Once again, cancer sucks...

You and your family are in my prayers!

Other than prayers for those fighting it, this is one thread I didn't expect to be posting in.
I won't go through all of the details, but after coming home from our Florida vacation, my wife complained of a pain in her right ribcage and in her back. Of course she attributed it to laying on the beach and an overly soft bed, none the less, she went to her personal friend who is an MD and his first thought was gallbladder....tested it and did an ultra sound, nope not the gallbladder. Finally did a CT scan and it revealed some lesions on her liver....had a biopsy yesterday and confirmed than she has pancreatic cancer that mastestises to her liver. To say that we are in total shock is an understatement!
So sorry to hear this!

My mother-in-law was diagnosed within the last few months, and already has gone through surgery followed by starting chemo. The first chemo hit did not go well, and after a week of deteriorating spent 5 days in the ICU. She just got home, and while in ICY lost the strength to rise and manage on her own. We are rallying around her, but even with three grown kids all chipping in, its a LOT to worry about someone 24-7. For my part, I'm doing my best to watch our kids and house and let my wife do as she needs to care for her Mom. All hands on deck.

My mother-in-law was diagnosed within the last few months, and already has gone through surgery followed by starting chemo. The first chemo hit did not go well, and after a week of deteriorating spent 5 days in the ICU. She just got home, and while in ICY lost the strength to rise and manage on her own. We are rallying around her, but even with three grown kids all chipping in, its a LOT to worry about someone 24-7. For my part, I'm doing my best to watch our kids and house and let my wife do as she needs to care for her Mom. All hands on deck.
So true. I moved from Ohio(my stomping grounds) to Nashville, and eventually about a hour away when we got married. I have no brothers/sisters or relatives remotely close so I'm relying on friends(golfing buddies) as well as other friends as my support along with her daughters. I was pretty much of a happy-go-lucky guy and my wife was usually there to keep me in line...so to speak, now I have to assume the responsibility and be the go too. I do know that they are going to be using gene therapy to identify the markers along with chemo to get results. We'll see!

We have a storied relationship with cancer. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer in December 1990 and passed away the following May. I was working for our Chicago office when he was diagnosed and there was already a plan in place to transfer me to Dallas where he lived. That transfer took place in February and I lived with my parent through the time of my father's death and until our new house was completed in June. My dad and I would play golf together a lot when I visited on vacations which he was too sick to do in those last few months while I was there but those months turned out to be my most cherished time with him as prior to his death as we would play cribbage every night after I got home from work until he would fall asleep in his recliner.

Last June my wife was brushing off crumbs when she felt a lump in her left breast nearer the sternum. After several scans, biopsies and tests she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Initially, due to the lump's small size she was considered stage 1 and a decision was made to just do a lumpectomy instead of any kind of mastectomy. When the surgeon went in the tumor was larger than expected, making her stage 2, and they did not get clean margins though one lymph node was removed which was totally clear of cancer, so thankfully no spread. She had to have a second surgery to insure clean margins and she did go through a series of radiation treatments. She was told that was not to "kill" any remaining cancer but to prevent its return but I don't know how that works. To date, she remains free from any cancer though she goes for frequent mammograms, blood work, a recent bone marrow aspiration which showed "no cancer" in her body and has to take a certain medication every day due to the kind of breast cancer she had.

Just prior to my first knee replacement in 2014, since TKRs are considered "elective surgery" I had to go through a complete workup, EKG, blood work, chest x-rays, the works. Turns out the blood showed an elevated white blood count and I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). Since getting that diagnosis, several other acquaintances and friends have also gotten that diagnosis. Although considered "rare", it seems to be fairly common among us older males (60+). I typically go to my hematologist/oncologist every three months where he checks for an enlarged spleen and lymph nodes, though I have not seen him in person in just over a year due to COVID. I still get bloodwork done every three months and maybe once a year they do what is called a "Flow Test" which looks at the blood on a more cellular level as well as usually a bone marrow aspiration about once a year. The five year survival rate is 83% so I have that going for me and my Doc keeps saying I am "doing well" with this disease and no treatment of any kind has been required at this point.

So, my father didn't fare very well with his cancer, but my wife and I, knock on wood, are lucky and I guess are considered cancer survivors though I still live with it..

Cancer Sucks!

My uncle died from cancer. The only time I ever saw my dad cry was when we were praying over him in hospice. It waa horrible. Really horrific stuff.

Hey - this is always a tough one to check in on. My buddy Ray has had a couple good weeks. His daughter from Philly has been staying with him, able to work online and all. He's got a decent appetite and pain management better. A lot of quality time...

