Review MotoCaddy M7 Electric Caddy Review

Just read through this thread to compare it against my Powakaddy electric trolley

Despite not having a remote and working in the equivalent of manual mode for the Motocaddy, uphill slopes are easy enough to negotiate as I just keep a hand on the handle to guide it and maybe adjust the speed up a bit until I reach the top of the slope - the only thing I sometimes wish I had gone for was the model with the electronic brake assist for steep downhill slopes, but in those instances I just turn off the motor until I hit the bottom of the slope

I seem to remember seeing a post saying that the display doesn't turn off on the Motocaddy? I don't know if it is the same as the Powakaddy, but that display does turn off after a period of inactivity (I don't know how long as never timed it, but if the trolley is left whilst I am warming up by the practice green, the display will often have turned off when I am ready to head to the 1st tee and it just needs a click of the control button on the handle to switch it back on)

My trolley does have a function called ADF (Automatic Distance Function) which allows you to send the trolley off in a specific direction for either 15/30/45 yards, which I often use near to the green to send the trolley off in the direction of the next tee when the terrain allows it

That looks really really good. Have been considering a battery cart for a while, but never even had in my mind one that drove remotely. I think two questions off the bat.

How does it cope when things get a little muddy, as things have a tendency to be over here after a few days rain.
Would it take me home if I decided to have a few beers in the clubhouse post round?
We have a Powakaddy trolley and the standard wheels seem fine when it is wet, but the winter wheels you can get are wider and have a completely different tread pattern to them and, other than getting the gaps filled with mud, they handle the winter conditions fine, so I would imagine you would be fine north of the border

As for your second question, I don't think there is anything that can help you after a few beers :LOL:

When you make it down this way, I will make sure I have the Powakaddy with me so you can see how easy it is to use

Just read through this thread to compare it against my Powakaddy electric trolley

Despite not having a remote and working in the equivalent of manual mode for the Motocaddy, uphill slopes are easy enough to negotiate as I just keep a hand on the handle to guide it and maybe adjust the speed up a bit until I reach the top of the slope - the only thing I sometimes wish I had gone for was the model with the electronic brake assist for steep downhill slopes, but in those instances I just turn off the motor until I hit the bottom of the slope

I seem to remember seeing a post saying that the display doesn't turn off on the Motocaddy? I don't know if it is the same as the Powakaddy, but that display does turn off after a period of inactivity (I don't know how long as never timed it, but if the trolley is left whilst I am warming up by the practice green, the display will often have turned off when I am ready to head to the 1st tee and it just needs a click of the control button on the handle to switch it back on)

My trolley does have a function called ADF (Automatic Distance Function) which allows you to send the trolley off in a specific direction for either 15/30/45 yards, which I often use near to the green to send the trolley off in the direction of the next tee when the terrain allows it

We have a Powakaddy trolley and the standard wheels seem fine when it is wet, but the winter wheels you can get are wider and have a completely different tread pattern to them and, other than getting the gaps filled with mud, they handle the winter conditions fine, so I would imagine you would be fine north of the border

As for your second question, I don't think there is anything that can help you after a few beers :LOL:

When you make it down this way, I will make sure I have the Powakaddy with me so you can see how easy it is to use
That all sounds very positive. Although the main sticking point is of course I am totally unable to get an electric one until my old man who is in his mid 70s gets one first - he would never ever let me live that down :ROFLMAO:

All being well I'll be heading down over the next couple of months. Have a few long overdue client visits to make, and of course play some golf so we'll need to get something arranged sooner rather than later (y)

That all sounds very positive. Although the main sticking point is of course I am totally unable to get an electric one until my old man who is in his mid 70s gets one first - he would never ever let me live that down :ROFLMAO:

All being well I'll be heading down over the next couple of months. Have a few long overdue client visits to make, and of course play some golf so we'll need to get something arranged sooner rather than later (y)
Just give me a shout when you know the dates and we will get something sorted (y)

Correct about the display, it does not appear to turn off. They strongly recommend you unplug the battery during travel as well. To me, when it’s plugged in, it’s gonna be moving just the same.

I haven’t had any issues with the battery life at this point at that. Mine is going for a round tomorrow, I may leave it plugged in after the round and just see how the battery life is come Saturday morning?

Correct about the display, it does not appear to turn off. They strongly recommend you unplug the battery during travel as well. To me, when it’s plugged in, it’s gonna be moving just the same.

I haven’t had any issues with the battery life at this point at that. Mine is going for a round tomorrow, I may leave it plugged in after the round and just see how the battery life is come Saturday morning?
With the Powakaddy, the battery has a button that allows you to turn the battery off so that it can be left plugged in to the trolley without any drain, but I tend to remove it from the trolley when putting it in my car as it folds down fractionally better without the battery in

I have been removing the battery all together when folding it up for travel. As for battery life, no concerns right now.

I have been removing the battery all together when folding it up for travel. As for battery life, no concerns right now.

I actually really like the removable battery. Cart stays in garage, charger is in my office.

