Swing weight tolerances.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Not talking custom club makers. This one is about oem companies. What would you think swing weight tolerances would or should be. Cobra for instance shows graphite shafted KFTs are standard c9 steel shafted d2. Another company stated that a club would be d2 in an email. Clubs show up between D 3.5 and 5. When I contacted them they said that those numbers are within tolerances. They did however offer a return and to rebuild clubs with another shaft. Maybe I’m wrong but I would hope that tolerances would be tighter than that.

You may be aware, but the posted SW are only for the listed stock shaft options. I wish they would list all the likely SW's for any of their non-stock options, but that would be tedious even using a formula as opposed to actually test fitting the components.

As far as an acceptable tolerance, I'm sure most OEM's use +/- 2 SW points. I'd rather them make the heads a little lighter and have a way to weight them (screws, port in hosel, etc.). But Hogan does the weight in hosel route and when I had them they were still off.

Is swing weight really an issue for players that are not low digits or better? I've wrestled with this as unless it's a major difference then it's somewhat unnoticeable to a higher handicap channel.

Totally agree with original post, quality control and doing what you say on the tin keeps customers coming back.

quality is really poor. I've ordered stock shaft on irons that were to come in at D1 and they showed up as C9 mosltly; oh but the 5i was like C7(n)

I have yet to see one with more sw the posted

I had a custom set of Wilson Staff C300 Forged a few years ago ordered at D2 through the set. They were between C7 and D2. Easily fixed with tape as they weren’t too heavy (some were obvs too light but adding weight is easy) but still, the QC at Wilson can’t be great 🤷🏻‍♂️? I’m not sensitive to it as long as it’s ball park. Off a 5 handicap I think I have decent feel (??) and it takes a club to be 3 points out for me to notice. No way am I picking up on 1 or 2 SW points. I watched a video with Catriona Matthew recently where she mentioned she’d tell immediately if an iron was 0.5 SW points out. Interesting...

A couple years ago my buddy bought a set of Wilson Staff irons w/graphite shafts. He gained at least a club in distance, and his accuracy improved immensely. One day we're playing and he's not hitting his irons very well. Ilook in his bag, and see he has the old Callaways in there! I asked why, and he said they were too light and couldn't feel the clubheads. I asked what difference that made since he hit them better than his old Callaways anyway! I beat him that day, and the next time we played I noticed that the Wilsons were back in his bag.

Is swing weight really an issue for players that are not low digits or better? I've wrestled with this as unless it's a major difference then it's somewhat unnoticeable to a higher handicap channel.

Totally agree with original post, quality control and doing what you say on the tin keeps customers coming back.
Swing weight can certainly throw tempo off for anyone. But I think total weight is an even bigger issue.
But you can’t always categorize need for, or sensitivity to feel, weights or forgiveness by “handicaps”. I’m not a low capper. But I strike my irons and driver very well. I play too aggressively and get myself in trouble often, that’s exacerbated by the fact that my wedge game is under construction after my return to the game and my putting is absolutely atrocious. I’m sure there are a lot of reasons for higher caps other than lacking feel or having an inconsistent swing.

How much difference can you feel vs. see on the scale?

With a MOI matched set of irons the irons are matched to your favourite iron in the set based on a formular including head weight, shaft length and swingweight through the set. When I had mine MOI matched (to my 4-iron) the swings weight increased by half a swing weight for each iron to the PW.
All the club's swing exactly the same in a MOI matched set. This is not the case with a set with the same swing weight. It stands to reason to match the set to your favourite club (given you have a favourite club).

Not talking custom club makers. This one is about oem companies. What would you think swing weight tolerances would or should be. Cobra for instance shows graphite shafted KFTs are standard c9 steel shafted d2. Another company stated that a club would be d2 in an email. Clubs show up between D 3.5 and 5. When I contacted them they said that those numbers are within tolerances. They did however offer a return and to rebuild clubs with another shaft. Maybe I’m wrong but I would hope that tolerances would be tighter than that.
I don’t know that I’m picky but if I order D4 I expect D4.

Back