First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

My short game has become my strength these last few rounds. The 58* Zipcore is just so good for me around the green. Still amazed at how well it gets thru the thick stuff. Allows you to attack holes, and know you have a solid club ready to rescue you if needed.

Finally got to play today. I have to get use to these. Chipping and pitching the ball jumps off the face compared to my old Mizuno wedges. I was long on most.
This shot was from 116 yards with 46 degree. Just a choked down easy swing. Of course missed the birdie putt and made par.
View attachment 9006481
Once you get more comfortable watch out, this will be a great club for you!

I've just finished making what I think is my 5th dedicated effort to play my Zipcores. Where I move them from bag to bag and only play them for a good run of rounds. I just don't think they're right for me and where I play.

I absolutely love the shape behind that ball. The whole look in general fits my eye. And I really like the 54/10 greenside out to about 25/30 yards. It's got great versatility in mixed bermuda rough. Feels precise.

I don't love them on more full approach though. Love the look of them blending with my smaller irons, and they feel nice enough (little different though), but they just don't generate the same spin as others for me in this turf. There are a few shots I can't play the same with them.

I've worked the pair pretty good by now, and they look pretty nice with the black on black paint fill, so I'll probably pass them to a friend instead of sell them. Still have a pretty fresh 50* I used with my ZX7 until that AW came though. Not sure what I should do with that.

Last edited:
I've just finished making what I think is my 5th dedicated effort to play my Zipcores. Where I move them from bag to bag and only play them for a good run of rounds. I just don't think they're right for me and where I play.

I absolutely love the shape behind that ball. The whole look in general fits my eye. And I really like the 54/10 greenside out to about 25/30 yards. It's got great versatility in mixed bermuda rough. Feels precise.

I don't love them on more full approach though. Love the look of them blending with my smaller irons, and they feel nice enough (little different though), but they just don't generate the same spin as others for me in this turf. There are a few shots I can't play the same with them.

I've worked the pair pretty good by now, and they look pretty nice with the black on black paint fill, so I'll probably pass them to a friend instead of sell them. Still have a pretty fresh 50* I used with my ZX7 until that AW came though. Not sure what I should do with that.
That why it's nice to have options, because not everything works well for everyone. I play RTX-3 in 50 and 54, and the Zipcore in 58. For me and the conditions i play, the Zipcore around the green and in think rough is near perfection. Get along well with the RTX-3, but the Zipcore just adds more. I've only played Cleveland wedges, so it's a look I'm comfortable with too.

I'd be interested to hear your grassy thoughts on the ZX7 AW vs the ZipCore 50*. That is a pretty interesting comparison for a few reasons. Both are clubs a person using the ZX7 irons would be tempted to choose between for same brand wedge options. . I assume the ZX7 is a little more blade-y where the ZipCore is a little more wedge-y?

I'd be interested to hear your grassy thoughts on the ZX7 AW vs the ZipCore 50*. That is a pretty interesting comparison for a few reasons. Both are clubs a person using the ZX7 irons would be tempted to choose between for same brand wedge options. . I assume the ZX7 is a little more blade-y where the ZipCore is a little more wedge-y?

ZX7 definitely feels more blade wedge-y. Lol. They're similar-ish shape, I suppose. You can tell they're related, but they're really pretty different. The Zipcore only comes stock in a 50 with a Mid bounce(10). The ZX7 AW comes 51/08 and I play it at 50/07. V sole on the 7, tad of trail relief on the ZP, but not really the same shape at all. Just an entirely different camber. 7 has the notch at the heel and toe, too. ZP has what looks like an ever so slightly more rounded leading edge, and a couple more and tighter grooves. Flight and spin are definitely a little different depending on what you're trying to do and where on the face. 7 plays more like a V Sole-d Vokey with like a baby-D grind. They feel miles apart. One is cast with the Zipcore, the other is an endo forged with differently distributed mass. The ZP feel odd to me. I hear soft a lot with them, but they're kind of dead-ish to me, even though they're lively off the face. And yeah, the 7 is less hot. Other than that stuff, same same. :LOL:

I found a satin 54 hanging around here too that I never played much. What to do... :unsure:

I enjoy seeing how folks experience slightly different things with the same clubs. I agree the ZipCores have a bit of a lively face but I would describe them more solid feeling compared to dead.

