Hands down the best consistency in a protein bar I have tried to date.

I’m loving this exchange especially since the two of you are likely in the same house, 😂

For me my diet has become very simple. Most days I have a tuna wrap. I use a light wrap (90 calories) a pouch of tuna (70-90 calories, 15ish grams protein) and an ounce and a half of reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. All in it’s about 350 calories and filling. I usually have a clementine or an orange with it. Sometimes something less healthy but I keep it under 600 calories.

It would make a great snack at the turn too. Drop the clementine and it’s basically messless.

Outside of that I rarely eat again that day. I only eat when I’m hungry now and probably 6 of 7 days I keep total calories under 1000. I don’t drink calories (outside of a stout or three a week) and if I do eat again I usually just eat a protein that I cooked over an open fire (steak, burger, chop, etc-no bread).

So I’ll go with the 350 cal filling tuna wrap as a great alternative to getting a hot dog at the turn. It doesn’t even get all that boring as they have about a million flavors to choose from.

Nuts, Fruit.

Ok, new favorite healthy dessert. Greek yogurt, mixed with peanut butter fudge flavored protein powder, amazing! I added a little nut butter and fresh blueberries to mine because I needed the calories today.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty that are much worse, and I am not a nutritionist and would never tell someone what to eat. I am not a 100% all the time clean eater either, but if I'm grabbing a bar for something quick to eat on the road I'm grabbing an RX or Larabar with all natural ingredients. Higher in carbs and sugar (all natural from fruit), but at least I know what is going in my body. I personally feel a lot better eating something like that then a quest bar, but again, that is just me.
I can think of a lot worse examples than a Quest bar. Their bars and protein powders are actually decent and don't have anything that sets off bells and whistles to me:

Quest.png

Soluble corn fiber is a cheap fiber filler, but I don't hate the thought of ingesting it. I've definitely had better tasting protein bars, but as ingredients go I don't have much heartburn with them. Other than being a tad high in sodium, their macros aren't bad either - unless one is doing low-carb/keto, which brings in a whole different way of looking at things.

Ok, new favorite healthy dessert. Greek yogurt, mixed with peanut butter fudge flavored protein powder, amazing! I added a little nut butter and fresh blueberries to mine because I needed the calories today.
I sometimes mix strawberry/mixed berry Greek yogurt with PB2 powder - makes it taste like PB&J yogurt!

I can think of a lot worse examples than a Quest bar. Their bars and protein powders are actually decent and don't have anything that sets off bells and whistles to me:

View attachment 9012509

Soluble corn fiber is a cheap fiber filler, but I don't hate the thought of ingesting it. I've definitely had better tasting protein bars, but as ingredients go I don't have much heartburn with them. Other than being a tad high in sodium, their macros aren't bad either - unless one is doing low-carb/keto, which brings in a whole different way of looking at things.

Oh, there are plenty of bars out there much worse then Quest, that is just one that came to mind immediately. I’m personally taking a hard pass on the soluble corn fiber and Erythritol. They have some with many more unsavory ingredients then that too, or at least they did. I haven’t had one in years, I’m not a fan.

And I will say it.
Not all protein bars are created equally. My goodness some of them are worse for you than a Snickers Bar. Thankfully @GolferGal can steer me in the right direction on ingredients, but jeez there are some terrible things in some of these.
It's funny you mention that. I had my son offer me one a couple of years ago. I read the ingredients list and I was like "Nah, I'll have a Snickers bar. They aren't any worse for me and they're cheaper". :LOL:

I recently bought some white peaches and ate a ripe one from straight out of the fridge......goodness. Soooo good. I need to get some on the course in my next round.

We bought some of those last year. My wife sliced some of them and froze them. Perfect toss in a ziplock and throw in the golf bag treat. Still half way frozen by the time you dig them out so they're super refreshing on a hot day.

What a great thread. I'm always looking for new snacks as I continue to try to apply Keto-style eating.

I drink a lot of these, which my nutritionist recommended. Like protein bars, some protein shakes can be pretty shaky (see what I did there) on ingredients:

1623386878091.png

They have a plant-based option as well, but I just go with the standard one. My favorite flavor is Vanilla. I get the pre-made rather than just a powder. It's obviously more expensive that way, but I think tastes better.

I'm all ears for other low-carb filling snacks. I just don't find things like celery or peppers satisfying. I'll often take a cooler with some rolled up lunch meat and cheese when I can get away with it.

Oh, there are plenty of bars out there much worse then Quest, that is just one that came to mind immediately. I’m personally taking a hard pass on the soluble corn fiber and Erythritol. They have some with many more unsavory ingredients then that too, or at least they did. I haven’t had one in years, I’m not a fan.

For the record, while a lot of erythritol is synthetic, it is naturally occurring, It is not metabolized by the body, so there is no insulin spike. I'm not a big fan of sucralose or any purely artificial sweetener.

