WITB: Phil Mickelson Wins the 2021 PGA Championship

I think I am going to add a high lofted PM Grind back in the bag.
Who wants to give 48" a try now?

I'm in for putting my 60* PM back in for a few rounds. It's been a minute. Also taking a long look at 2w / second driver themes.

I'm more inclined to give the mini driver a go again. Esp because I have that open slot still.

Phil was soooo good in the post-win interviews. Talking about the cracked utility iron, he said something like, "when you swing as fast as I do, it's bound to happen..." then smiled and said, "I'm kidding of course..."

When did he take the white-hot insert 8802 out of the bag? How long has he had that all-steel 8802 in the bag?

PM Grind is so so good.

Interesting that he uses utilities to the 5 iron.
Not sure if I have seen another pro with that set up.
Thanks for the info!

Are his utility shafts matching length with his iron progression or are they longer like standard utilities?
His 4 iron is .25 longer to dial in swingweight but everything else is pretty standard

Why is Phil not using the TCB or Pro 2 dots like it seems most other pros are using? Why the small groves? What is the difference between the Proto UT and the one we can buy?
In regards to the why he isn't using TCB or Pro 2 dot. The easiest answer is he may and he may not. I know he has had a set of TCB built up along with Apex Pro 21. With Phil its just all based on what he's trying to find at the moment and as of recently he feels having his hands on the wheel a bit more for control is what he wants. Small grooves are basically NIKE grooves to give an easy reference, they add a few more RPMs of spin and can be effective out of the rough. The Proto UT i believe will be available in limited quantities this summer but I'm not 100%. The difference is they have less offset, bounce and blade length the XForged. I will say the retail head is far easier to turn over.

Whoops! I see that now.

Yeah, def planning to try something a bit longer for giggles. Not sure I have the skills for a 48" though!
I wonder if guys with longer swings have better success going longer than those of us with shorter swings. My guess is the short swingers get their tempo thrown off too much to handle a longer driver..... dunno....
Its not an exact science more a trial and error thing. With shafts becoming so stable these days going longer for some players can have a positive effect on dispersion and not necessarily just distance. Jim Furyk found that to be the case.

Why is that? I have not been to a tour event since they rarely ever come anywhere close to where I live. I assumed that they would stay till Monday like they do at all the Motocross and biking related events I have ever done or been to.
We have to be off site by Wednesday afternoon to get to the next site.

I hope they have a Phil replica at ECPC in 7 months! 😀 I would love to try that set up.... in right hand of course.

Already have. Have a 2.5* one with a XXX flex shaft and a 3.5* one with a XX flex. Surprisinginly I can still get them off the ground. The 3.5* degree one had some “swing weight” adjusting done one night when I was trying to swing it on the driveway when it was pitch black out. Makes lots of pretty sparks when you screw one up.

They wreck my normal driver swing though so could never play one seriously. Takes at least 5-10 swings with a normal driver to not hit one left of the Kremlin.

Of course I can’t play anything seriously right now so what would it hurt? 🤣

Phil being that accurate though? Impressive.

Phil's performance was such captivating to watch taking on big bad Brooks. When he holed that bunker shot I lost my mind here. I am sure my neighbors complained about me. But you know what, I do not care.

I’m loving the top end of Phil’s bag. It makes me want to try a double driver setup again. Bomber driver then a super accurate driver slotted just below.

When did he take the white-hot insert 8802 out of the bag? How long has he had that all-steel 8802 in the bag?
I bet this had quite the impact, though Phil wouldn't admit it. Callaway probably really wanted him to use an insert and Phil finally said enough is enough and went back to no insert. Also would love to know the tip/butt deflection specs on the Ventus Black 6TX. Does Fujikura post on this site?

I bet this had quite the impact, though Phil wouldn't admit it. Callaway probably really wanted him to use an insert and Phil finally said enough is enough and went back to no insert. Also would love to know the tip/butt deflection specs on the Ventus Black 6TX. Does Fujikura post on this site?

Why would Callaway want him to use an insert? They make and sell both milled and insert putters.
Phil has gone back and forth to different shapes, inserts, etc for much of his career.

Why would Callaway want him to use an insert? They make and sell both milled and insert putters.
Phil has gone back and forth to different shapes, inserts, etc for much of his career.
Dude, even his milled putter has "WHXG" (White Hot XG) on it. Leads one to beleive Callaway wants the consumers to think Phil is playing an insert.

Dude, even his milled putter has "WHXG" (White Hot XG) on it. Leads one to beleive Callaway wants the consumers to think Phil is playing an insert.
I genuinely don’t believe that. First I’m hearing it, but I can ask if you would like.

There would be no reason to, right? They make both. They sell both. They don’t even make a model like his. It’s not as if inserts are not the most used on tour already. Not sure I see the benefit, but maybe it’s just me.

I genuinely don’t believe that. First I’m hearing it, but I can ask if you would like.

There would be no reason to, right? They make both. They sell both. They don’t even make a model like his. It’s not as if inserts are not the most used on tour already. Not sure I see the benefit, but maybe it’s just me.
Now now, there is plenty pf Phil to go around. Insert or no insert, watching him win would rival Tiger that the masters, can we at least agree on that?

Now now, there is plenty pf Phil to go around. Insert or no insert, watching him win would rival Tiger that the masters, can we at least agree on that?
Phils win was way more impressive to me.

Has anyone seen a WITB for Phil now that he is a free agent for equipment?

Looks like he is playing graphite shafts.

Why is that? I have not been to a tour event since they rarely ever come anywhere close to where I live. I assumed that they would stay till Monday like they do at all the Motocross and biking related events I have ever done or been to.

You’d soil your pants if you saw what ends up in the trash when they leave too.

Holy smokes……

Back