I enjoy seeing how folks experience slightly different things with the same clubs. I agree the ZipCores have a bit of a lively face but I would describe them more solid feeling compared to dead.
Yeah, me too. My buddies and I are always going rounds about feels. Really individual and highly dependent on what you're used to and what you like. Even the ball you play off them. One man's butter is another man's Nutiva Coconut Manna...

I found a satin 54 hanging around here too that I never played much. What to do... :unsure:
Collateral for some new gear? Get it in the hands of someone so they can try out the wedge? Which I personally really enjoy. Give it one more go? Too good looking of a club to just sit, those wedges are meant for working :p

Collateral for some new gear? Get it in the hands of someone so they can try out the wedge? Which I personally really enjoy. Give it one more go? Too good looking of a club to just sit, those wedges are meant for working :p
Yeah, that's my favorite of the zipcores I've tried. The one I really like greenside. Most of my guys have tried them along the way, and a couple have them, so I was thinking prize for the weekly couples scramble, or a contest giveaway or something. I'm ruminating...

Yeah, me too. My buddies and I are always going rounds about feels. Really individual and highly dependent on what you're used to and what you like. Even the ball you play off them. One man's butter is another man's Nutiva Coconut Manna...
agreed, some balls feel real soft of it, others has a nice firm grab feeling

I picked up a 60° from a friend of mine. He said he kept sculling all of his shots with it. I told him to try to open the face a little. He said he didn't like doing that. I jokingly said "How much?" "$75.00" Me, "SOLD"

f

Last edited:
That circle will play

Attachments

• 4688F620-E681-4BFB-B21E-7FFF33BB491B.jpeg
    4688F620-E681-4BFB-B21E-7FFF33BB491B.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 35
Screenshot_20210518-074232_Gmail.jpg
I love opening email and seeing this. Ordered a customized/personalized 58 degree. It will be at the house Friday but will be another 9 days before I'm home from work. I will post pictures when I unbox.

Just showed up. 5 year anniversary gift from work. I play a cbx 52 so got this to match

Now that's a GOOD work anniversary gift. Enjoy!

I played my zippers today with the ZX7 and they bothered me. lol I know they're not for me a this point, but I keep trying, and I should stop. The size and soles are a good match for those clubs, and I was playing a different ball today, but they just perform too far off the norm of my usual blade wedges. Too lively, not enough zip, just less precise. I think they're great in ways and most won't be bothered by any of it, but I need to put them away. I had a chance to finish strong and would have been right on it with another wedge. Salty about it. I think I'd probably play a 50* with a the ZX7 if I didn't have a set AW, but that's about it. Time to put them away for good. I tried, but c'est la vie.

And they fit my wedge game to a tee. A little love but enough versatility. I love how this game allows for all different types.

I played my first round with the 50* mid/10 ZipCore tonight. Stock shaft felt pretty good. Even playing with a Srixon Soft Feel ball I was able to get some really good stopping power.
Need a few more rounds with it but I like the first outing

2nd round with the 50° Zipcore today. Couple things stand out to me, the balance feels really good with the stock spinner shaft and it's really easy to flight a ball with this wedge.
I managed to hit the flagstick from 81 yards today so that was good distance control and aim. Had one other shot from 102 that I left 3 feet from the pin for a nice tap in birdie.
No issues at all getting thru damp turf. I use the 50 a lot around the green for chipping and get some really good action from the ball for hop and stop or some rollout if needed.

2nd round with the 50° Zipcore today. Couple things stand out to me, the balance feels really good with the stock spinner shaft and it's really easy to flight a ball with this wedge.
I managed to hit the flagstick from 81 yards today so that was good distance control and aim. Had one other shot from 102 that I left 3 feet from the pin for a nice tap in birdie.
No issues at all getting thru damp turf. I use the 50 a lot around the green for chipping and get some really good action from the ball for hop and stop or some rollout if needed.
The Zipcore is amazing from all sorts of rough. Just gets through so easy, delivering the clubhead just as you intend.

Back