Has the delay in shipping from manufacturers turned you off from purchasing equipment this year?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
By now we all know about the delays, 6-8 weeks sometimes more. I've seen first hand guys who said they'd rather just not even bother than wait the whole summer to get new clubs just in time for the season to be over. Those with shorter seasons like we have here in Michigan that makes a lot of sense actually. Have you been turned off by the delay to the point you won't order or do you still place the order and hope for the best?

I ended up going with my second choice in shaft because I didn't want to wait for the indefinite delay. I think folks would be open to certainty assuming the manufacturers could meet their defined deadlines. However, the fact that on the front page at any given moment there is a thread on delays, which have afflicted all manufacturers, and these posts show that there is no certainty with the delay, I think that's going to rightfully make people hold off.

When I ordered my clubs with my preferred shaft of choice, the delay went from a few weeks to a couple months. Ultimately, I pulled the trigger with my second choice shaft because I found a new set with my specs and that other shaft. I very well could've waited, but I'm glad I got them in hand and have been able to play several rounds with them. Only regret is that my set gap wedge shaft won't match my iron set. First world problems I suppose.

Not really. I bought most of a new bag last fall and got them relatively quickly. Have replaced wedges, putter and driver and the times were not outrageous.

It has actually caused me to stock up on golf balls since my season will hopefully continue on indefinitely and with not being sure on how long it will take to get product in figure might as well have some reserves (bought 4 dozen srixon xv with the current buy 2 get 1 free promo and they just replaced that model so should be current for a while).

I don't think it's stopped me as much as some others. Like you, I know a bunch of guys who have refused to order clubs just for them to get here as their season is winding down. The argument being you're basically ordering them for the next season and a ton of things can change by then. Body, family, work, desire... there are no guarantees it'll be worth it on what is typically a pretty sizable purchase.

• Admin
Not really. I bought most of a new bag last fall and got them relatively quickly. Have replaced wedges, putter and driver and the times were not outrageous.

It has actually caused me to stock up on golf balls since my season will hopefully continue on indefinitely and with not being sure on how long it will take to get product in figure might as well have some reserves (bought 4 dozen srixon xv with the current buy 2 get 1 free promo and they just replaced that model so should be current for a while).
I don't think last fall was as bad as it is right now. If someone orders gear right now they may or may not get it by end of August. Thats crazy.

Luckily I got my club orders relatively quick at the beginning of the year. If I would have gotten some of the delays that I’ve seen on the forum, I probably would have held off for sure

I don't think last fall was as bad as it is right now. If someone orders gear right now they may or may not get it by end of August. Thats crazy.

Sure, when I ordered my irons I was told that they had certain models that were 8-14 weeks out. I had bought a new model so there was some stock at least. I am also not super worried about time frames as I will be playing year round (unless something crazy happens, which has the last 2 years). For those in your area, or where the season is definitely limited, I wouldn't buy something now at full price when I can wait until spring and save my money.

Not at all. I purchased a set of TE irons a few weeks ago. Everything was handle in a timely manner I thought.

They went from Kansas, to Illinois, and to Nevada in around two weeks.

In contrast, my cc cleared in about 2 minutes.......lol

I was not too bothered by the delays... I just planned ahead and ordered early. 2021 bag was in place before May. With so many things in supply chain being screwed up, chance favors the patient and prepared.

I got fitted for a driver early March. Ordered a wedge mid February. Still have not gotten either in hand yet. Wouldn't do anything different but those are some long wait times. But I play year round so their is no deadline.

Last edited:
It hasn't stopped me from purchasing, but it has stopped me from trading anything in before I get the new ones in hand. That was a lesson learned.

Hasn’t stopped me as I tend to build my clubs to what I want them myself. So if there is a stock item I’ll get it and go from there.

I would'nt say it's changed anything. It is about patience. However something else might come along that I want more while I am waiting.

I really can't answer this. Being in the Morgan Cup has made me not purchase clubs this year. I am also not a big custom order from the company guy. I will take something off the rack or something used and then alter it myself at home to customize it.

All that said I have basically shut down making any major purchase this year at all unless it's an emergency. My economics background and my read of the information and news says this supply chain issue will mostly shake itself out by the middle of next year. I can wait till then for anything I have on my mind. There is a 0% chance I would buy a car right now. It would just be an overpriced petro-model that I would have to trade into an EV-demand driven market in 3-5 years. That seems sub optimal.

