blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What would you think if you went to a $60 per round course, where the bunkers were dragged everyday by the grounds crew but there were no rakes for golfers to use after bunker shots?

Last edited:
No rakes? I would think they are out of their minds.

Wouldn’t phase me. But, I think bunkers should actually be real hazards soooooo....

I think you left out "not" in the OP because it says there were rakes. It would suck having to hit out of a fat footprint but, by definition, bunkers are hazards so why should they need to be pristine at all times?

To me it is kind of silly. But worse still to me is finding where some goofball tracked in a bunker walking past the rake, hit their shot, and tracked back out right past the rake and never bothered to pick up the rake and use it.

I think you left out "not" in the OP because it says there were rakes. It would suck having to hit out of a fat footprint but, by definition, bunkers are hazards so why should they need to be pristine at all times?
Good catch.

No bunker rakes.

It would sound like that course is still invoking COVID requirements.

I've played this year, more than in the last feW years combined, one course had rakes and holes installed correctly.

Give it a few more weeks.

Locally some of the courses took the rakes out and said to drop outside the bunker because of covid.

It would sound like that course is still invoking COVID requirements.

I've played this year, more than in the last feW years combined, one course had rakes and holes installed correctly.

Give it a few more weeks.
just a hypothetical
Locally some of the courses took the rakes out and said to drop outside the bunker because of covid.
no more bunker shots? Laaaaaaaaame

Hmmmm.....methinks ol' Hammy is gonna be invoking this for a few years. Every bunker shot will be pulled with the invocation of "Covid."

At my home course we haven't used rakes in over a year and I don't think they are ever going to put them out again. We play local rule that allows ball to be moved out of a foot print, or deer print.

My Tuesday and Sunday courses don't have rakes.
Course of action is to 'Foot" rake and place.

My Tuesday and Sunday courses don't have rakes.
Course of action is to 'Foot" rake and place.
Man, I think you should have to hit out of a footprint. It's a hazard. Don't go in there.

It sounds like home. I am starting to see the rakes more, now. I prefer the courses that have the rakes on the carts since there are times I am on the far end of a bunker with its own zip code from the rake. Plus, I am the only one using that rake (my friends seem to avoid the sand by some miracle) so there would be no issue with covid.

Not a problem. Bunkers are hazards, and should be avoided. The maintenance people dragging them once, or twice a day is enough.

One plus is that no rakes promotes faster play.

If rakes are there, I use them. If not, I use my foot to smooth out my left overs.

Truth be known, I'm just happy there's enough sand in the bunker that needs to be raked.

Since the pandemic, courses over here have not had rakes in them, so the usual option if you are in a footprint is to lift the ball, rake with your foot and place the ball within 6 inches of where it was

I have done it a couple times, but if the lie isn't that bad I will just play it as it lies

My course has rake and people don't use them. They get worked for tourneys and that's about it so just go with it.

Since the pandemic, courses over here have not had rakes in them, so the usual option if you are in a footprint is to lift the ball, rake with your foot and place the ball within 6 inches of where it was

I have done it a couple times, but if the lie isn't that bad I will just play it as it lies
But why lift and clean the foot print? Why should you get a good lie in a hazard?

But why lift and clean the foot print? Why should you get a good lie in a hazard?
I've cursed the footprint. Played out of it. Then raked the damn bunker.

Deer footprints just make you laugh though.

Why should people later in the day be given a worse lie than those who go out first after the grounds crew have done the bunkers?
The only way to make it fair for everyone is for the course to never touch the bunkers and let people deal with whatever condition they find them in, but then I guess you will get more people complaining about the state of them

Another alternative would be to allow players to lift the ball, use their foot to smooth out the sand, then drop the ball rather than place - with the new drop rule, the ball will likely plug slightly from knee height, so will still make it more difficult than a clean shot off the top of the sand

No rakes at our home course but there's not much sand in them anyway. We'll give the ol' foot wipe but that's more to check for the liner or metal stakes underneath. I'm all for hazards being hazards but when it comes to digging a wedge into the fabric liner or into the stack, that's an injury issue.

Back