The Quick Six: Callaway Golf Balls

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, Callaway introduced the Chrome Soft X LS as an extension to the popular Chrome Soft line of golf balls. Early performance feedback is extremely positive, but with any addition, questions arise about which golf ball is better for which golfer. We wanted to go right to the source and sat down with Jason Finley, Director of Brand and Product Management at Callaway Golf, for the answers.

Untitled-8-1024x692.jpg

THP: Callaway has been on quite a ride in golf ball sales for the last few years. How are things going currently?

Jason Finley: Things are generally going well.  The last 15-16 months have been interesting for sure and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a nice segment @JasonFinleyCG. I am fascinated by how differently balls work for some golfers. I have the speed to play the CSX but the Chrome Soft just works better for me. I think the forgiveness aspect of golf balls is underrated by a lot of golfers. If you do not want to work the ball then why not use a ball that promotes a straight flight? I have a negative attack angle with driver so the higher launching lower spinning CS is nearly as long as the CSX off the tee and I like the predictable results it provides with irons and wedges. The soft feel is nice too.

Always good to see Finley drop some knowledge bombs. With all the challenges in the industry awesome they can keep moving forward. I'm surely it's been detrimental to his personal golf game tho. ;)

CSXLS is on the list of balls to try once I burn through my winter stash. 👍

Always great to hear from the man himself!

Darth Finley strikes again! Always a great conversation and dropping the knowledge on everyone....

Has to be huge having Rahm put Chrome Soft in the bag and then Lefty winning the PGA with Triple Track. Big year for sure! Having just dived into the Chrome Soft world, I’m super impressed with the ball! I’m moving onto CSX on-course testing next. Not sure I’ll be testing the LS, but you never know. Now what’s this I hear about incredible new technology in the 2022 lineup?

As much as I didn't love the TT putters the alignment on the balls is really good. No surprise that its taken over the top spot in my opinion. I'm sure it doesn't hurt seeing it on TV either

Always great to read what Finely has to say. Direct to the point and very informative. Definitely need to try the LS ball.

Enjoying these quick 6 articles. I still have some chrome speed balls - that were supposedly never released - I never learned what they were supposed to do/be - but I wonder how they compare to the average chrome soft.

Awesome segment!! The Chrome Soft X LS has continued to impress me. I cannot imagine how they are going to improve on this lineup!!

I always enjoy hearing from @JasonFinleyCG , great Quick Six, Thanks. :drinks:

The Triple Track has helped more for my game than any ball I have played. It is so easy to line up on the greens and tees. It helps takeaway an occasional oul ball on putts and tee shots.

I can't wait to see what the new ball will do.

Great write up. Love the Rule 35 pic, brought back many great memories.

The direction and releases from Callaway really have been remarkable. Loved seeing the triple track win at the PGA with Phil.

This was a great piece!

selfishly with the Granddaddy in view I can’t help but be excited about the comments on the 2022 lineup coming forward.

the rule 35 ball story was interesting, I’d love to know more about that in terms of what ball he is referencing that may have stole the thunder of callaway’s version.

also I haven’t had the opportunity to try out the Chromesoft X LS. They haven’t had it any my local dick’s or any of the courses I’ve played at. I use truvis almost exclusively now, so I have been playing the CS and CSX versions (just saying, budget golf has a great deal on THP made CSX Truvis which are very hard to find ;))

I think the CSX fits my game better than the chromesoft currently, so I’m interested to try the LS. Im a very high spin player off the driver and would love to see if I can change my “cut” into a fade!

Good stuff from Finley. The LS release has impressed me so much. Feels like they identified the combination of things that specific subset of players truly needed, and then just nailed it with that ball. I know quite a few users already and when stubbornness finally gives way to results I think I'll see even more.

This was a great piece!

selfishly with the Granddaddy in view I can’t help but be excited about the comments on the 2022 lineup coming forward.

the rule 35 ball story was interesting, I’d love to know more about that in terms of what ball he is referencing that may have stole the thunder of callaway’s version.

also I haven’t had the opportunity to try out the Chromesoft X LS. They haven’t had it any my local dick’s or any of the courses I’ve played at. I use truvis almost exclusively now, so I have been playing the CS and CSX versions (just saying, budget golf has a great deal on THP made CSX Truvis which are very hard to find ;))

I think the CSX fits my game better than the chromesoft currently, so I’m interested to try the LS. Im a very high spin player off the driver and would love to see if I can change my “cut” into a fade!

The Titleist Pro V1 came out later in 2000, after the Rule 35 was released.

Fun read. I like these quick six short segments. Just enough to digest quickly.. The Chrome soft line is currently the best it has ever been. I really like the X ball. The LS is awesome for me everywhere but off the driver it spins too little. I love it for the rest of my shots.

The Titleist Pro V1 came out later in 2000, after the Rule 35 was released.

Did the current staffer he referenced forcing their hand just win the PGA championship?!?

or is he talking someone within the company that used to work for Titelist saying hey if we don't do something Callaway is going to win the ball market?

The Triple Track has helped more for my game than any ball I have played. It is so easy to line up on the greens and tees. It helps takeaway an occasional oul ball on putts and tee shots.

I can't wait to see what the new ball will do.
TT is a must have for me now. Doesn’t surprise me one bit that that feature has turned in to one of their best sellers!

blows my mind that triple track has taken on such a role.

Great read.
I loved it immediately on the putting green but I think it is just as useful on the tee box.

I have loved Triple Track since the release and the CSX LS is a great ball. I was torn between CS and CSX liking one off the tee and one from the irons and this new one really hits a sweet spot for me.

I have loved Triple Track since the release and the CSX LS is a great ball. I was torn between CS and CSX liking one off the tee and one from the irons and this new one really hits a sweet spot for me.

I have been going back and forth between Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X LS.

Ahhh all this X LS talk. And here I thought I’d get away with only testing Chrome Soft and CSX!

Back