New England Members

Hi Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.
My wife and I are moving from MA to Merrimack NH at the end of June. I play but she does not.
A. Any course recommendations in the area would be appreciated
B. Any reasonable membership suggestions at clubs in the area would be appreciated as well.
16 handicap working on short game after foot surgery last year.
Thanks
Bob.

First time out at Granite Links... I’ll try and be nice, but for 150 bucks that’s a hard pass for me. It was a treat but unless someone is comping me a round, may never go back.

That’s more than most guest fees at high end private courses that blow the doors off that course.
Same here. Hugely overhyped.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.
My wife and I are moving from MA to Merrimack NH at the end of June. I play but she does not.
A. Any course recommendations in the area would be appreciated
B. Any reasonable membership suggestions at clubs in the area would be appreciated as well.
16 handicap working on short game after foot surgery last year.
Thanks
Bob.
Souheagan Woods, in Amherst, nice course with lots of bunkers. Passaconway CC in Litchfield good test always in nice shape. . To the south the 2 green meadow courses, for now at least. The overlook in Hollis is a good course. Others I'm sure I am forgetting.

Souheagan Woods, in Amherst, nice course with lots of bunkers. Passaconway CC in Litchfield good test always in nice shape. . To the south the 2 green meadow courses, for now at least. The overlook in Hollis is a good course. Others I'm sure I am forgetting.

Thank you!

Played Passaconaway Saturday and it's in great shape. Pollen was brutal w/ my contacts though!

IMG_20210605_121057653.jpg

Thank you!
Anytime. If you want to schedule a round after you move let me know. Always good to get out with other THPers.

Same here. Hugely overhyped.

I was also turned off by the clientele... it’s like “new money” all over the place. I saw so many horrendous outfits, huge SUV’s, and loud people drinking way too many beers for 9am.
Maybe I’m coming across kind of harsh, it was just a weird experience.

I was also turned off by the clientele... it’s like “new money” all over the place. I saw so many horrendous outfits, huge SUV’s, and loud people drinking way too many beers for 9am.
Maybe I’m coming across kind of harsh, it was just a weird experience.
I've played there twice on Fathers Day, both times were comped through a friends work. Both times were the same, similar to your experience, third offer I declined. I kind of chalked it up to city golf. Now if I'm shelling out that kind of $ I'm going to Redtail or Pine Hills. It's Redtail this coming Saturday.

I've played there twice on Fathers Day, both times were comped through a friends work. Both times were the same, similar to your experience, third offer I declined. I kind of chalked it up to city golf. Now if I'm shelling out that kind of $ I'm going to Redtail or Pine Hills. It's Redtail this coming Saturday.
Love Redtail, especially that crazy finishing hole.
Down a dogleg right over the water blind shot..layup or hit it and hope..

I’m glad I’m not the only one... I’m psyched that dudes are ok with shelling out 150 bucks but act like you’ve been on a course before... and this is common from a dude who will wear Jordan’s and joggers. I’m just quiet and hit the ball down the fairway, sometimes.

Praying for good weather Monday... fun annual event out at Oakley. A scramble with a ton of weird rules but awesome prices.

also found out I’m playing 36 holes next Saturday with Tom Coyne at The Captains Course. That will be epic.

I just read an article about the muni course listing and it said that Ponkapog was recently renovated. Is that accurate? I haven’t heard anything about that.

I just read an article about the muni course listing and it said that Ponkapog was recently renovated. Is that accurate? I haven’t heard anything about that.
Yes, and no...

Course 1 was severely damaged due to ruptured dam. The state sued and eventually won after years of litigation. However, they’re so inept at running the course (well, almost everything in the state) that while course 1 is open, it’s dreadful.

Truly a damn shame, what a loss of history. A classic Ross layout that’s just waiting for someone with money to buy it and fix it. If that course went private it would be NUTS how good it could be. 36 holes, land for a nice clubhouse etc.

It will never happen though.

Yes, and no...

Course 1 was severely damaged due to ruptured dam. The state sued and eventually won after years of litigation. However, they’re so inept at running the course (well, almost everything in the state) that while course 1 is open, it’s dreadful.

Truly a damn shame, what a loss of history. A classic Ross layout that’s just waiting for someone with money to buy it and fix it. If that course went private it would be NUTS how good it could be. 36 holes, land for a nice clubhouse etc.

It will never happen though.

I haven’t played there in 30 years and I remember that the bones are outstanding but the conditions were always poor. It is too bad Massachusetts can’t figure out how to do with Ponky what NY does with Bethpage. I know it is only two courses but it is so close to Boston it should be a gem.

I haven’t played there in 30 years and I remember that the bones are outstanding but the conditions were always poor. It is too bad Massachusetts can’t figure out how to do with Ponky what NY does with Bethpage. I know it is only two courses but it is so close to Boston it should be a gem.
1000%... it has insane potential. It’s a huge track of land. It’s maybe the second worst course in MA, second only to maybe Leo J, with perhaps an honorable mention to Newton Comm. Newton is barely a golf course and ironic, considering it’s history.

1000%... it has insane potential. It’s a huge track of land. It’s maybe the second worst course in MA, second only to maybe Leo J, with perhaps an honorable mention to Newton Comm. Newton is barely a golf course and ironic, considering it’s history.

I believe the Newton Comm they play now is different from the course in it’s history. The course has been changed as things have been developed around it.

I believe the Newton Comm they play now is different from the course in it’s history. The course has been changed as things have been developed around it.
Correct... it was The Commonwealth Club, a very fancy place. Had issues, either financial or legal, requiring the land to be sold off and converted to a 9 hole track. The members then departed and actually went and saved Charles River, a course that was also having financial woes. Interesting how it all works out.

The conditions on course 1 are likely significantly better than when you played them ~30 years ago. They spent a bunch of money on the holes that tended to get really wet, bringing fairways up. I played it shortly after it reopened (so maybe ~5 years ago? and a couple years back) and it's night and day compared to what it was like when it was my home course in high school.

Course #2 is an absolute dumpster fire, and not worth playing from a conditions standpoint. You can see the difference when you're on the 1st green, which is next to the... 6th tee on course 2 I think?

Correct... it was The Commonwealth Club, a very fancy place. Had issues, either financial or legal, requiring the land to be sold off and converted to a 9 hole track. The members then departed and actually went and saved Charles River, a course that was also having financial woes. Interesting how it all works out.

I played CR last week for the first time in about 20 years. Very fun track.

The conditions on course 1 are likely significantly better than when you played them ~30 years ago. They spent a bunch of money on the holes that tended to get really wet, bringing fairways up. I played it shortly after it reopened (so maybe ~5 years ago? and a couple years back) and it's night and day compared to what it was like when it was my home course in high school.

Course #2 is an absolute dumpster fire, and not worth playing from a conditions standpoint. You can see the difference when you're on the 1st green, which is next to the... 6th tee on course 2 I think?
Yes, when they first opened back up it looked like they put some effort into it. However, much to my prediction, that fell to the wayside. I played there two years ago, yikes.

46416AA4-D807-4B4D-99C4-4C8638A3250C.jpeg
First time around this track, I’ve been told ... “short, but a lot of elevation change”

8C84E4E6-37C9-4498-B60A-8D07A67C27FE.jpeg
Fantastic par three, 140 downhill with water.

Anytime. If you want to schedule a round after you move let me know. Always good to get out with other THPers.

always up for that!

going down to Oceans Edge and the cap this weekend with the wife. Weather looks great!

Back