Your Course: Not Including Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is your favorite part of your course or club that is not part of the golf course. Meaning anything golf course or practice facility related, what stands out that you enjoy or get use from?

31BD25DE-E947-405A-A2BE-EFDA170AB62B.jpeg

Continue reading...

Practice facilities for sure. I spend a lot of time on the driving range and practice greens. Outside of that my club has really good food and I enjoy a meal there as well.

Private locker. My club has both a public and private course, so the clubhouse can get quite busy. I appreciate our locker room being neat, clean, and quiet.

Our restaurant/bar. It has a real sports bar feel but the food is incredible. A new chef started running the restaurant side of the course this last year and he turned it completely around. Word is he is purchasing his own place though and may leave the course soon which will be a bummer.

Our little 9 holer has what we lovingly refer to as the Heckling Patio. My THP profile pic was taken on that patio, which overlooks the first hole: a 185 yard par 3, over water and the main entry road to the property, with OB long.

We call it the Heckling Patio as a tribute to the late great Al Gagnon, who invited most of us to the club, and was known to sit on the patio with a few beers and loudly say things to golfers on the first tee like "$5 says the guy in the blue hat dumps it in the drink!"

On league nights and Saturdays we can be found raising a glass and placing bets on those unlucky enough to be teeing off.

patio.JPG

A bar/restaurant overlooking the course, preferably #18. Best way to finish the day off talking about all the great/awful shots on the day.

Dining. After a very trying year last year, the club hired a new party to run the restaurant. So far it has been very good. And the club has completed some outdoor improvements for better outdoor dining and socializing.

I don't really have "a course".. I am kind of a golfing vagabond.

For us it's the pool. Having kids, they really enjoy the pool in the summer.

Not a course I play often, but one of the courses a bit from my area has a short game practice area. They have a sand trap and nice size green you can hit into to practice chipping and short game. I wish my closer courses had this type of area.

The bar/grill area of both our courses is nothing to write home about so I guess I will go with the short game area on both courses. Both have seperate putting greens and short game greens/bunkers. The driving range is nice when there is actually grass to hit off of. If we went to the pool more than could be a favorite, but we just don't use it a lot.

Not a course I play often, but one of the courses a bit from my area has a short game practice area. They have a sand trap and nice size green you can hit into to practice chipping and short game. I wish my closer courses had this type of area.
See the first post haha.
Not including practice area.

The driving range doubles as a snow tubing hill in the winter. It stinks in the spring while I wait for the snow to melt, but still pretty neat.

The guy and his wife that run the restaurant are really nice.

See the first post haha.
Not including practice area.
But that is all I got and I wanted to contribute. It had nothing to do with skim reading ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Watching people play into the #9 green from the patio. Heckling guys in league from there as well.

Just the people that work in the pro shop and grounds crew. No restaraunt, bar or any other extras and the practice facilities stink.

The bar/restaurant. Great staff and a good menu plus they try to do weekly specials which has been a little screwed up with the labor shortage we seem to have here. As a plus it’s on the second level of the club with a large outdoor deck that looks over the course. I’ve spent more time than is probably reasonable out there.

The bar/restaurant. Very good food at reasonable prices, nice decor, friendly staff, and a great panoramic view of the lake from both indoors and the 2nd floor outdoor patio.

I literally have nothing..

The staff -- they treat us well.

The pool.

dunno...not much. decent wedding venue? (wouldn't be my choice but i'm not in the market).

Unfortunately, nothing.

MA golf is a tale of two cities: overpriced munis and public courses with packed tee sheets and practice greens where you can’t even chip...
And then Top 100 private clubs where my last name isn’t the right lineage and I don’t have enough zeros in the account.

Back