I'm addressing with diet a combination of being prone to oxalate kidney stones and high blood pressure. The oxalates take a lot of food I love off the table - virtually all nuts, spinach, beets, raspberries, blackberries, potatoes, beans, soy, buckwheat, and dates. I have to moderate the amounts of a lot of vegetables, like carrots and celery. Dietary calcium is good for me, so I have become a bigger Greek yogurt fan, with some maple syrup and a healthy dash of cinnamon. Stevia is not good for the oxalate impact. Jerky is good for oxalates and horrible for sodium. And I have to limit pizza when I eat it, because it's a sodium bomb and the crust and sauce are high in oxalates. So I have a lot of air-popped popcorn, and certain types of dried fruit.

For the record, while a lot of erythritol is synthetic, it is naturally occurring, It is not metabolized by the body, so there is no insulin spike. I'm not a big fan of sucralose or any purely artificial sweetener.

I'm addressing with diet a combination of being prone to oxalate kidney stones and high blood pressure. The oxalates take a lot of food I love off the table - virtually all nuts, spinach, beets, raspberries, blackberries, potatoes, beans, soy, buckwheat, and dates. I have to moderate the amounts of a lot of vegetables, like carrots and celery. Dietary calcium is good for me, so I have become a bigger Greek yogurt fan, with some maple syrup and a healthy dash of cinnamon. Stevia is not good for the oxalate impact. Jerky is good for oxalates and horrible for sodium. And I have to limit pizza when I eat it, because it's a sodium bomb and the crust and sauce are high in oxalates. So I have a lot of air-popped popcorn, and certain types of dried fruit.

I have chronic kidney stones (Uric Acid, nothing to do??) you have my attention as someone that’s lost 100# now and has drank a lot of “diet” crap.

I am not a nutrition expert (lol at those that met me a couple years ago not even coming close to recognizing me now, ashamed I let myself get there) but I haven’t seen any problems with Stevia?

I do have medical knowledge. Stevia has always been deemed safe by me. As a provider is there something I need to know?

Do I need to look further? If I do where do I stop? Can anything be deemed safe or does it drop at 2015’s version of safe? Stevia has been the best artificial sweetener I’ve seen. ?? Educate me.

I’m not being argumentative. I genuinely want to know how people feel on this. It will likely help guide me the rest of my career. Which may be 12 days or 12 years? Can be either. Don’t care anymore. I will drop all licensure at the damn door and move to AK tonight if I think it is best.

Prefer to give a couple more years but damn. I’m about done. Of course I’m posting as someone that has to get up in 3 hours to go vaccinate/inoculate America. Again. I’m getting tired my friends. I’ve ditched all outside commitments for this.

Ick. I’m about done before heading off. Goal is next spring now.

Good Culture cottage cheese is my new favorite brand. Super clean, and tight curds. I absolutely love it.
I eat a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese, too. And I could almost live on high-quality protein shakes.
One of my work mates , had experience with protein shakes and alternative shakes , he decided to live on them almost exclusively , ended up in hospital with very serious case of diverticulitis🤭 ☹️ , not very good out come , he’s well now 😊

On course will depend upon which season we are playing in as golf is all year round.
Summer tends to be a banana and some salted crackers for replacing salt and slow sugar release
Nuts occasionally, and mixture of tap water and electrolyte drink, especially in Australian summers .

Colder months , tend to be something hotter from clubhouse pro shop , pie or sausage roll , or perhaps a coffee to get warmth into hands and body ( yes it’s diuretic ) but small cup no sugar .

Never need protein bars etc, not expending that much energy during round to require that.

Yeah, I know what it is, I just don't like it. I don't like Stevia either. Nothing wrong with it, I just really hate the way it tastes.

One of my work mates , had experience with protein shakes and alternative shakes , he decided to live on them almost exclusively , ended up in hospital with very serious case of diverticulitis🤭 ☹ , not very good out come , he’s well now 😊

I was talking about cottage cheese not protein shakes, but I would imagine living on just protein shakes, especially if you don't read the ingredients, would be horrible for you. I had a client years ago (when I worked outside of THP and in the fitness world) that was a GM at Costco and he said all but 1 brand of protein powders and shakes when they were delivered to the store were delivered as hazardous material.

Since i have been on my weight loss journey I snack a lot less, but I do snack during my 8 hour eating window. Typically I will eat banana, clementine, beef jerky(make it at home), homemade granola, apples, and organic amish peanut butter.

We've been buying a lot of different trail mixes, nuts, and dried fruits. Current favorites are dried kiwifruit and banana chips.

Still madly in love with the Blue Diamond wasabi and soy sauce almonds, too. Dangerously close to pushing out cashews as my favorite nut.

