Talk Me Off the Ledge or Give Me a Push.... I want blades back in my bag

If you want a set of blades, might I suggest doing something like I did. Buy an older set that are still relevant. I found a set of Nike TW blades for a steal and play them from time to time. I have hit some of my best shots with that set, and that’s coming from a guy that can post a triple digit score at a moments notice. If I have the itch, or my ball striking needs work, I break them out. The only problem with them is they are about a club and a half short on average.

I've played blades before. I know what I'm getting into. I've played MP68s for about a season and a half. The only spots I recall them being tough starts right at the 5 iron. I intend to go with something more friendly in the 4 and 5 spots. Thinking the HMB, 2 degrees weak.

I've played blades before. I know what I'm getting into. I've played MP68s for about a season and a half. The only spots I recall them being tough starts right at the 5 iron. I intend to go with something more friendly in the 4 and 5 spots. Thinking the HMB, 2 degrees weak.
All or nothing. No half @$$’ing :p But seriously, that @OldandStiff guy might have just dropped the mic.

I say do whatever lets you enjoy the game most. Unless golf is putting food in your belly and a roof over your head we're all just playing for fun anyway, so why not play whatever makes it the most fun?

For those that may be under the impression blades won't go as far as a CB etc....

Only one other club he hit further than the MB. Of course everyone's MMV.....but the point being blades can go as far or further than clubs perceived to be more forgiving.

1620081895561.png🤘

For those that may be under the impression blades won't go as far as a CB etc....

Only one other club he hit further than the MB. Of course everyone's MMV.....but the point being blades can go as far or further than clubs perceived to be more forgiving.

View attachment 9006254🤘

For someone who can center it 9/10 times sure. For the rest of us, 1/10 times they do:D But when they do, you just hold that pose and admire that shot.

Again....my mileage will vary....but his MB grouping was TOYT.....

1620082144210.png

Go for it, when I first started playing I had a J36 combo set and there was nothing better than flushing a blade 8 iron and seeing it stop on the green.
Back then those results happened very little though.

Again....my mileage will vary....but his MB grouping was TOYT.....

View attachment 9006255
When I got fit for my zx7s
I tried out the Wilson blades/cb and they were the other set of irons that kept up with the zx7 distances wise. Was very close to pulling that trigger haha. But the shaft choice wasn’t great so I went with the one I knew had a perfect match for me.

View attachment 9006254🤘

I am not certain but I believe Callaway’s current line includes one solid head muscle back design and one hollow head muscle back design. Of the two, the solid heads provides more reliable shot distance carry control, which is why Tour pros prefer solid to hollow (at least from 5-iron thru wedge).
If you are going to play muscle back irons I recommend solid heads.

I am not certain but I believe Callaway’s current line includes one solid head muscle back design and one hollow head muscle back design. Of the two, the solid heads provides more reliable shot distance carry control, which is why Tour pros prefer solid to hollow (at least from 5-iron thru wedge).
If you are going to play muscle back irons I recommend solid heads.

Will likely buy some MP20 MBs.

View attachment 9006254🤘

Color me unsurprised that he likes the TCB's. We have similar taste. When they tested stuff for his bag he said he'd likely play the MB 6-P and maybe the Pro 4 & 5, and I have a lot of rounds with that setup. And I love the TCB's, and want to play them the whole way through.

Love that they test outdoors, and that you can hear the differences between all 4 of them.

Color me unsurprised that he likes the TCB's. We have similar taste. When they tested stuff for his bag he said he'd likely play the MB 6-P and maybe the Pro 4 & 5, and I have a lot of rounds with that setup. And I love the TCB's, and want to play them the whole way through.

Love that they test outdoors, and that you can hear the differences between all 4 of them.

I think these guys are crushing content lately. Maybe not the most charismatic guys, but I like what they are doing.

Do it.... just do it. You know you want it.

It is happening. It went from a post asking the question to a done deal. Have not ordered yet, but it will happen this week.

Will likely buy some MP20 MBs.
MP 20 is a good choice. Also, it’s a relative large head size suitable for all skill levels, from beginner to Tour pro.
It’s been about 20 years since Mizuno (or any other major brand) produced an honestly small head size iron.

MP 20 is a good choice. Also, it’s a relative large head size suitable for all skill levels, from beginner to Tour pro.
It’s been about 20 years since Mizuno (or any other major brand) produced an honestly small head size iron.

Totally agree, which is why I'm going MP20. The head size isn't intimidating at all to me. I think my T100S irons have smaller heads.

Play what makes the game fun for you.

I think these guys are crushing content lately. Maybe not the most charismatic guys, but I like what they are doing.
Yeah, they've gotten better.

Just watched the last few minutes when I got home where they're talking about the clubs and results. He says what he had wanted to play before, and now wants the TCB's instead, but might still probably play a Pro 4i. That is my exact current setup. :LOL:

my dabble in the nike blades was fun...i wasn't very good at hitting them but i wasn't very good at anything back then...not much has changed but if i happened upon another set for a good deal, i'd be a blade playing sonofabish.

I’ll disagree haha. Only because I’ve run this experiment before. My lowest round ever was with blades. Even over a span of a year with each, my average round was within 2 strokes.

only majordifference for me were my misses. Misses with blades were short typically and more forgiving clubs they typically were side to side.

If I read this correctly your average round was higher with blades than non-blades though.

I am not surprised you could have a lowest round with blades. When you are hitting the center of the sweet spot it doesn’t matter what you are hitting. If you had a good day you could certainly go low with blades.

Back