xThor

AnimeGods 神 | TravisMathew | Burg
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else play chess?
I’ve loved watching chess for years, but only recently started trying to take up playing seriously. With the Queen’s Gambit show having recently brought a lot more visibility to the game, YouTube and Twitch seem to have exploded with chess content, and I find myself watching quite a bit of it.

I’m on chess.com (username njavis) and have started on some lessons and games if anyone wants to play sometime!

My chess game is much like my golf game: enthusiastic, yet feeble.

I used to play all the time but was never very good. I need to start playng again

I played a decent amount in my youth but have played maybe 5-10 games in the last 15 years. Like you, Queen's Gambit has sorta had me becoming reinterested in it.

I'm good enough to beat most occasional/casual players, but as soon as I play someone who knows anything at all about actual openings and middle game strategy, I get obliterated.

I played a decent amount in my youth but have played maybe 5-10 games in the last 15 years. Like you, Queen's Gambit has sorta had me becoming reinterested in it.

I'm good enough to beat most occasional/casual players, but as soon as I play someone who knows anything at all about actual openings and middle game strategy, I get obliterated.
"Attack everything with my knights" the sum total of my middle game strategy.

I think the last time I played chess was a few too many Red Stripes deep on the beach in Jamaica with a giant chess set 6 years ago. I used to play every Christmas with my Dad, but it was mostly just blindly moving pieces around.

Way back when I played a lot and was pretty serious and played some competitions. I was in a pretty aggressive club and they were good at getting top players to come and play simultaneous plays. So I got to play Walter Brown who was US Champion and also a Russian whose name escapes me...They set up about 40 boards and as the player stepped in front of you, you would make your move and almost instantly he would make his. Each time no one one a game, a couple games were offered as draw. My 2 games were conceded at moves 30-40.....That was mid 70's in college.

I'm on lichess.org, user Schachnutte - I used to be on chess.com but the amount of trolls there was enough at some point. Besides, all offerings on lichess are ompletely free. Played chess for over 40 years.

I was my school’s chess club president.
Unfortunately the past 10 years, I have only played like 5-10 times.
Love playing though

Years ago I took the game pretty seriously, even getting a thick book that had all the moves of the various openings and defenses played by the masters. I was never that good as I just couldn't seem to look enough moves ahead which you have to be able to do to be successful.

I know the moves of all the pieces, and that you need to anticipate a few moves a head, but that's about it. Chess, like my golf game,
is like the older I get, the better I was.

I think playing golf holes is a lot like chess, with each shot (move) setting up the next shot (move).

I play chess with my Granddaughters quite often, at their request.

Sometimes I play against a computer, set on it's easiest setting. If I pay close attention to what the computer is doing, I play quite well against it.

It was a thread on here that got me playing recently against the computer at chess.com. I can win some games against intermediate players, but boy, am I rusty. I was part of a group that played a lot in HS - my best friend and I had a travel chess set and we would play on the school bus and sometimes on band bus trips. I made a chess set out of nuts and bolts from plans - the knight's head was a spark plug connector, for example. I still have it somewhere. For a while, Bobby Fischer had a monthly column in Boys' Life and I'd go over that every month. I never did chess by mail, but I think that would have fit my adult lifestyle better than online or in person. Just not enough time.

My son and I have played for a few years, even got him a nice portable board to take with us when we go out to eat

I play off and on and mainly against the computer. Play around intermediate so not very good, but do enjoy the challenge and breaks me away from normalcy for a time.

Like the rest of the world Queen's Gambit renewed my interest in chess. I'm still not very good. I play against the computer on chess.com. I beat Sven a few times (the 2nd intermediate level computer player available with a free account).

Day 3 of the FTX Crypto Cup getting ready to start. Has been a great tournament so far!

I have a friend who plays at about the same level as me and whenever we hang out we break out the chess timer and play speed chess. The only rule is that in one hand you hold your whiskey glass and the other you move the pieces and hit the timer. It is a blast. I stopped trying to get really good at chess when it became work. I'm impressed with the mental strength required to do the deep calculations and have a brother who is really good and competes.

I have a friend who plays at about the same level as me and whenever we hang out we break out the chess timer and play speed chess. The only rule is that in one hand you hold your whiskey glass and the other you move the pieces and hit the timer. It is a blast. I stopped trying to get really good at chess when it became work. I'm impressed with the mental strength required to do the deep calculations and have a brother who is really good and competes.

You could try this set:

Chess is such a great game and years ago me and some friends would play a lot. Its been years. Speed Chess is very cool. A great movie which has some speed chess scenes in NYC is "Searching for Bobby Fisher".

You could try this set:

I played that in college.. it's a dangerous game and we played that you took the shot when you took the piece so it attempted to level the playing field by causing the better player to drink more.. lol

Back