First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I don’t think hollow body is the cause. My XForged UT from 2018 is hollow body and barely looks used. My Apex MB from the same year first range ball on the toe left a pretty good scar.
I had a range ball caught off the toe of my AW while warming up for a tournament on my Pro 21s and it was gut wrenching when I saw the mark. Every time I grab the club now, it stares me in the face. I have come to terms now though, that as pretty as these things are, they are going to get beat up and nothing I can do about it.

These sexy ladies came home last night from having the lofts and lies adjusted!
Irons.jpg

I feel like the satin finish that's on a lot of them just seems to show more/more dramatically at the start. And out on the toe it can happen to just about any iron. Unless you're playing KING Tour. I'm convinced those will survive just about anything.
The finish on my Apex 19s look better than the finish on my Pro 21s and my 19s are over 2 years old and had just over 2 seasons on them. I've only had my Pros a few months. Oh well I guess. The faster they wear out, the sooner I buy new ones. Just sucks to pay that much for something and the finish start to wear that fast. I'm not trying to bash them in any way, but that is the weak point in this year's pros to me. The performance is just phenomenal though, and I guess that's the part that matters.

Someone had suggested some impact tape for the range, sounds like a great idea.

The wear I’ll live with. I think these will be in the bag a long time the performance of these irons are so good.

So my standard Apex set arrived today.

Having got myself down to a 5 handicap I was worried I had ordered the wrong set and should have gone with the pro version but having the standard in hand I am more than happy.

I have come from a set of Rogues so they are significantly smaller and with less offset. In fitting the standard were shorter in carry than the Rogues and then the pros were a lot shorter again so hopefully these are a nice middle ground and hopefully help me drop to my target of 4 handicap this year.

So my standard Apex set arrived today.

Having got myself down to a 5 handicap I was worried I had ordered the wrong set and should have gone with the pro version but having the standard in hand I am more than happy.

I have come from a set of Rogues so they are significantly smaller and with less offset. In fitting the standard were shorter in carry than the Rogues and then the pros were a lot shorter again so hopefully these are a nice middle ground and hopefully help me drop to my target of 4 handicap this year.
Love to hear your experience with them! I am a 6 happy also coming from Rogues. I was striking the Rogues well but struggled with distance control and precision into greens. I went with the Pros and love them. I am about 8 yards shorter carry in short irons (although I can flight them down) but only about 5 yards shorter with the mid and long irons and much more controlled.

The finish on my Apex 19s look better than the finish on my Pro 21s and my 19s are over 2 years old and had just over 2 seasons on them. I've only had my Pros a few months. Oh well I guess. The faster they wear out, the sooner I buy new ones. Just sucks to pay that much for something and the finish start to wear that fast. I'm not trying to bash them in any way, but that is the weak point in this year's pros to me. The performance is just phenomenal though, and I guess that's the part that matters.

I wonder if the Apex 21’s are like this too? I play the Apex 19’s and saw a guy on course who had the new ones and I just noticed they seemed a brighter satin than mine.

Love to hear your experience with them! I am a 6 happy also coming from Rogues. I was striking the Rogues well but struggled with distance control and precision into greens. I went with the Pros and love them. I am about 8 yards shorter carry in short irons (although I can flight them down) but only about 5 yards shorter with the mid and long irons and much more controlled.

I was hitting the rogue irons so well. The two problems I had was every now and again getting the ‘hot’ shot which flew miles further and my flight being very one dimensional.
I am hoping the Apex will be more controlled distance wise (they were in fitting) and allow me to alter the flight more.
I really wanted to get the full set of ‘pro’s’ but I was just way down on distance so felt the standard a nice medium. Coming from a game improvement iron to a players distance there is a noticeable difference in size, top line and offset whilst still protecting most of my carry distance.

I wonder if the Apex 21’s are like this too? I play the Apex 19’s and saw a guy on course who had the new ones and I just noticed they seemed a brighter satin than mine.
Not sure. That would be a question for those that have the standard apexes from this year.

20210603_205635.jpg

Not feeling the best. Need some inspiration for the morning, so going to switch it up a bit with a fun Apex combo. Fun in theory at least. Should have the whole range of feels!! :LOL:

I love these irons.

Last hole tonight 173 from the first cut a 7 iron nice high flight to get over the trees put me close enough for an eagle putt that I couldn’t miss it.

View attachment 9011237

Not feeling the best. Need some inspiration for the morning, so going to switch it up a bit with a fun Apex combo. Fun in theory at least. Should have the whole range of feels!! :LOL:
Can’t wait to see your score with this combo!

Can’t wait to see your score with this combo!
Yeah, we'll see. I'm not sure I've ever even taken the blades to this course. I feel like I have, but can't place it. It's fluffy. Can't really pinch the same. I don't even use a tee on the par 3's. Even the ones over 200. So it could be interesting.

Going to be getting some Apex 21 built for my wife @Golfgirlguru . I won the Project X contest a few weeks back and @DB TT very graciously offered his help. We matched her specs to the Accra 70i iron and wedge shafts (TT owns Accra) and they arrived this week. They will be going into her new Apex 21 standards and her existing JAWS wedges. She is super excited for them and an upgrade on her Fuji Atmos and M4s from a few years ago. I'll keep the thread posted on how the build goes. Right now the only question is figuring out if Callaway reamed out the heads on her Jaws to accommodate a .370 UST Recoil 460 esx shaft or if they tapered the shaft. Other than that we should be getting it built early next week. Stay tuned for updates. Thrilled she is almost fully a Callaway gal now (only her TM Spider putter remains!). She almost went for the Pros or a combo as she likes the thinner top line and sole (especially for her turf interaction) but couldn't get the distance on the Pro short irons. Nearly a perfect fit in the regulars.

The Apex heads came off Elevate 95 shafts, so we will move those out and most likely the A wedge (she is 4-P and has a Jaws gap wedge). Here are the shafts:
20210601_200013.jpg 20210601_195954.jpg

For anyone that has used both, how do these compare to the 19 Apex Combo? Kind of curious if I'm missing out on anything, or if my 19s will hold me over another couple seasons.

Last edited:
8 birdies with the Apex Quadruple Combo today. So much fun. So many good clubs. I kind of fell apart at the end, but the progression from the Pro to TCB to MB was really working for me for a while. I'm going to stick with it another round.

Solid day with the Pros. Played a shortish course with very tight fairways and hit a bunch of 5,6, and 7s off the tee. Was 10/13 on fairways. Had trouble pulling my short wedges though (normally I fade the ball a tad) and only managed 1...1 (!!) GIR. Thankfully the short game was on with my jaws.

I’m intrigue by @JohnnyCallaway playing the Apex irons 2 degrees weak. Curious of the offset specs and how the added bounce may/may not cone into play. I really like the idea though….🤔

I’m intrigue by @JohnnyCallaway playing the Apex irons 2 degrees weak. Curious of the offset specs and how the added bounce may/may not cone into play. I really like the idea though….🤔
Gives you the ball speeds from the tech across all the clubs and some good forgiveness. Didn't think of the bounce, but you're right. Bending it weak might affect the bounce and sole. I love the turf interaction on the Pros. My guess is the Wunder Apex would not work for my swing.

Quick question for those that may know: If I have a Callaway gift card, can it be used on their official site and on their pre-owned site?

Thank you!

Back