Cobra RADSPEED Fairway Woods and Hybrids

So today was the day to decide what would be the new 3w in my bag. Had done some self tests on a indoor monitor a few weeks ago at which Cobra Big Tour and Mizuno St-Z were the strongest contenders. Today I had scheduled time with a Cobra rep to do some in depth testing outdoors.

Main criterias for my new 3 wood,
  • Reduce two way misses which I've with my current 3w
  • Strong ball flight which is able to "pierce through" on windy days
  • Stable spin numbers to minimize surprises on the course.
  • Secure option from tee
During my self test it was clear that the Motore F1 wasn't the best for me (F3 in Mizuno was working way better). Last years Hzrdus Smoke Yellow in the Big Tour felt way better. Anyway started off with the Motore F1 to get some base line numbers, took a few swings in order to adapt to shaft and the perceived weighting but saw a good base to work of. Fitter got me the Hzrdus Rdx Blue and boom the consistency was there immediately, was able to swing more freely and with less effort generating higher club speeds (104 F1 vs 106 Rdx Blue)

Only concern here was that we were seeing perhaps abit too low spin, 2700-2800ish, still okey since my AoA was around +2-3. Fitter changed loft to 15,5 and flight was a bit higher but still boring and with 'better' spin around 3100ish. Best of all it wasn't going left on me, usually closing the head puts me off since I tend battle a hook. But even with the increase in loft the head didn't look closed. Tested the regular Radspeed as well but with it's more drawy setup I was sending the ball left, consistent results but to the left.

To summarize, the Mizuno was clearly the better option with off shelf specs but was spinning way too much. Indoor the distance was very close but outdoors today with a quite strong right to left, headwind the Mizuno was suffering, stalling in the wind, being 20 yards shorter than Cobra. Great to catch greens but not aligned with my 3w criterias.

With some great help and knowledge from the Cobra rep the Big Tour was fine tuned to perfection. Final order was Big Tour @ 15,5 with Hzrdus Smoke RDX Blue 70g 6.5, all at very good price :p

The RadSpeed 3 wood is not getting nearly enough pub. It is really good. It launches high, with very good ball speed for me. Hit it off the tee once this evening and it is as long as any 3 wood that I have ever hit on this particular hole.

BC46F655-358F-49E9-AA6C-5917DBED9481.jpeg

I can say the RadSpeed 7W is also a great performer. Deals with a thin or slightly fat strike really well (rails ftw), And well-struck shots have a great flight - and so far straight. No complaints.

Oh the pain! Went to pick up my new 3w after 3 weeks of waiting - immediately sees it's the wrong shaft, 60g instead of 70g...
No shadow to fall over Cobra though since it was ordered by as 60g from the retailer

The RadSpeed 3 wood is not getting nearly enough pub. It is really good. It launches high, with very good ball speed for me. Hit it off the tee once this evening and it is as long as any 3 wood that I have ever hit on this particular hole.

View attachment 9005951
Really excited to get my FW's into play. The 7W particularly should be a better club for me than a hybrid on long par 3's.

Really excited to get my FW's into play. The 7W particularly should be a better club for me than a hybrid on long par 3's.
Couldn't agree more. I think the 7w is going to be a lot of fun to use, may take a bit of getting used to but after hearing everyone talking about them last year I couldn't resist.

View attachment 9005951

I don't carry a 3w now and am really excited to have the RadSpeed 3w in my bag!

I don't carry a 3w now and am really excited to have the RadSpeed 3w in my bag!
Samsies, I have never carried a 3w, always driver 5w, when I tried the 3w though I found it real easy to hit. Hopefully carries over to the course.

I'm intrigued about the 3 wood vs. the 5 wood in terms of on course performance as my numbers were close during testing. Close to the point where I almost dropped the 3 wood in favor of another hybrid or utility iron.

First range session with the 3w and 2h from the Morgan Cup bag. Once I got my swing dialed in a bit the hybrid was exactly what I wanted. Just took a little time to find center of the face. Big high draws incoming. The 3w was so easy to hit. I am looking forward to some on course testing this summer. I think these 2 clubs are going to give me a lot more options off the tee.

3w is money! I played the club off the tee a few times and was loving the flight. It just brings another weapon to the bag. The hybrid is gonna need some work. I need to find my groove with it as I am topping it. Move it back in stance a bit or adjust the swing a bit. I won't get to concerned about it as my swing is aittle tentative at the moment.

This section of my bag is the only question other than maybe RDX blue vs Motore F1 on the driver.

