Do Dress Codes Bother You?

I think obsessed is a strong word, but I have no issues with any paying member of a club having concerns about the collective apparel choices when they go to the club. People have paid their money to that specific location with the expectation that they get the experience the course lays out for them, and when others don't abide by those conditions, I can absolutely accept that it would bother them.

I'll give you a simple example of this.. My course has in their dress code the expectation that hats are to be worn forward. I think it's a bit overkill, however as a 20 year member of the club, I've always respected the rule, even though I enjoy flipping my hat backwards at times. If I see someone not respecting that aspect of our dress code, I'll certainly make a comment about it to the group with a laugh, but probably not to staff. Am I being obsessed? Nah. Am I observing someone who isn't doing what they should be doing? Definitely.

Yeah that's fair, and again a rule is a rule, I get that. And if you know the rule either follow it or don't go there, can't argue with that as I mentioned in my 3rd bullet. What I am really speaking to is exactly what you mentioned... why do the silly rules get created in the first place. Or in the absence of rules, it is really unnecessary to give people grief. For example, most munis allow jeans. Not my cup of tea, but some wear them in the cooler weather. Fine, there's no rule against it. Yet if some dude in another foursome is wearing jeans, inevitably someone will make a comment. Why? Who cares? No rule against it, leave the guy alone. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

I’m becoming more and more a fan of dress codes

After seeing that, I'd be more of a fan of adding haircut codes too. :ROFLMAO: He looks like Pebbles from the Flintstones stuck her finger in a light socket.

I'm 90% sure at this point I have to play with left handed junior clubs with one eye closed and an arm tied behind my back.

...and 25 a side :ROFLMAO:
Don't forget the swim fins I will demand you wear.

Everybody look at me!

I don't mind the dress codes for playing golf or eating in the clubhouse, but when it's 98* and 100% humidity I'd love to be able to wear a performance T-shirt and gym shorts on the practice range.

This whole topic of discussion reminds me of something I experienced many years ago as a junior member of my golf club in England... when Tiger won the 2005 Masters, he wore a red collarless short sleeved Nike top (pretty much the same as the one he wore in winning the 2019 Masters). As a young impressionable golfer that idolised Tiger, I wanted the same top. I was lucky enough for my parents to buy me one and I proudly wore it to the golf club with smart trousers and shoes. I was on the grounds for less than 5 minutes before being literally shouted at by an adult member - no collarless tops allowed, get changed or leave... Tiger won the Masters at one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the world, televised to millions wearing this item of clothing. I wasn’t allowed to wear it for a quick 9 holes. Glad to say that things have come a long way at English golf clubs since but they are still generally painfully behind the times.

Dress codes don't bother me at all, honestly my home course has one, don't know how much they actually enforce it, but at the high rate of membership numbers increasing if the dress code scares some away that's ok, it'll just open up the tee sheet more!

Dress codes don't bother me at all, honestly my home course has one, don't know how much they actually enforce it, but at the high rate of membership numbers increasing if the dress code scares some away that's ok, it'll just open up the tee sheet more!

Easy for a guy who plays golf in a suit.

~Rock

The dress code might be a small hurdle to get over, but really: you can get that stuff used or as an unbranded product.
And it's not even weird. Wearing a golf kit, you wouldn't look out of place in any setting right up until proper business attire is required.

Outside of pretty much everything, the most troubling aspect of this is the ancient golf clubs lmao
If that showed up at your course and needed a club to hit, what would you hand over?! :LOL:

#where'sthelostandfoundpile

If that showed up at your course and needed a club to hit, what would you hand over?! :LOL:

#where'sthelostandfoundpile
I'd rather leave my club than accept that abortion of an experience existing on my golf course.

