Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

New driver...who diss?! My long drives used to be 150 then this beauty came into my life! I love my Epic Max! 20210609_173533.jpg

epic max was really good today. i messed around with my thce16 shaft on the range, but i think the tip is failing because it’s so inconsistent right now, where it used to be automatic. so the stock im10 50s is back in, and i bumped the head to -1N on the range last weekend and forgot to set it back to standard. it worked out ok, but not sure i’ll leave it.

highlight was #18. it’s a hole that always gives me driving fits. chute of trees down the right and left, bunker straight away that’s in play, hole calls for a gentle draw. hit a slight toe side draw that was perfectly shaped, 285 per gps. set up my only bogey birdie for the day.

i’m so thrilled with this driver!

edit: set up my only BIRDIE of the day, not bogey :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I tried the Epic Max 3 wood during my lesson today. I rarely hit my current fairway wood, so I'm looking for something I'd feel confident hitting. The Max was pretty nice, but we'll see what I get fit for. I still need to practice my fairway wood swing.

So-so driving yesterday with the Max LS. Had a low screaming hook on a par 5, but it was still in play and set me up for a 245 yard bomb with the Max 3 wood on a teed up in the rough lie. Got me in a greenside bunker for an easy par. Bombed the 3 wood downhill and straight of the tee two other times where driver was going to be too much. Still very pleased with the speed retention across the face on the driver, and the 3 wood is easy for me to get in the air.

I had not seen my parents for two years due to the pandemic. I went up to St. Louis last weekend and got to play a couple rounds with my dad. I have improved overall since our last round and my driving is better than ever. It was glorious to bomb the LS and see my dads jaw drop at how long it is.

Previously I tested the Max for the 2nd driver spot and today I am going to give the Speed a run in the slot for a few holes on the course this afternoon.

Previously I tested the Max for the 2nd driver spot and today I am going to give the Speed a run in the slot for a few holes on the course this afternoon.

curious to hear which fits that slot better for you.

curious to hear which fits that slot better for you.

The Max was really really good in it. Then yesterday I picked up the Speed and it was literally perfect numbers for me so I got pretty confused. Paired with a PX shaft cut to 43.5 and I was seeing right in my wheel house for spin and launch.

I just had a shoot out between my incumbent Speed 10.5 and a Max 10.5 head. The Max is going to be the winner for me. I need the draw bias and extra forgiveness. Looking forward to getting it out on the course if it ever quits raining.

epic max was really good today. i messed around with my thce16 shaft on the range, but i think the tip is failing because it’s so inconsistent right now, where it used to be automatic. so the stock im10 50s is back in, and i bumped the head to -1N on the range last weekend and forgot to set it back to standard. it worked out ok, but not sure i’ll leave it.

highlight was #18. it’s a hole that always gives me driving fits. chute of trees down the right and left, bunker straight away that’s in play, hole calls for a gentle draw. hit a slight toe side draw that was perfectly shaped, 285 per gps. set up my only bogey birdie for the day.

i’m so thrilled with this driver!

edit: set up my only BIRDIE of the day, not bogey :ROFLMAO:

Curious - with the Max, if you slide the weight fully toe side, does the driver have a healthy fade bias?

Curious - with the Max, if you slide the weight fully toe side, does the driver have a healthy fade bias?

i haven’t done that yet but i doubt it. i’ll let you know!

Hit the LS today and really liked what I saw. My Speed is a little worried. With the weight in the toe it is really hard to go left which is very appealing at the moment.

Good swing my man!
Thanks. It’s taken some work and still have a lot to do to get the wrist movement down at the top of the swing and holding it through impact. I hit a full large bucket with the irons and 3/4 of another bucket with just driver and my lower back isn’t bothering me one bit. It’s amazing when your swing becomes more efficient how much less stress you put on your lower back.

Thanks. It’s taken some work and still have a lot to do to get the wrist movement down at the top of the swing and holding it through impact. I hit a full large bucket with the irons and 3/4 of another bucket with just driver and my lower back isn’t bothering me one bit. It’s amazing when your swing becomes more efficient how much less stress you put on your lower back.

And I KNOW you're working on the "knockdown " shot we spoke about ......🤔🤔🤔🏌🏌🏌🤪🤪🤪

And I KNOW you're working on the "knockdown " shot we spoke about ......🤔🤔🤔🏌🏌🏌🤪🤪🤪
Haha. Not yet. Had to get swing fixed first but I haven’t forgotten lol.

And how much better your balance is! I still need to work on consistency, but my good shots are better than anything I hit before all these lessons.

My goodness the Max LS is an absolute beast! Longest drive of the day was 304 with an average of 286 today! This tweak in the wrists at the top of the backswing has made a phenomenal difference!

My goodness the Max LS is an absolute beast! Longest drive of the day was 304 with an average of 286 today! This tweak in the wrists at the top of the backswing has made a phenomenal difference!

I just love the Max LS. Been bouncing back and forth between the 9* Max and 10.5* Max LS, and while I really like the Max, the Max LS is just special for me. I have settled in with the S+ Blue 60 stiff for now, and maybe it isn‘t the longest or lowest spin or whatever, but for now, it is very comfortable, consistent and reliable.

I just love the Max LS. Been bouncing back and forth between the 9* Max and 10.5* Max LS, and while I really like the Max, the Max LS is just special for me. I have settled in with the S+ Blue 60 stiff for now, and maybe it isn‘t the longest or lowest spin or whatever, but for now, it is very comfortable, consistent and reliable.
I got fit into the LS back early in the year and had a bout where my swing went bad and started contemplating if it was right for me, but it was my swing. Had 1 lesson and boom. Back to having confidence again. I have the 9* set to -1/D with the weight in the heal.

I got fit into the LS back early in the year and had a bout where my swing went bad and started contemplating if it was right for me, but it was my swing. Had 1 lesson and boom. Back to having confidence again. I have the 9* set to -1/D with the weight in the heal.

That’s probably some seriously low spin playing at 8*. I play a 10.5* Max LS at +1/D with a 13g weight in the middle for about D3 SW. I did not do a thorough fitting, but I have hit some of my Callaway shafts with the Max LS, and once dialed in, I’ve been trying to stick with a given shaft rather than constantly trying for the next best thing.

I do have a ton of Callaway shafts around, so if I ever get the itch, I will give some more shafts a run like the Rogue White 60, Tensei Blue 65, etc. And if I ever get around to it, I might do a proper CC fitting to hit some Ventus shafts in the Max LS and whatever else. For the first time in a while though, I do feel very confident that I have as good a head as I can for me, and don‘t need to hit more drivers. The Max LS is so forgiving for a low spin driver.

I think I'm going to play my Speed when I take the ZX7's and Z-Star XV's next. See what that gives me. I don't think I've tried that ball with it. Tee game is getting boring. Need something to spice it up.

Good tee game with the Speed today, 11 FIR. I'm not the longest off the tee but got one out to 257 today so was pretty happy with it.

Back