Trottie Fitting Jason Gore at the Kingdom

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is a fun watch. I love what Trottie is saying to JG about his approach to choosing his driver setup.

SOOOO many little gems in this video.

NOTE: at the 20:55 ish mark when he mentions 2000 spin with the driver being too low at mid 160s ball speed. Trottie tells him the only way 2k spin works is if he is faster (i.e. 170s 180s ball speed).

So if you get a fitting and a fitter is telling you that 2k spin (or less) is ideal (assuming you are 160 or less ball speed), you may want to get your money back.

NOTE: at the 20:55 ish mark when he mentions 2000 spin with the driver being too low at mid 160s ball speed. Trottie tells him the only way 2k spin works is if he is faster (i.e. 170s 180s ball speed).

So if you get a fitting and a fitter is telling you that 2k spin (or less) is ideal (assuming you are 160 or less ball speed), you may want to get your money back.

so freaking true. i've mentioned this on thp before, but i watched pga tour member chris baker get fit. when they were hitting driver, i asked what launch and spin they were looking for and said "17 17?" as in 1,700 spin and 17* launch like the sldr marketing told us. the fitter laughed at me and said absolutely not. he said he was trying to land in 2,500 - 2,700 rpm range. that was his ideal window for control without sacrificing too much distance.

and yet we STILL see fitters trying to get spin at or even below 2k. i don't want to believe it, but it really feels like it's an unfortunate result of the launch monitor wars. give me launch and spin. you can keep your knuckleballs.

so freaking true. i've mentioned this on thp before, but i watched pga tour member chris baker get fit. when they were hitting driver, i asked what launch and spin they were looking for and said "17 17?" as in 1,700 spin and 17* launch like the sldr marketing told us. the fitter laughed at me and said absolutely not. he said he was trying to land in 2,500 - 2,700 rpm range. that was his ideal window for control without sacrificing too much distance.

and yet we STILL see fitters trying to get spin at or even below 2k. i don't want to believe it, but it really feels like it's an unfortunate result of the launch monitor wars. give me launch and spin. you can keep your knuckleballs.

I can see how it happens. We get on a LM and we start swinging out of our shoes trying to impress ourselves and our fitter. Walk away with something. Get to the course and reality sets in.
I'm guilty of it. I do it all the time at the range fitting my self by what I see. I have TSi2 and TSi3 heads and multiple shafts, so I enjoy trying out different setups. I'm swinging harder and faster and find a setup I like. Then I take it to the course and it is a hot mess.

Was a good watch. Thanks for posting. I kind of bounce back and forth on how I feel about listening to Trottie talk, but I always enjoy his thoughts on stuff like that.

Back