I don’t carry a fairway wood. My 3 wood replacement is a Mizuno 2H turned down to 15 degrees and it’s my go to club for a huge amount of shots.

I’ve thought about a 3 wood then Tour 5 wood setup but I’m not sure I would ever need both clubs. Is The 3 wood forgiveness much different than the 5 Tour?

Does 3 wood, 19 conventional hybrid (replacing Apex19) then a 7 wood or 21 degree OL hybrid make sense? Having trouble getting my hands on the demos to try. I play hybrids very well and the 7 wood would basically be an experimental club.

Open for Suggestions!

Right now I have F9 3W @15.5 with an Oban Devo 7S, F9 3H @ 19 with an Oban Devo 8S, and RadSpeed 7W @ 22.5 with Motore X F3 R. I love both the F9 and the RadSpeed - rails ftw. I'm pondering switching to a RadSpeed 3W with the F3 shaft as the head is a bit deeper than the F9 and the F3 shaft is a bit more active. But I find the 3W-3H-7W setup (then into 5i) gives a lot of options. The 3H can be hit out of most any lie, the 7W gives a higher flight, and the 3W turned up to 15.5 gives me a bit more height.

Right now I have F9 3W @15.5 with an Oban Devo 7S, F9 3H @ 19 with an Oban Devo 8S, and RadSpeed 7W @ 22.5 with Motore X F3 R. I love both the F9 and the RadSpeed - rails ftw. I'm pondering switching to a RadSpeed 3W with the F3 shaft as the head is a bit deeper than the F9 and the F3 shaft is a bit more active. But I find the 3W-3H-7W setup (then into 5i) gives a lot of options. The 3H can be hit out of most any lie, the 7W gives a higher flight, and the 3W turned up to 15.5 gives me a bit more height.

i went 5 wood tour, 21 degree hybrid and 7W. I opted for the 4 iron in the king Tour as well

Hmmm, got some RADSPEED love from the FedEx guy today. The peacoat is beautiful and these feel and look great in hand. I will hit them some tomorrow, but definitely wanted to post some open box pics. Can't wait to report on this 7 wood.

20210530_215253.jpg20210530_213815.jpg20210530_213825.jpg20210530_215510.jpg

Only took one swing with each of the 3w and 5w tonight. Neither were great as I was into holes 29 and 30 on the day and didn’t give them the respect they deserved with my poor efforts.

But the 4hybrid with the MMT shaft is silly long with such a great penetrating but high ball flight. This one is going to be fun

i went 5 wood tour, 21 degree hybrid and 7W. I opted for the 4 iron in the king Tour as well

i have a zx4 4i that I can swap in/out for the 7w depending on conditions (we get a lot of wind) or mood (I have a lot of suck).

Already seeing things I love from these FW's. High launching and long flying. The 7 wood in particular is looking like exactly what I wanted for par 3's and long approach. Long high carry over the piercing roll out of a hybrid. They sound fantastic too.

#TeamHeadcovers

Already seeing things I love from these FW's. High launching and long flying. The 7 wood in particular is looking like exactly what I wanted for par 3's and long approach. Long high carry over the piercing roll out of a hybrid. They sound fantastic too.

#TeamHeadcovers
I love every single thing about this post!

I love every single thing about this post!
Went out for about 5 holes this morning and hit this from 178 in the fairway with the 7 wood. That's the pitch mark 8 feet in front of the ball. High, strait, and stop. Hit the 5 wood on a 190 par 3. Didn't hit the green, but high, strait, and pin high to the right a bit. I am definitely liking the ball flight with these woods.

20210601_082350.jpg

Last edited:
If only it was yesterday's pin ;)
Actually the pin was just right of my camera. I was only about that far away anyway. I left the birdie putt 1" short..🤬

Went out for about 5 holes this morning and hit this from 178 in the fairway with the 7 wood. That's the pitch mark 8 feet in front of the ball. High, strait, and stop. Hit the 5 wood on a 190 par 3. Didn't hit the great, but high, strait, and pin high to the right a bit. I am definitely liking the ball flight with these woods.

View attachment 9010484
Absolutely delicious!

A short range session with the clubs tonight. Still loving the ball flight and consistency with the hybrid. Struggling a touch with the fairway woods still but that’s still on my work-in-process swing.

Has anyone played with switching weights in the fairway woods? I have the urge to play around with them but don't know much about the impacts of going lighter or heavier. Can anyone provide insight?

Back