I have chronic kidney stones (Uric Acid, nothing to do??) you have my attention as someone that’s lost 100# now and has drank a lot of “diet” crap.

I am not a nutrition expert (lol at those that met me a couple years ago not even coming close to recognizing me now, ashamed I let myself get there) but I haven’t seen any problems with Stevia?

I do have medical knowledge. Stevia has always been deemed safe by me. As a provider is there something I need to know?

Do I need to look further? If I do where do I stop? Can anything be deemed safe or does it drop at 2015’s version of safe? Stevia has been the best artificial sweetener I’ve seen. ?? Educate me.

I’m not being argumentative. I genuinely want to know how people feel on this. It will likely help guide me the rest of my career. Which may be 12 days or 12 years? Can be either. Don’t care anymore. I will drop all licensure at the damn door and move to AK tonight if I think it is best.

Prefer to give a couple more years but damn. I’m about done. Of course I’m posting as someone that has to get up in 3 hours to go vaccinate/inoculate America. Again. I’m getting tired my friends. I’ve ditched all outside commitments for this.

Ick. I’m about done before heading off. Goal is next spring now.

Didn't mean to scare ya.

Stevia is, as far as I know, a very safe alternative to caloric and other non-caloric sweeteners. It is safe in the same way beets are safe. But neither is good for me, because both are relatively high in oxalate. I'm more anal than about 99% of people about this because of my situation. Basically, instead of being a straight shot, one of the ureters between a kidney and my bladder is kinked, so it's a place where a stone can get trapped and grow. One did, I had no symptoms, and when they found it, it was about 15 mm, or the size of a dime. Normally, there is one way in and one way out, and it took three uncomfortable tries for them to get it all. The alternative, to go in through my kidney by tapping it like a keg of beer, was even less attractive. The doctors tell me that about 2% of people with kidney stones have no symptoms, but their ureters are straight and they just pass them without knowing it. I lost enough function in my right kidney to get my attention, so I really do not want to go through this again, and have changed my diet as a result. Probably to the extreme.

Nothing is 100% safe - water kills 3,500 people annually by drowning. And even I could (an probably do) consume stevia safely in small quantities. I'm just acting out of an abundance of caution.

Last edited:
My favorite healthy snacks especially in the hot summer are frozen grapes. I wash, dry and bag them in a ziplock bag and toss them in the freezer.
They stay mostly frozen in the cooler bag on the cart and last the whole round.....if I let them.

Yeah, I know what it is, I just don't like it. I don't like Stevia either. Nothing wrong with it, I just really hate the way it tastes.
I'm not a fan of the taste of Stevia either - it's bitter to me. Aspartame is my preferred artificial sweetener - it's basically aspartic acid and phenylalanine (amino acids), and there have been hundreds of studies proving its safety.

I was talking about cottage cheese not protein shakes, but I would imagine living on just protein shakes, especially if you don't read the ingredients, would be horrible for you. I had a client years ago (when I worked outside of THP and in the fitness world) that was a GM at Costco and he said all but 1 brand of protein powders and shakes when they were delivered to the store were delivered as hazardous material.
Any diet that is nearly exclusively protein, without adequate fats, is horrible for you. Google "rabbit starvation", definitely not a good idea.

My favorite healthy snacks especially in the hot summer are frozen grapes. I wash, dry and bag them in a ziplock bag and toss them in the freezer.
They stay mostly frozen in the cooler bag on the cart and last the whole round.....if I let them.
When i worked at a country club we had them in the freezer at the outdoor pavilion for the members and their kids. We couldn't keep them we went through 10 plus pounds of grapes a day.

Which brand of protein powder? I'd imagine there might be some that don't taste as great mixed, but maybe not. I'm on a greek yogurt kick lately and looking for an alternative to adding granola to it.

Which brand of protein powder? I'd imagine there might be some that don't taste as great mixed, but maybe not. I'm on a greek yogurt kick lately and looking for an alternative to adding granola to it.

EDIT: I thought you were asking a question about something else and I realized my response made no sense haha.

As JB said below, the peanut butter fudge and French toast flavors from 1up nutrition have been awesome mixed with yogurt, or just mixed on it's own with a little almond milk and some frozen fruit.

Last edited:
Thr peanut fudge powder we have is 1up nutrition. I think we have 15 different tubs of protein in all different flavors

Finishing up my container of KOS. I'll have to give 1Up a try.

I really liked Ladder protein, but it seems to be harder to find in the packets these days and I have no idea if it's really got good ingredients in it.

Finishing up my container of KOS. I'll have to give 1Up a try.

I really liked Ladder protein, but it seems to be harder to find in the packets these days and I have no idea if it's really got good ingredients in it.
We have a pretty good protein powder thread, because we use a lot of it haha and I am always trying a new tub. I think my favorite out of everything we have tried is Planta Vegan and their maple french toast.

Back