WITB: Phil Mickelson Wins the 2021 PGA Championship

JohnnyCallaway

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
At nearly 51 years of age, Phil Mickelson won the PGA Championship on a tough final round Sunday. The wind up all afternoon brought some trouble throughout, but when the dust settled, “Lefty” was victorious.

As the putts go down, the thumb comes up?Let’s have some fun and activate the thumbs this weekend pic.twitter.com/sOxwMEkBvr— Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) May 21, 2021

Here are the tools he used to get the job done. A look at the Phil Mickelson WITB.

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed (6@5.25 , Green Dot Cog, 3GF, 2GB)Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black 6TX (47.5 inches, D4)

Irons: 

[url=https://www.thehackersparadise.com/witb-phil-mickelson-wins-the-2021-pga-championship/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that he uses utilities to the 5 iron.
Not sure if I have seen another pro with that set up.
Thanks for the info!

Are his utility shafts matching length with his iron progression or are they longer like standard utilities?

Pretty nice setup.

Why is Phil not using the TCB or Pro 2 dots like it seems most other pros are using? Why the small groves? What is the difference between the Proto UT and the one we can buy?

That UT shot was ridiculous what a shot!!! right over the tree like a boss.

Phil Cracked the face...... where was the tour truck on that one? It's a Major and he is leading, just saying.

Phil Cracked the face...... where was the tour truck on that one? It's a Major and he is leading, just saying.
Tour vans are not present normally after start.

Phil - short... again.

And Brooks gives one to Phil

Tour vans are not present normally after start.
Poor choice at a Major. Marketing taking a hit on that one after the TV personalities are taking about how important that club was to him. Then he hits a bad shot ( by his standards, I would have been excited to hit that)

Poor choice at a Major. Marketing taking a hit on that one after the TV personalities are taking about how important that club was to him. Then he hits a bad shot ( by his standards, I would have been excited to hit that)
It’s not a choice. There are literally no tour vans present once the games begin.

It’s not a choice. There are literally no tour vans present once the games begin.
Why is that? I have not been to a tour event since they rarely ever come anywhere close to where I live. I assumed that they would stay till Monday like they do at all the Motocross and biking related events I have ever done or been to.

I caught them say on Sirius while I was driving that Phil has 3 head covers in his bag today and appears to have added a fairway wood that wasn't there the other 3 days this week. Interesting tweak when you are in the lead.

I caught them say on Sirius while I was driving that Phil has 3 head covers in his bag today and appears to have added a fairway wood that wasn't there the other 3 days this week. Interesting tweak when you are in the lead.
He cracked the face of his driving iron right before the round.

He cracked the face of his driving iron right before the round.
Thanks, They didn't seem to know that or mention it when they were following him on the course at the start.

Those PM Grind wedges! 😍

I think I am going to add a high lofted PM Grind back in the bag.
Who wants to give 48" a try now?

I think I am going to add a high lofted PM Grind back in the bag.
Who wants to give 48" a try now?

I didn't realize they made a 48 degree version.

I was referring to driver length with that one.

Whoops! I see that now.

Yeah, def planning to try something a bit longer for giggles. Not sure I have the skills for a 48" though!
I wonder if guys with longer swings have better success going longer than those of us with shorter swings. My guess is the short swingers get their tempo thrown off too much to handle a longer driver..... dunno....

Back