Would you rather... (blow up hole related)

If I'm hitting good shots, getting the GIRs, I'm usually 3 putting a lot more because I'm on the green from greater than 40 feet away from the hole -- essentially an on the green scramble. If I'm hitting poor shots and scoring the same as I was in the above situation, I'm chipping and pitching well usually resulting from a poor shot elsewhere; hitting some miracle recovery shots; and basically showing how bad one can play to get that score. I feel better after situation number 1 because I feel I can easily get better putting with some practice.... that scenario gives me false hope.

I'd rather be pleased with how I felt I played. If I think my game was good but I didn't score I'll feel much more confident next time out. I could certainly luck into a good round and leave the course thinking oh man I'm in trouble next round.

Having done a lot of both, I walk away a lot happier with the good score after not playing as well. And if I ended up with a good score, it means at least *some* part of my game was working well. I’ll take the 80 that felt like a 90 over the 90 that felt like an 80.

Score !

I did this today and would take the score every time. I thought I was having the worst round I’ve had in years and shot 86 which is my average ballpark. Just keeping it in play saved me but I just couldn’t get in any type of rhythm, army golf type of day, felt like I’d be in the 100’s for sure. I’ll take the score and run

This occurred to me while going through the "Blow Up Hole" thread.

Would you rather "score well" not playing your best? OR- Apparently feel like you played well, but not get the score?
Feel well, definitely.
If you're happy about living life as a millionaire, but you're actually homeless and a little crazy, are you happy? Yes!

This occurred to me while going through the "Blow Up Hole" thread.

Would you rather "score well" not playing your best? OR- Apparently feel like you played well, but not get the score?
I'll take the score! I would rather shoot low feeling like I didn't have my best ball striking day than feel like I was striking the ball well just not scoring.

Some days the bounces just don't go your way and there are NO points for style.

Last edited:
Give me the good score and “playing badly”

Too often I feel like I did well but the score didn’t reflect it. Yesterday was one of those days. 83, which isn’t bad per se, but I felt like I hit it soooo much better than that.

Almost hits the luckiest HIO ever..... on hole 3, I’m already down one and in the drink. We shall not mention what happened next.
Almost had that one totally repressed.

Almost had that one totally repressed.

Sorry buddy, you’ll have to block me to forget it. Ben and Adam too although they’re probably not as big of as a jerk about it as me, 🤣

Sorry buddy, you’ll have to block me to forget it. Ben and Adam too although they’re probably not as big of as a jerk about it as me, 🤣
You and Ben need to have a showdown. He crushing it off the tee lately.

I play golf to have fun. So that’s my main focus, but to me playing my best and posting good scores is also fun - I’m internally competitive.

So while I want to feel good, my aim is to post a good score.

I also play rounds and don’t keep score sometimes when I feel stressed out from work and just need to let the golf happen.

You and Ben need to have a showdown. He crushing it off the tee lately.

Haha. No we don’t then, 🤣

Hitting off the tee in very very limited action has been the only thing I’ve done well. Vaccine clinics are finally slowing down. I may see a course again!

Sometimes I'm a little surprised, but the score and how I felt I played are normally very close. Luck is less of a factor either way and I'd like to think I have a decent grasp on which parts of my game were above or below average.

Back