Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Those who have hit the ZX7 and ZX5 side by side - did you notice any tangible differences in dispersion and distances?

Caveat is I'm rebuilding my swing after a long injury layoff. I found that I actually hit the ZX7 8i as long as the ZX5 7i. Yes, that makes no logical sense, but now after having hit ZX5 6-PW and ZX7 7-PW (same shaft, etc, off grass), I can say that my consistency of contact is better with the ZX7. I do hit the ZX5 6i quite well though, curious if I'd hit the ZX7 6i as well - that might be my breaking point.

I think it is pretty much due to the narrower sole getting through the turf better for my current swing, which is a tad steep and taking decent divots. I think most people would find a bit more distance with ZX5 and maybe better dispersion. But in my hands at the moment, ZX7 wins.

Shop called me today to say that Srixon are absolutely stacked with orders and I won't get my ZX7's until the end of June.
Just have to wait but man that is a long wait.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Shop called me today to say that Srixon are absolutely stacked with orders and I won't get my ZX7's until the end of June.
Just have to wait but man that is a long wait.

That is beyond depressing. I know a guy here who's in the same boat. There better be some seriously cool clubs coming in the future because people are getting pretty bitter about all this waiting and aren't looking to repeat it anytime soon. Plus, if anyone does sell their stuff at the end of the year, there's going to be some pretty fresh faces/grooves on the secondary market if people only get to play half a season with them.

That is beyond depressing. I know a guy here who's in the same boat. There better be some seriously cool clubs coming in the future because people are getting pretty bitter about all this waiting and aren't looking to repeat it anytime soon. Plus, if anyone does sell their stuff at the end of the year, there's going to be some pretty fresh faces/grooves on the secondary market if people only get to play half a season with them.
I'm a bit annoyed because we've been in lockdown from December until late March and I called the shop twice a week to check if these had come in.
I was the first to hit them, hell I unwrapped the plastic from them! Yet still there's such a massive wait.
I've bought them to keep so I'm not too fussed about resale but that's a good chunk of the summer I'm missing out on.

So I own the z565 with stock Nippon pro shafts and overall love them.
Last year got good deal on new cobra forged tecs so bought them. They weren't better. Maybe my custom order was wrong as went .25 short ( am 5'8) and 1 flat with stiff $tsper lite shafts. Missed right a lot as if ball wouldn't turn over for a draw.
Fast forward this year and was thinking of replacing the forged tecs.

Went to demo the zx5,7 against the forged tecs as I have good trade in deal.

Looks wise Srixon are nicer at address less offset and better topline.

Was hitting zx5 with modus tour 105s and zx7 with the 120s
And was using the stock forged tecs off the demo cart so std loft lie and length.

First thing I noticed was feel. The hollow forged tecs felt the best. Was a dense yet solid and soft feel. The zx5 was a bit clicky and the zx7 was solid but also not as dense feeling as the Cobra.

Next thing I noticed was the spin difference.

The zx5 7 iron using a prov1 was getting sounding the mid to high 4000 range.

Zx7 was hitting the mid to high 5000 range

Cobra hit 6000 to 6500.

Launch angles were all within 1 degree.

Ball speed was highest zx5 at 115 to 120

Cobra was 114 to 119
Zx7 112 to 118

Dispersion was best by far with Cobra.
No matter how hard I swung every thing was straight to a 3 yard draw.

The zx5 wanted to go left.
Zx7 was close to cobra but not as good.

So the cobra's despite less loft were the highest spinning straightest and best feeling.

They were in between the 5 and the 7 distance wise but thing that was mostly about spin.

So I think I won't rush to replace them with the Srixon as I joined a new course this year and the greens are firmer and faster so approach soon will be key to holding greens.

It is too bad as I love the looks and my old 565 were long soaring clubs.

Now the question I have is could 1/4 inch and 1 degree flat have such an effect on my results? I can't believe how good I hit the Cobra in store and have not seen that often on course last year.

In fairness am working on a swing adjustment after long layoff over winter due to Covid restrictions and maybe I am finally getting swing grooved in (started to see ball striking improvement after last range session last week).

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

built a set of ZX7 with MMT 95S and played them cold this past Friday. Never hit one before, not even in the monitor. I've played Z745 and 765 in the past but not for a couple years. Shot a personal best 73 (I'm a 9.2 HC) at my local course and for the time being, these have earned their spot in the bag. Every time I come back to them, I wonder why I ever stopped playing Srixon. As a sweeper, I'm a little surprised at how well the V-Sole works for me but these feel like butter.

Have been playing my set of ZX7's since Jan and see no reason to switch. Performance has been great so far, enough forgiveness for me and my swing.

I put 4 of my ZX7 back together while I was waiting for work to not get done earlier. So, one more session and I'll be back in business with mine and getting them back on course. I've changed things a little since I played them last so I'm getting super curious how they'll be for me.

Last edited:
Now the question I have is could 1/4 inch and 1 degree flat have such an effect on my results? I can't believe how good I hit the Cobra in store and have not seen that often on course last year.

Just shooting from the hip and .02...

With the cobras adjusted the way you had them, they match up really close to stock of the ZX's with loft being the strongest of the three by 1*-2* at 29.5 in the 7I slot. The offset difference is .1 - .2 with cobra right in the middle.

You've got a pretty close race between them really as far as the head spec. The SW (D2) is close with the Cobra maybe leaning a tiny touch lighter with the 1/4" short...maybe D1.

The shaft is the variable and I imagine and with working through some things could be the major one. Some people get along better with the feel of one vs. another oem.

Sounds like you've got a great setup now and get along with the KBS shaft better with your swing right now compared to when you got them? The M105 vs 120 is a something to consider as well.

