Would you rather... (blow up hole related)

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This occurred to me while going through the "Blow Up Hole" thread.

Would you rather "score well" not playing your best? OR- Apparently feel like you played well, but not get the score?

Score is secondary to how I feel on the course. If I felt confident after a round that would be good enough for me.

Plenty of times I feel like I played well but didn't score so I'll take the opposite.

I would much rather feel better about my play. Both of those situations have happened recently and I was happier at the end when I felt like I was playing well and hitting good shots even if the score wasn't there

I would prefer to score well. The game is how many not how. If I don't hit it great I will try to figure it out after the round.

Feel better then score. In my head the better feeling will translate to future rounds and better rounds.

Depends on the bets, and sometimes who I might beat or lose to:cool: Most casual rounds are more about the enjoying the people, hoping everyone plays well enough to enjoy the day, and maybe enjoy a new course too. Then it's more about hitting some good/great shots to talk about over a beer.

This occurred to me while going through the "Blow Up Hole" thread.

Would you rather "score well" not playing your best? OR- Apparently feel like you played well, but not get the score?
I fool myself, all the time, into believing I played well, but the score just didn't reflect it :ROFLMAO:

I'm more frustrated from playing well and not scoring than I am scoring well while not having my best game.

When I shot my low score of the last few years, I didn't really do anything really well except get the ball in the hole quicker than usual. I had a round last summer in which I struck the ball as well as I can remember. But bad game management and a few bad shots cost me a sub 80 round. I enjoyed the low score more.

Playing well = happy round.
Playing poorly = mopey round.

Casual round - feel. If it doesn't really matter I just want to feel like it went decently well. Preferrably getting better than worse towards the end too.

Non casual - score. Scores, monies, brackets, and most people, don't care how I felt about it. lol Just the result.

Yea...I wanna score well. But I will say if I hit my drivers and irons well and somehow have a bad day putting and score higher...I'm gonna be pretty happy. That's specific to me cause I struggle so much with irons and driver.

Timely question...

I'm a 7 in our 9 hole league. I shot a +7 42 last night, so - right at my handicap. Good score, good round, right?

It was smoke and mirrors. I couldn't get off the tee and left all my approaches about a club short. No doubles, but only 2 pars and the rest bogeys.

I left feeling like I had gotten away with something. I suppose in a way it was a good round because I didn't have my best stuff but contained the damage...?

Score for me. Always about the score. I was surprised to shoot a 77 last weekend as didn’t think I’d played anywhere near that well. Ultimately, if I don’t score well, then I don’t feel I’ve played well. Maybe there is one facet of my game that has performed, but obviously something hasn’t worked for me to not score well.

I'd rather score well playing poorly than play well and score poorly.

This happens to me when I play. I feel I played well but my score says No, I didn't. Now, I don't trust that feeling and know it's lying to me.:LOL:

I never play my best consistently, so when I score well it's usually a mix of playing well, scrambling well, escaping trouble well, and putting well. In 43 years of pretty good golf, the number of rounds hitting 15 or more greens in regulation for me has to be very small as a percentage of total rounds.

To answer the question, I always like scoring well because it means I probably did quite a few things well to accomplish it!

I’d rather score well not playing my best

I would rather feel good about how I am playing. Since I don't play for money or in tournaments the score really doesn't matter. I WANT to lower my score, but if I finish and I feel good but my score doesn't reflect that I still feel good about my round.

I'd always rather shoot the lower score. That said, I don't really ever go out there and hit a bunch of greens and play poorly anyway. Ball striking is always going to be the biggest reason I shoot my worst scores.

I’ve done both recently, and will take the better score.

Played the best I’ve played tee-to-green in recent memory a couple months ago, had some unlucky putting breaks, shot 82.

Also that same month, I played “ok” but not great. Some lucky breaks, some really good shots “when I needed them,” and also some really crappy shots. Not my best overall day.. shot 76.

I’ll take the 76.

Score well, there are no pictures on the score card. I don't care how it gets done or how it looks as long as I am shooting low numbers.

Score Well! im down for some lucky saves and "members" bounces if it gets my score lower

I’m a 42 year old divorced man. No one gives a crap about my feelings.

I’ll take the score.

But I’ll try to have a good time either way.

Playing well = happy round.
Playing poorly = mopey round.

Almost hits the luckiest HIO ever..... on hole 3, I’m already down one and in the drink. We shall not mention what happened next.

Back