No issue with a dress code, if you have a issue with the standard of attire whereby it bothers you enough not to play ,, then there’s more pressing mental health issues at play , it such a minor part of the game to dress as required , many other games have specific standards of dress , wonder if they , participants have similar views as to the standard required in those games / sports ? l think there was a comment re dress code , responsible for slow play of participation ? No sure that relatable

No issue with a dress code, if you have a issue with the standard of attire whereby it bothers you enough not to play ,, then there’s more pressing mental health issues at play , it such a minor part of the game to dress as required , many other games have specific standards of dress , wonder if they , participants have similar views as to the standard required in those games / sports ? l think there was a comment re dress code , responsible for slow play of participation ? No sure that relatable
Just a challenge, but couldn't the bolded section be just as easily flipped to be an argument that dress codes shouldn't be necessary? What other people are wearing shouldn't affect anybody but the person wearing the clothes.

I don't have an issue following dress codes and I'd probably wear similar clothing (golf polo/shorts) if there were no requirements, but I think they're kind of silly. At best dress codes unnecessary and at worse exclusionary. Let people wear what is most comfortable for them (within reason)

Just a challenge, but couldn't the bolded section be just as easily flipped to be an argument that dress codes shouldn't be necessary? What other people are wearing shouldn't affect anybody but the person wearing the clothes.

I don't have an issue following dress codes and I'd probably wear similar clothing (golf polo/shorts) if there were no requirements, but I think they're kind of silly. At best dress codes unnecessary and at worse exclusionary. Let people wear what is most comfortable for them (within reason)
Disagree , many events in life have dress codes especially major events ,,,

equally dress videos apply in for example the military , for bands , for associations and clubs . If we for arguments sake, have dress code relaxed , how about we relax rules of the game too ?

Dress codes are demonstrably a display of purpose and example of behaviour as is compliance to the rules / regulations of the game. There are equally venues where golf can be played albeit pseudo version of the game ie: ranges / top golf/ or simulated golf that facilitates relaxed attire.

Disagree , many events in life have dress codes especially major events ,,,

equally dress videos apply in for example the military , for bands , for associations and clubs . If we for arguments sake, have dress code relaxed , how about we relax rules of the game too ?

Dress codes are demonstrably a display of purpose and example of behaviour as is compliance to the rules / regulations of the game. There are equally venues where golf can be played albeit pseudo version of the game ie: ranges / top golf/ or simulated golf that facilitates relaxed attire.
I respect your opinion and am glad there are places that you are allowed to made comfortable by others dressing the way you do. I'd only say no to dress codes if forced to pick a side as I don't have strong feelings about it either way and I'm not trying to argue that dress codes shouldn't exist, just challenging the statement you made "'if you have a issue with the standard of attire whereby it bothers you enough not to play ,, then there’s more pressing mental health issues at play " because I think that it could equally attack both sides of the argument.

I respect your opinion and am glad there are places that you are allowed to made comfortable by others dressing the way you do. I'd only say no to dress codes if forced to pick a side as I don't have strong feelings about it either way and I'm not trying to argue that dress codes shouldn't exist, just challenging the statement you made "'if you have a issue with the standard of attire whereby it bothers you enough not to play ,, then there’s more pressing mental health issues at play " because I think that it could equally attack both sides of the argument.
I think that dress code issue is a minor issue , it more important to play and enjoy the game which l would reckon we both love ) and respect the rules and play fairly by them .

And finish a round with mates , an smile 😊

Let people wear what is most comfortable for them (within reason)
who decides what is with in reason? Isn’t that generally speaking the entire debate?

who decides what is with in reason? Isn’t that generally speaking the entire debate?
I mostly just meant if it's something that isn't hateful and wouldn't get you arrested to wear in public, it's fine by me.

Reckon we are all on the same page so to speak 📖😂🏌🏼

So going to the range today reminded me of this thread - they were holding a junior tournament (hs) and boys and girls were well dressed. :) Regular guys on the range and many women were dressed traditionally.:) But the least-worst dressed today were women! :confused: Noticed more women wearing gym shorts and t-shirts today and looking like they ran out of the house to the range. :oops:

:unsure:

Back