I keep walking passed my bag with the ZX7's in them and can't get schedule and weather to match up for even a range session. Next good day house/yard work will take a back seat to the range.

My son has been coming over as he is starting to paint again. He saw them and wanted to know if we could go to the range and maybe play a round. Didn't want to distract him from getting back into the painting as he enjoys it and is a stress reliever for him.

Man...did that ever excite me and another reason to get the ZX7's out and about for review!!!

He paints with spray paint and completely blows me away with how he does it. Will have to get a pic of the setup I've put together for him the next time he comes over. He has probably got 10-15 completed trying to get back at it.

Here is a pic of one of them.

20210501_171952.jpg

Just shooting from the hip and .02...

With the cobras adjusted the way you had them, they match up really close to stock of the ZX's with loft being the strongest of the three by 1*-2* at 29.5 in the 7I slot. The offset difference is .1 - .2 with cobra right in the middle.

You've got a pretty close race between them really as far as the head spec. The SW (D2) is close with the Cobra maybe leaning a tiny touch lighter with the 1/4" short...maybe D1.

The shaft is the variable and I imagine and with working through some things could be the major one. Some people get along better with the feel of one vs. another oem.

Sounds like you've got a great setup now and get along with the KBS shaft better with your swing right now compared to when you got them? The M105 vs 120 is a something to consider as well.

The clubs I demoed were all off the fitting cart cobra to srixon length and swing weight should be same.
The concern with the Srixons is the spin or lack thereof.
With a 7 iron there was more than 1500rpm increase in spin with Cobra vs the Zx5 and 600 or so for the Zx7.
Cobras were spinning in the low 6000 range which seems right for a 7 iron

The clubs I demoed were all off the fitting cart cobra to srixon length and swing weight should be same.
The concern with the Srixons is the spin or lack thereof.
With a 7 iron there was more than 1500rpm increase in spin with Cobra vs the Zx5 and 600 or so for the Zx7.
Cobras were spinning in the low 6000 range which seems right for a 7 iron

Hitting off mats or grass? Depending on your swing, mats can give some questionable data and feedback.

Yesterday was my first time hitting the ZX7s since getting fitted for the ZX5s and man am I glad I didn’t pull the trigger on the ZX5s. Although the data was off by quite a bit, the numbers I was getting with the ZX7 was very impressive. Currently trying to sell a watch in order to find these but I think I’d go with the Modus125 because they seem like a healthy medium between the 120 and s300

Well in real life the cobra's aren't cutting it. Decided am going to trade for the Arizona.
Can't decide between zx5 or 7.
On simulator the zx7 was more consistent in the 7 iron. But the zx5 was about 7 yards longer. Soin much higher on zx7.

I think I prefer the modus 120 to the 105.

Unfortunately right now custom orders will be backordered 2 months so might just go with the stock offering.

I don't usually play the 4 iron.
So question is do I go zx7 or 5. Are the 5 that much more forgiving.
I care about launch and soon as my new golf club has smaller firm greens.

Well in real life the cobra's aren't cutting it. Decided am going to trade for the Arizona.
Can't decide between zx5 or 7.
On simulator the zx7 was more consistent in the 7 iron. But the zx5 was about 7 yards longer. Soin much higher on zx7.

I think I prefer the modus 120 to the 105.

Unfortunately right now custom orders will be backordered 2 months so might just go with the stock offering.

I don't usually play the 4 iron.
So question is do I go zx7 or 5. Are the 5 that much more forgiving.
I care about launch and soon as my new golf club has smaller firm greens.

They are quite a bit more forgiving. They also launch higher initially. The 7s are your forged players cavity. Both are quite good.

That is kind of one of my favorite parts about Srixons. They use 1020 steel, which is lower carbon and dents easier softer than 1025 for example which Mizuno uses. The chatter makes for nice character.

The chatter makes for nice character.

Had a good ball striking night with the irons last night for my 9 hole round. 6/9 GIR One shot that stands out was a 7i to a pin at 145y, ball hit and only rolled out 4 feet from the ball mark. I haven't had any issues at all holding greens with these irons and that is having played softer greens and several that have been quite firm.
Miss hits out on the toe are noticeable but nothing that will be super penal. You will notice a distance loss but unless it is beyond the grooves it will be minimal.

20210512_172854.jpg

This little beauty doesn't have a shaft to call home.. :(

Interesting round today. 14 greens from the white tees with a very shaky back. I was clubbing up on average two clubs for a given distance. 14 greens might be a career high... I average 8. ZX7's kept me in the game.

Poor little fella - what are you going to order for it?
I've decided a certain other AW, named xepA orP, will have to make a sacrifice for the greater good. :p

Nice round man!

My father just ordered his ZX5s in the same shafts as me...not a direct comparison but would be interesting to see how they are on the course vs my P770s.

View attachment 9007590

This little beauty doesn't have a shaft to call home.. :(
I have one of these on order - well, the whole club :p. Carl's said the head is backordered until mid-June but we'll see when it shows up. For now using either a CBX2 50 or 52 for gap wedge. Just got the CBX2 56 today and took it to chip. Really impressed with it. I like the 50 and 52 less, looking forward to the feel of the ZX7 AW as I like the ZX7 PW for chipping, just doesn't have enough loft for some situations.

I have one of these on order - well, the whole club :p. Carl's said the head is backordered until mid-June but we'll see when it shows up. For now using either a CBX2 50 or 52 for gap wedge. Just got the CBX2 56 today and took it to chip. Really impressed with it. I like the 50 and 52 less, looking forward to the feel of the ZX7 AW as I like the ZX7 PW for chipping, just doesn't have enough loft for some situations.
It took me a while to get mine originally. Although, compared to how things are now, probably not that long actually. It was worth it though. I really like it. It will feel a little more solid than the 7 and a lot different than a cbx.

Back