Tiger Woods says "Thanks, but No Thanks" to NBC

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
NBC offered Tiger an opportunity to help broadcast the U.S. Open & he politely said "Thanks but no thanks" to their offer. Who better to analyze & broadcast at Torrey Pines than Tiger? He's got way too much going on to worry about that IMO. Plus why put the strain on his recovery by flying to Cali when he can stay home & watch it on TV if he so chooses.

Thoughts?

Thoughts... he can do whatever he damn well likes 🤷🏻‍♂️. Doubt NBC can afford him.

I think for most people, perhaps professional athletes even more, the mental aspect of a physical recovery is the hardest part. His injury is also from a traumatic car crash. I can't imagine that he would be ready to work as a broadcast analyst right now. How many times would they ask him about his wreck and recovery? Nothing about NBC's request makes sense right now. In the future, he would interesting, although he isn't a very colorful speaker.

I understand why they would ask him.. But, I honestly do not think Tiger would be very good at broadcasting. In fact I think he would be terrible. It is incredibly boring and monotone in interviews.. How many times can he say "its really tough".

I think he knows that as well and really does not want the criticism. Smart move I think.

Well last time he was on tv, everyone talked about how terrible he looked and then he got in that car wreck!

I am a huge Tiger fan, but don't think he would provide much value to a broadcast.

He certainly isn't the most personable guy on tour

Tiger was in a car crash and everyone over analyzed his interview the previous day to say he was a drug addict. Not saying he was or wasn't under any influence on either occasion but why would he open himself up to that scrutiny voluntarily?

I'm more than OK with him saying no. He's not been great the few times we've seen him in the booth while golf action was going on. Plus, there's always the fact that it's Tiger Woods in the booth, how much attention goes to him and not to the stellar golf that is being played. I"m a huge TW fan, but yes, right move IMO.

I'm more than OK with him saying no. He's not been great the few times we've seen him in the booth while golf action was going on. Plus, there's always the fact that it's Tiger Woods in the booth, how much attention goes to him and not to the stellar golf that is being played. I"m a huge TW fan, but yes, right move IMO.

That is another aspect I had forgotten to consider.. Tiger is Tiger and they will want him to weigh in on everything. It will become the Tiger show and he will not even be playing.

The differences between Tiger and Phil in the booth, for the small glimpses we have seen is astounding.

The differences between Tiger and Phil in the booth, for the small glimpses we have seen is astounding.

it is, and while I don't necessarily enjoy how Phil has a take on everything, if they were to retire today, Phil would 100% be better at that position.

Now give me a pay-per-view live stream of Tiger and Rickie chilling in his crib in Florida while watching the us open all day everyday.

Good Points here (y)

if phil doesn't make the cut, i hope he does, i would like to see them talk him into doing some time. he is very good...reminds me of romo.

I never understand why (I do actually), NBC (or insert broadcaster, newspaper, etc, here) finds the need to say we offered but they declined. Seems to me that they are just answering questions that have not been asked by doing so.

Now that said, and with Tiger's background at Torrey, I would have asked for (and hopefully gotten) an interview maybe 15 minutes or 30, divided out over the 4 broadcast days, and get his take on certain holes, nuances, opinions heck anything he wanted to discuss - related to the US Open at Torrey, at his house (or in his comfort zone), making the discussion more than must monotone.

But that scenario would like they were simply working him into the telecast - and not what I am trying to suggest - which others have said, that he has insight which possibly no one else has and that people are just interested in how he's doing.

No win situation

Leave Tiger Alone!!

(said in the whiny voice of 'Leave Brittany Alone")

Why give away his insights to everyone when he can keep that to himself when he comes back to play late 2022? Phil just won a major at 50.....

I can think of several reasons for him to decline, some of which have already been mentioned here. I'm not saying he believes any of them:
  • I don't need the money.
  • It's not good for me - or the Tour - to be critiquing players I will be competing with in the future.
  • I'm not good enough as a commentator to be on air for that long and add value. If anything, it will hurt my brand.
  • It can only delay my recovery.
  • My presence will draw too much attention from the event itself.
  • I don't want to answer some of the questions that will inevitably come up as they fill airtime.

the media would make it a bigger story than the tournament and distract from other players.

i think this is the only take i can get behind. other than that, i think it would be awesome and would significantly boost ratings. tiger’s insight would be fantastic.

would make it a bigger story than the tournament and distract from other players

This is my thought every time this comes up. And he has to know that.

Plus why put the strain on his recovery ...
If he plans to compete again this is a big one. I never appreciated how much work it took to come back from serious injury until I had my recent knee surgery--which was exceedingly minor compared to the injuries I imagine Tiger suffered in his crash. I haven't seen a detailed description of what injuries he suffered, but I shudder to think of how much time and effort he's going to have to put into recovering from it. That's going to take some serious dedication and willpower.

He’s like th
I understand why they would ask him.. But, I honestly do not think Tiger would be very good at broadcasting. In fact I think he would be terrible. It is incredibly boring and monotone in interviews.. How many times can he say "its really tough".

I think he knows that as well and really does not want the criticism. Smart move I think.
He’s like that now but I think he’ll change over the next several years. His persona is more relaxed than it ever has been and I predict he’ll be a different person when he’s no longer competitive. Look what happened with Nick Faldo. I think Tiger could be a superb broadcaster in the future. Though I very very much doubt he’ll ever be interested.

Back