I really can't answer this. Being in the Morgan Cup has made me not purchase clubs this year. I am also not a big custom order from the company guy. I will take something off the rack or something used and then alter it myself at home to customize it.
A friend recently told me he walked into a store, asked what irons they had in stock with a specific shaft in them. Salesperson returns and says only these 921 Forged. Friend says I'll take them, never hit them didn't want to, put them straight into the bag haha

What was the wait time before our current supply chain woes? To me, I wouldn't expect a custom order for any product to take less than the 5-7 weeks I was quoted for my irons.

What was the wait time before our current supply chain woes? To me, I wouldn't expect a custom order for any product to take less than the 5-7 weeks I was quoted for my irons.
I am honestly not sure but with supply chain issues its definitely slower than it used to be thats for sure.

A friend recently told me he walked into a store, asked what irons they had in stock with a specific shaft in them. Salesperson returns and says only these 921 Forged. Friend says I'll take them, never hit them didn't want to, put them straight into the bag haha
The craziest thing I have seen is at the Sea Ray store in Louisville. I had to get a new battery for our boat. They have a completely empty show room the week of Memorial Day except for a pontoon someone has already bought and they had 3 $500,000+ cabin cruisers out on the back lot. A guy walks in to buy a boat and the sales guy tells him we don't have any. So the guys says can I give you five or six thousand to put me on the list for the next boats that come in? The sales guy says yeah, but with the waiting list we already have I am not sure you will get a boat this summer. o_O

Definitely. There have been a few things I had in my cart that I couldn’t even place an order because of back ordered components. At this point, I will maybe buy a putter if I find one on the rack that fits me, but the driver and fairway wood that I intended to buy will wait. I am not used to waiting for months to get anything. FWIW, it has affected other things I wanted to buy that were not golf-related as well.

This is all childs play in comparison to the delays I've experienced in the auto industry. I want a new driver but I need to fix my swing 1st.

I ordered a new set of irons and a 3 wood the middle of March. The company foolishly told me 2 weeks. Over a month later I was still waiting and starting to get annoyed. Everytime I called I got the same response: "it's the manufacturer holding it up not us". The irons finally came in may but the 3 wood was still no where to be found. Then I get an email saying sometime in June the 3 wood would come. 3 months for a 3 wood. I canceled the day and will not be ordering anything that has to made. Off the shelf for me.

This is all childs play in comparison to the delays I've experienced in the auto industry. I want a new driver but I need to fix my swing 1st.
Agreed - ordering car parts has been a nightmare!

Even my bbq that I ordered last September, I didn't get it until February.

My custom orders in the past have been close to six weeks, never longer. I am at six weeks today for my i210 order and was originally told they should be around 6 weeks. I am more concerned that the shaft might not be in stock as I read on another forum that the Dynamic Gold S300 had an 80 day wait for Taylormade orders as it is a popular shaft....I am hoping PING has some stock on them. When the fitter asked what grips I wanted I said whatever PING had in stock, and he said that was a smart choice as I didn't want to be delayed for months due to grips.

My MP20 MMC order last spring took around 6 weeks, and I had added a few different Mizuno clubs and each came in around the 6 weeks mark.

My custom orders in the past have been close to six weeks, never longer. I am at six weeks today for my i210 order and was originally told they should be around 6 weeks. I am more concerned that the shaft might not be in stock as I read on another forum that the Dynamic Gold S300 had an 80 day wait for Taylormade orders as it is a popular shaft....I am hoping PING has some stock on them. When the fitter asked what grips I wanted I said whatever PING had in stock, and he said that was a smart choice as I didn't want to be delayed for months due to grips.

My MP20 MMC order last spring took around 6 weeks, and I had added a few different Mizuno clubs and each came in around the 6 weeks mark.
Has Ted & Dave been open to any progress updates? I haven't dropped them a line yet but of course am starting to fall victim to anticipation.

I ordered some Apex irons before the season started here (early to mid February), and they kept getting pushed back on delivery. Then I was able to get some golf in, and decided I was hitting it fine with my current irons, so I decided not to keep waiting, and just cancel the order. At this point in the season, I probably won't be ordering anything new/custom if there is a lead time, b/c by then I may as well wait until next year (Ohio golf season ends Octoberish for me).

Back