Finally received the Gibson yesterday and I really like it. There is one very small area on the side above the pickup selector where the finish is slightly dull. But other than that it looks great. The action is nice, the pickups sound great, and it feels great to play. I'm glad I bought it.

Even on the clean setting through my amp, there was a slight touch of distortion and sustain - which I like. I've been playing around with the coil tapping and phase & bypass. While the different combinations really change the sound, I haven't yet decided on a setting I like more than any other.

Really, I just want to get back into playing more, learn some new scales and chords, and hopefully do some more arranging and recording in Garageband.

View attachment 9011233

Be sure to play with the pickup height as well. Some LPs can be really sensitive to that. I like to run them lower.

Finally received the Gibson yesterday and I really like it. There is one very small area on the side above the pickup selector where the finish is slightly dull. But other than that it looks great. The action is nice, the pickups sound great, and it feels great to play. I'm glad I bought it.

Even on the clean setting through my amp, there was a slight touch of distortion and sustain - which I like. I've been playing around with the coil tapping and phase & bypass. While the different combinations really change the sound, I haven't yet decided on a setting I like more than any other.

Really, I just want to get back into playing more, learn some new scales and chords, and hopefully do some more arranging and recording in Garageband.

View attachment 9011233
Congrats, beautiful guitar!

This guitar is amazing! BTW, where did you order a hard case for it?
The case came with the guitar. It's a TKL case and was made in Canada. I bought both through American Musical Supply. I was considering the Les Paul Studio at a few hundred less. But I liked the idea of having a hard shell case.

first new gear day for my youngest!

226C19C2-4821-42B9-AFB1-9DA43B62D440.jpeg

I picked up a cheap noise gate and wireless system for my home rig. Since I don't tour that's where it will get all the use. :rockon: I would love to see how loud my PRS head will get without sitting in the room. I'm just curious if I can get some extra bite and chug with a little more volume. The wife will not be pleased. :p

I picked up a cheap noise gate and wireless system for my home rig. Since I don't tour that's where it will get all the use. :rockon: I would love to see how loud my PRS head will get without sitting in the room. I'm just curious if I can get some extra bite and chug with a little more volume. The wife will not be pleased. :p

So how'd it sound cranked up?

On the assumption that it's a tube amp, pretty damn loud and good I would imagine!!

Oh undoubtedly! Even my little 5w Blackstar sounds glorious cranked up with a little boost in front of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh undoubtedly! Even my little 5w Blackstar sounds glorious cranked up with a little boost in front of it.

Hell yeah! I have a 100w Marshall tube head and have never ever been able to get it any more than about 4 - is a sound engineer's worst nightmare :LOL:

Hell yeah! I have a 100w Marshall tube head and have never ever been able to get it any more than about 4 - is a sound engineer's worst nightmare :LOL:

Yeah, honestly at this point if I need anything more than a slightly over driven tone, I am just using an amp sim instead to dial in the tones I want when I record. It’s just far easier than dealing with an angry family when I am micing up a cranked amp.

Yeah, honestly at this point if I need anything more than a slightly over driven tone, I am just using an amp sim instead to dial in the tones I want when I record. It’s just far easier than dealing with an angry family when I am micing up a cranked amp.

I'm absolutely on the same page, I find that the sim tones nowadays are so good that I rarely use a mic'd amp when I'm recording. I just run Guitar-Rig and with a bit of tweaking of the EQ I find that they tones are pretty much spot on. You'll never get it exact of course, but then again I'm not recording Grammy winning records :LOL:

I have the Stereo 10 V3 from Blackstar. I'm not into playing as much as it seems most others are in this thread, but I really like that little amp. It's plenty loud for my needs. One nice feature is that it plugs into the computer via USB and can serve as an interface if/when I decide to record guitar tracks.

My only issue now is how to record bass lines. I don't want to run the bass through the amp and my cheap Behringer interface may have bit the dust.

I have the Stereo 10 V3 from Blackstar. I'm not into playing as much as it seems most others are in this thread, but I really like that little amp. It's plenty loud for my needs. One nice feature is that it plugs into the computer via USB and can serve as an interface if/when I decide to record guitar tracks.

My only issue now is how to record bass lines. I don't want to run the bass through the amp and my cheap Behringer interface may have bit the dust.
I would say realistically another interface is the way forward. You could plug into the guitar amp, but I'm always a bit leery of doing that. Can get some really decent interfaces for not a big outlay at all - I've got a M-Track 2x2 which is excellent, and have also recorded with a Scarlett Focusrite. Both solid choices.

I was a music major (jazz studies) in college after a three year stint in an Army band (trumpet). Played professionally for a couple of years too. Switched my major to computer science after a couple of years. Still play though, when I can.

i also play acoustic guitar, and have a Seagull Artist Cutaway 6-string, a Seagull S-12, and a LaPatrie nylon 6-string.

and I play piano as well, and have a couple of digital pianos.