Real quick, throw one up for my Dad, not cancer, but an ugly deal with trigeminal neuralgia (no idea on the spelling) after nearly a year he has surgery scheduled for 6/4 about a week before his 70th birthday. All the meds and diet stuff has him all jacked up (low sodium) and in the hospital for a couple nights, hopefully home tomorrow. Toughest guy I've ever known, doesn't do well in a hospital bed... a real rub some dirt on it type... anyways, if this doesn't kill him, my Mom and her diet restrictions probably will... (just kidding Mom) I told my wife he probably needs a beer and some bacon... but I'm not a doctor... thanks all.

Hey - forgive me for selfish thoughts tonight. Really, prayers up for everyone on this site and all the friends and loved ones affected.

Best wishes for your dad and your friend and everyone out there with health issues.

Hey - this is always a tough one to check in on. My buddy Ray has had a couple good weeks. His daughter from Philly has been staying with him, able to work online and all. He's got a decent appetite and pain management better. A lot of quality time...

Real quick, throw one up for my Dad, not cancer, but an ugly deal with trigeminal neuralgia (no idea on the spelling) after nearly a year he has surgery scheduled for 6/4 about a week before his 70th birthday. All the meds and diet stuff has him all jacked up (low sodium) and in the hospital for a couple nights, hopefully home tomorrow. Toughest guy I've ever known, doesn't do well in a hospital bed... a real rub some dirt on it type... anyways, if this doesn't kill him, my Mom and her diet restrictions probably will... (just kidding Mom) I told my wife he probably needs a beer and some bacon... but I'm not a doctor... thanks all.

My late father-in-law had trigeminal neuralgia and ultimately underwent the surgery. IIRC, it improved his overall condition, but he traded some issues for others. Can't remember what they were, to be honest. Best of luck to him.

Hey - forgive me for selfish thoughts tonight.

Don't even worry about that. We got you. Prayers and good vibes for your Dad and buddy.

Just found out my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 Melanoma , they originally thought it was lung cancer, but confirmed it was not. She has a mass near her sternum that is inoperable due to it's location. It can't be treated by chemo or radiation. She will be undergoing immunotherapy over a 2 year period. She is also trying to get into a trial drug (has to be accepted into the trial) to go along with the immunotherapy.
This SUCKS !!!!! She was never a smoker or drinker, always in great shape, ran track cross country, continued to coach up until 2019. Mother of 6, grandmother of 11. One of the most positive, welcoming people you would ever meet.
Please keep her and her family in your prayers!

Just found out my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 Melanoma , they originally thought it was lung cancer, but confirmed it was not. She has a mass near her sternum that is inoperable due to it's location. It can't be treated by chemo or radiation. She will be undergoing immunotherapy over a 2 year period. She is also trying to get into a trial drug (has to be accepted into the trial) to go along with the immunotherapy.
This SUCKS !!!!! She was never a smoker or drinker, always in great shape, ran track cross country, continued to coach up until 2019. Mother of 6, grandmother of 11. One of the most positive, welcoming people you would ever meet.

Sending prayers and positive vibes.....πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Hate to hear this! My father has Stage 4 and has responded tremendously to chemo and radiation! Stay positive!

Sorry to hear this πŸ™πŸ»

I am well aware of how you are feeling now. They will be in my prayers!

My girlfriend had Surgery Monday for Breast cancer. Hopefully she will come thru healthy.
It sucks watching someone else close go thru this but it does make one appreciate life just a bit more!

My girlfriend had Surgery Monday for Breast cancer. Hopefully she will come thru healthy.
It sucks watching someone else close go thru this but it does make one appreciate life just a bit more!
AMEN!

I just found out that I have 2 types of skin cancer (Sebaceous Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma).
The Sebaceous is on my back and the Squamous is on the back of my right hand.
Both will have to be removed and then decide on future treatments.
This is all due to the inherited mutated gene I got from my mom. She had 7 different kinds of cancer over 30 years before the lung cancer killed her.
So far I have had 3 different ones now. The 2 new ones and the colon cancer in 2005.

Wishing well to all of us dealing with cancer, whether you have it or someone you love does !!

Cancer really does suck !

Prayers for your healing. Everyone's healing.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Jeff! We will definitely be keeping your family in our thoughts!

Seeing Gary Player's wife of 64 years just passed from cancer. Very sad.

Positive thoughts for all.

Wanted to share some good news, just got done with the Dr appointment with my urologist. 3 years cancer free now and PSA is at lowest level it has ever been. Don't have to have a checkup for another year.

Wanted to share some good news, just got done with the Dr appointment with my urologist. 3 years cancer free now and PSA is at lowest level it has ever been. Don't have to have a checkup for another year.

GREAT news ... congrats!! πŸ’ͺ

Back