I actually really like the removable battery. Cart stays in garage, charger is in my office.

exactly my set up as well. It’s nice, I don’t have to take the actual cart out of my trunk, I can just pull the battery back-and-forth.

I'm on the green putting....bag is on the tee ready for go time...

2A716AE1-FB22-4C69-BD0A-9451450A4313.jpeg

I'm on the green putting....bag is on the tee ready for go time...

View attachment 9012483
I’m very much looking forward to your thoughts after this round. I know you and the rest of the testers are settling into a routine with it.

Large cupholders were also delivered

Original
04E8AD42-8B7E-4B0F-9018-A2087CDD78D6.jpeg

Larger

94C6134B-B188-4975-981D-28EB9622845A.jpeg

Using the EZLock system tonight. No bottom strap needed.

C648027A-107A-4DBE-8F7E-E349B4698BE2.jpeg3FEB2A0E-9E6C-4126-94AD-30C569499BB1.jpeg745E0ACA-7732-4FB6-9AD9-D73C28C54997.jpeg

Did you take off the carry straps?

Good catch. So a feature of the stand bag, and Ill throw it in the bag thread too, is that the straps have 4 spots where they just clip in for easy on, easy off. So yes I took them off for this round. Here is a look at the buckles that the straps snap into.

207D4F7B-9CE5-4D44-9472-BEE644BA76A7.jpeg

Gotta say this is one of my favorite review threads in a while. You all are doing a great job. Keep it up!

I think I mentioned this before, but I'll throw it out there again.... On day 1 when I rolled up to league play with this thing, I was ready for all sorts of ribbing. I totally felt a little self-conscious about using it, or as I put it, felt like a dink.

Fast forward now to yesterday, more people saw it in action and the common responses I have been getting are: "oh man that thing is cool" "I'd be way more inclined to walk if I had one of those" "the only thing missing is being able to have it hit the ball for you"

I get all sorts of inquires about the brand, the price, and the general performance. Most people think that the $1,500 price tag is not unreasonable and they love the remote feature. I let one of the guys take it for a test drive after the round and he thought it was really smart and fun to use.

So overall, the reception of it has been overly positive, and one hell of a conversation starter. No need to feel self-conscious about it at all.

I think I mentioned this before, but I'll throw it out there again.... On day 1 when I rolled up to league play with this thing, I was ready for all sorts of ribbing. I totally felt a little self-conscious about using it, or as I put it, felt like a dink.

Fast forward now to yesterday, more people saw it in action and the common responses I have been getting are: "oh man that thing is cool" "I'd be way more inclined to walk if I had one of those" "the only thing missing is being able to have it hit the ball for you"

I get all sorts of inquires about the brand, the price, and the general performance. Most people think that the $1,500 price tag is not unreasonable and they love the remote feature. I let one of the guys take it for a test drive after the round and he thought it was really smart and fun to use.

So overall, the reception of it has been overly positive, and one hell of a conversation starter. No need to feel self-conscious about it at all.
It is basically a new set of irons.

Finished my round, will write it up tonight. 95 and 75% humidity, zero breeze? Kinda hate life right now haha. Cart performed great though!

95 and 75% humidity, zero breeze? Kinda hate life right now haha.
Ouch. Doesn't seem fun at all really. I'm contemplating getting this thing and using the M7 USB port to power it.

61vUjJx4y3S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For those in the know... how easy is it to get/return your clubs if you have a mounted handheld GPS or smartphone. A picture looking down at the GPS showing the clubs would be very helpful if possible. A trolly is a serious ponder for next year but it has to provide easy club access.

Took this out for a spin yesterday on a course that had a lot of sandy terrain.

Overa, the cart performed terrifically. Firm sand it worked just fine as one would assume it would. Soft sugar sand, I was worried. It does slow down like one would expect. However, it was able to power through without getting stuck but I needed to basically crank it to max speed for it to be alright. Wasn’t that big a deal to speed it up, but I would also recommend avoiding driving in soft sand as much as possible if you can avoid it. I assume it probably isn’t the greatest for it at max power but little movement.

One issue that I’m not sure of its reason is it’s come to a complete stop out of nowhere. I’m not sure if my hand bumped the stop button on the remote or cart, or if it’s got a built in panic mode where it just hits a bump and stops just in case there’s a loss of control. But then again, I don’t remember going over a sprinkler head or something and having it do that.

That may be a better question for @Motocaddy than for me to go out and see what makes it freak out and stop but it’s something to keep an eye on.

As someone who has used electric carts for over 10 years, it is fun to see the enthusiasm of people discovering the benefits. I have averaged 160 rounds per year with Bag Boy Navigators (used heavy motorcycle battery) and now the MGI Zip Navigator AT with a 380 mah lithium battery. Figuring 5 miles per round that means I have walked over 8,000 miles using electric carts. The design and technology have significantly improved along with less weight and smaller footprint. One of the funnier moments is when I was about 100 yards behind my cart moving it past the practice putting area to the next tee box and someone sprinted over to it thinking it was out of control. Having a seat on the MGI Zip Navigator is a real plus on hot summer days.

Back