If you're tracking bass via the USB DI and not playing through the speaker direct, you'll be fine. Even if you're using the speaker itself, as long as you're not cranking volume you should be OK. I've recorded live bass mic'd up through my Blackstar with no issues, but that was at a lower volume.

Agreed with @HarlettoScara though, an inexpensive interface would probably suit you the best in the long run. I track bass through a cheap Behringer SansAmp clone into my Tascam interface, a lot of times some tweaking & compression is all it needs in the mix after that.

If you're tracking bass via the USB DI and not playing through the speaker direct, you'll be fine. Even if you're using the speaker itself, as long as you're not cranking volume you should be OK. I've recorded live bass mic'd up through my Blackstar with no issues, but that was at a lower volume.

Agreed with @HarlettoScara though, an inexpensive interface would probably suit you the best in the long run. I track bass through a cheap Behringer SansAmp clone into my Tascam interface, a lot of times some tweaking & compression is all it needs in the mix after that.
And as we all know, the tweaking is all part of the fun :LOL:

And as we all know, the tweaking is all part of the fun :LOL:

I've literally lost track of the plugins, drum samples, and ampsims I've purchased/downloaded over the years. Sometimes it is better to just mic up an amp or a kit and be done with it!!!

I've literally lost track of the plugins, drum samples, and ampsims I've purchased/downloaded over the years. Sometimes it is better to just mic up an amp or a kit and be done with it!!!
Yup, I'm exactly the same! My folder is full of hundreds of sims, synths, samples and everything else besides. Which is utterly pointless because I use the same handful on every single thing I've done, and barely even loaded up 99% of them. Need to have a clear out....

I need to post some pictures of the Gretsch 5420 I picked up a couple months ago. The thing is gorgeous.

Recording life got much easier for me after I bought the Helix LT. I use it for guitar and bass. I still have amps, but they're just used as in-room monitors now. Wish I'd gone that route long before I finally did.

I've got an 18 watt Dr. Z and a Fender Deluxe Reverb, both of them are way too loud for playing at home - even with the Airbrake attenuator for the Z dialed all the way up! I can't get the volume knob much above 2, not even getting the tubes cooking at that point. I have a Positive Grid Spark amp, and it's a great solution for playing at home - the accompanying app on my iPad allows me to dial up any tone I want, even at whisper soft volume levels, and it also works as a USB interface for if/when I get back into messing around with home recording. I also have a Line 6 Pod HD500X which I can run headphones out of and play in virtual silence, but that thing just exhausts me trying to tweak good tones out of it - it has so many options that you almost have to be an electrical engineer to figure everything out, and you can go down endless rabbit holes screwing around with all the parameters.

I was a music major (jazz studies) in college after a three year stint in an Army band (trumpet). Played professionally for a couple of years too. Switched my major to computer science after a couple of years. Still play though, when I can.

i also play acoustic guitar, and have a Seagull Artist Cutaway 6-string, a Seagull S-12, and a LaPatrie nylon 6-string.

and I play piano as well, and have a couple of digital pianos.
Keyed instruments are the one thing that have always been a complete mystery to me. I play guitar, can do real basic stuff on bass and drums, but I can't play a lick on a piano/keyboard.

I also have a Line 6 Pod HD500X which I can run headphones out of and play in virtual silence, but that thing just exhausts me trying to tweak good tones out of it - it has so many options that you almost have to be an electrical engineer to figure everything out, and you can go down endless rabbit holes screwing around with all the parameters.

Yeah that's always been my problem with ampsims. I end up tweaking way more than I should, constantly swapping out heads, cab impulses, etc. Lately I've had a couple of go-to's over the past few years - Amped Roots from ML Sound and Sigma from Audio Assault and that's saved me from endless tweaking. Amplitube's SVX model is just fantastic on bass so if I need an amped tone rather than DI that's what I'll pull up.

Yeah that's always been my problem with ampsims. I end up tweaking way more than I should, constantly swapping out heads, cab impulses, etc. Lately I've had a couple of go-to's over the past few years - Amped Roots from ML Sound and Sigma from Audio Assault and that's saved me from endless tweaking. Amplitube's SVX model is just fantastic on bass so if I need an amped tone rather than DI that's what I'll pull up.
The Spark amp allows tweaking, but it doesn’t have near as many options/parameters as the Line 6. That can be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it, but you can get some good sounds out of that thing even with the more limited feature set, and it’s more intuitive. The user library has a ton of presets people have created, some of which are really good and some not, but it’s not hard to find usable ones for just about any tone you have in mind.

Back