The GHIN Soft Cap

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone being impacted by the soft cap from GHIN this year?

I'm not playing bad golf, but I am not playing anywhere close to the golf I was to close out 2020. I got hit with the soft cap limit on GHIN (which means that any additional gain after a 3 point swing is at 50%. I've got one more round to kick off from last year, which is 0.0 differential.

With that in mind, my numbers are pretty consistent this year, and yet I'm currently a full point lower on my index than I should be.

How the soft cap isn't year relevant is beyond my comprehension.

I was wondering why my handicap is lower than how my actual game is now. That would explain it. I am consistently shooting were my round differential shows 16-18 consistently yet my Hc is still a 12.5.

I got hit with it earlier in the year. Finally got the game together and it's back to normal. We called it the "sandbagging alert" lol

I got hit with it earlier in the year. Finally got the game together and it's back to normal. We called it the "sandbagging alert" lol
I call it the "Lives in Ohio, has a kid, and just got a puppy" alert.

...and it's a cruel beast.

My handicap fluctuates up and down and I've come close to bumping up against it a couple times, but haven't hit it yet. It's "year relevant" in the sense that it works off your lowest index in the past 12 months.

I like it a lot. 👍

Probably because I haven't hit it.

I don't ever know and understand what the soft cap is but mine seems (and it seems everyone says this) way lower than how I play.

I got hit with it at beginning of year as I’ve got more into “form” it has dropped

I guess I got hit with the hard cap This year LOL finished 2020 as a 3.6 and shot a 73 to open the year. Game has been trash sense and I’m now at seven go figure 😂😂😂

I'm not playing bad golf, but I am not playing anywhere close to the golf I was to close out 2020. I got hit with the soft cap limit on GHIN (which means that any additional gain after a 3 point swing is at 50%. I've got one more round to kick off from last year, which is 0.0 differential.

With that in mind, my numbers are pretty consistent this year, and yet I'm currently a full point lower on my index than I should be.

I got hit with the soft cap as well. Stopped my dreams of being a 10 capper for member guest season. Finally started playing some decent golf and handicap started heading back down.

I got hit with the soft cap as well. Stopped my dreams of being a 10 capper for member guest season. Finally started playing some decent golf and handicap started heading back down.
haha, I'll be the happiest person out there when i start moving back in the right direction, but I was also at an incredibly lofty number at the end of 2020 so most of me is indifferent of the trend (beyond GHIN not giving it the full bump).

It's an ugly world when an honest golfer can't post his scores without getting soft flagged.

haha, I'll be the happiest person out there when i start moving back in the right direction, but I was also at an incredibly lofty number at the end of 2020 so most of me is indifferent of the trend (beyond GHIN not giving it the full bump).

It's an ugly world when an honest golfer can't post his scores without getting soft flagged.
I hear yea I was overjoyed when I started playing decent again. For a while I thought it was gone forever.

Ugh. The soft and hard caps can be pretty annoying. There was a stretch early this year where I had 1 differential lower than my cap on my card. I get the need for it I think, but it can really screw ya.

I just try not to look but I gotta say on the day after posting a score I’m going to GHIN before anything else 🙄

does the GHIN app tell you when you have been capped?

I call it the "Lives in Ohio, has a kid, and just got a puppy" alert.

...and it's a cruel beast.

Babies are good handicap increasers.

does the GHIN app tell you when you have been capped?
Not specifically that I've ever seen. It's just a part of it.

I had a few weeks last year when my index was a few tenths lower because of the soft cap. Never impacted my course handicap by more than one stroke.

After those dozen or so bad rounds were behind me, my play returned to normal. It was basically just a spell where my swing totally deserted me temporarily. Not a real change in my skills.

I’m not sure If this is the same thing but I got hit with extra score deductions because I started a down turn. It took an extra stroke off 10 straight rounds to calculate my updates. This excellerating the 7.2 drop in index I’ve achieved since late March.

Sure does. Little exclamation point beside your current cap.

View attachment 9012529
In the app? I don't remember that. I hardly ever look at the app though. Damn. Now I kind of wish it applied to me right now. That would be an annoying reminder if it was there all the time. *we're screwing you because other people suck, just FYI. lol

Last edited:
I got hit with it last year. Climbed from a 7 to a 10 after a stretch of scary bad play.

This years scores have just revealed that I'm closer to a 10 than a 7 now anyways.

In the app? I don't remember that. I hardly ever look at the app though. Damn. Now I kind of wish it applied to me right now. That would be an annoying reminder if it was there all the time. *we're screwing you because other people suck, just FYI. lol
Yep. getting screwed because people can't be honest.

...or they can, in ridiculously large numbers, but the GHIN collective doesn't believe in them.

Back