What's Your Grind?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Doing some research on wedge grinds and soles and was wondering what grinds you are playing and why?

With the SM8's I have the F grind in the 49* and 54* and an S grind in the 58*. These were from my fitting through Titleist Thursdays at the UT Golf Club for the 2020 Titleist Vokey Experience. I would highly recommend anyone looking at wedges to take advantage of the Titleist Thursdays if you can. There are so many grinds it can almost be overload so being able to do a blind fitting and actually see what bounce and grind works best for you is awesome. I've been really happy with my wedges.

They're all a little 'ish' and vary based on setup, but towards F in the gap, S in SW, and C in LW. The C can be more towards the SW sometimes and LW more M, but I've been playing the F, S, C a lot lately.

I like the Callaway S and C grinds, but super pumped on the W grind.

My Ping Glides are as common as other brands around here. I play a 54 wide sole and a 58 standard sole as a result of about 90 minutes of testing at a Demo Day a few years ago. I tried offerings from Calloway, Cleveland, Ping, and Titleist- as many as I could - and I found I could execute all the various shots better with these options compared to all the others I hit.

I'm glad you posted this. It reminded me why I chose the standard sole for the 58 and why I shouldn't use it out of thick rough.

Doing the Versatile in my 52° and 56° Snakebites for more bounce in sand and rough. Went with the Widelow in my 60° Snakebite for Phlopping. 😎

I'm a sweeper usually playing on hard green surfaces.m when I get to a course that's softer it's usually no Bueno

56 JAWS MD5 is 10 deg S grind because I do a lot of full swings with it and I tend to chip with it off tighter lies.

60 JAWS MD5 is 8 deg LB W grind for sand and heavy rough/short stop/flop shots. Gives me the sole that cuts through heavy grass and I canopen it up, expose the bounce and leverage it for short shots around the green.

56 JAWS MD5 is 10 deg S grind because I do a lot of full swings with it and I tend to chip with it off tighter lies.

60 JAWS MD5 is 8 deg LB W grind for sand and heavy rough/short stop/flop shots. Gives me the sole that cuts through heavy grass and I canopen it up, expose the bounce and leverage it for short shots around the green.

Medium

Because everything I try to research grinds I get confused and frustrated and go back to the best for "all conditions"

Except for pm grind magic out of bunkers

I like a flatish grind with more bounce for higher lofts.

Been doing the same research and just bought this 10 minutes ago. Never had a high (14) bounce SW and wanted to add one to the arsenal.

Vokey SM8 56.14F, which Titleist says is the most played SW on Tour.

B673B553-7CDC-4F8A-8CEB-CE09177255C3.jpeg

F grind in my 52 and 56, I only use those for full shots and feel like the F grind gives me the turf interaction I am seeking. K grind in my 60. The wide sole, bounce, and heel relief allows for forgiveness and the ability to use in almost any condition. Additionally since I use this out of bunkers the fact it is higher bounce is nice

I have a 58 degree C-grind that I primarily use for laying open and popping the ball up high and over obstacles
I have a 54 degree non-special grind with 14 degrees of bounce for blasting balls out of the bunker. It is generally useless from any tight lies and only sometimes useful in thicker rough.

SM7 - higher bounce F (52.12F) and a S (58.10S). I might change up the setup and add another club in here but really liking the F and S grinds. I messed around with M, D, and even K grinds. But I'm finding my current set up to be way more consistent. Especially the S grind for bunker shots.

It'd would probably be just mid bounce stock in Clevelands and S grinds with Callaways.

just put some Hi-Toe's in so not sure ....

but the past year it was 50 10*F , 54 12* D , 58 8* M. For me I noticed having a higher bounce sand wedge and lower bounce lob wedge gives me enough versatility to play any course

right now i have x grind in my callaway jaws md5 56 and 60. i was fit for this grind by my fitter at ecpc in the 2019 grandaddy. i would say the grind served me well in what i was trying to do with my short game at the time, but my instructor has changed my technique and i'm starting to wonder if i should go with something different. maybe more of a mid width sole, versatile grind in the 56 (like an s grind) and a specialty grind in the 60 (like a t grind). i want to keep working with my instructor to improve on the movement and technique, then go for a wedge fitting later this year.

50.8F, 54.10S & 56.10S
Over 10° and I haven't really got along.

I'm gaming the low and high bounce W grinds in the MD5. The low bounce W in the 58 is a magic stick. I'm hoping the magic lasts, but it's proficient!

I'm gaming the MD5 S grind on my 54˚. Most shots I hit with this wedge are square unless I'm in a sand trap, so this works pretty well for me and is low enough bounce that I can still play it off of tighter lies.

In my MD5 60˚ I'm playing an X grind. This was recommended to me by RFC at the '17 Grandaddy as the closest grind available at the time to the OG PM Grind. It's worked pretty well, but after talking to my fitter, I'm thinking about going with something a little lower bounce in the LW spot. Currently mulling over a C grind or maybe even a versatile grind in a Cobra wedge. Also waiting to hear more on the full face Jaws wedges.

I'm gaming the low and high bounce W grinds in the MD5. The low bounce W in the 58 is a magic stick. I'm hoping the magic lasts, but it's proficient!

How is opening that up? I play a lot of shots with my lob wedge open, even from the fairway.

I'm gaming the MD5 S grind on my 54˚. Most shots I hit with this wedge are square unless I'm in a sand trap, so this works pretty well for me and is low enough bounce that I can still play it off of tighter lies.

In my MD5 60˚ I'm playing an X grind. This was recommended to me by RFC at the '17 Grandaddy as the closest grind available at the time to the OG PM Grind. It's worked pretty well, but after talking to my fitter, I'm thinking about going with something a little lower bounce in the LW spot. Currently mulling over a C grind or maybe even a versatile grind in a Cobra wedge. Also waiting to hear more on the full face Jaws wedges.

How is opening that up? I play a lot of shots with my lob wedge open, even from the fairway.
I've had zero issue opening the face up. I'm not hitting Phil the Thril flop shots with it, but I open it up to play higher quick stop shots and have had no issue. As a matter of fact, I play the bounce easier with it than I did with my PM grind and that's saying a lot.

K Grind on all my SM8 wedges. Just kinda felt comfortable with that grind, but I'm sure I should probably get fit.

I like a mid bounce C grind type grind. I am interested in finding something like the edel T grind. The idea of a blunted leading edge sounds cool..

I like the Callaway S and C grinds, but super pumped on the W grind.
I have 3 Callaway wedges as well now. 52 W, 56 X, and 60 Low bounce W
I have the W wedge because for the most part my course has soft conditions and I have a somewhat steep swing. X for the same reason. Allows me to open in sand but stays good when square for soft conditions. Low bounce W, I'm trying out. I want to be able to open up but still not dig when square. Haven't tried that much yet, in testing mode.

Last edited:
I am in stock stuff. I have a Cleveland CBX Full Face 58* which has their C grind and 10* of bounce. My 52* is a Mack Daddy 4 with the S Grind bent to 53*.

Back