Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Just put the Mavrik SZ in my bag, which replaced my Epic Flash. I figure in about a year, the Epic Speed will become affordable, so I'll wait until then to upgrade.

Sure it was mentioned, but how are guys (those who’ve tried both) finding the launch/forgiveness/spin between the Speed and the LS? I have a Cally credit and thinking of trying a speed.

Sure it was mentioned, but how are guys (those who’ve tried both) finding the launch/forgiveness/spin between the Speed and the LS? I have a Cally credit and thinking of trying a speed.
Speed launches a little higher for me, LS flight noticeably flatter, LS seems a LOT more forgiving (it's crazy to me how much, feels like a lot more gear effect too), and they're both pretty low for me in spin, but the LS is definitely lower.

Speed launches a little higher for me, LS flight noticeably flatter, LS seems a LOT more forgiving (it's crazy to me how much, feels like a lot more gear effect too), and they're both pretty low for me in spin, but the LS is definitely lower.
Agree with this. I played 9* std speed at -1 and play the max LS at 9. The lower spin definitely helps me with run out at similar launch angles

LS it is.... lol.

Edit - Actually I'm curious what @McLovin may have to say about trying to setup the Max as an anti-left club.

Last edited:
For those who played Epic Flash and now Epic Max I’m curious if there is a noticeable difference.

Just curious - what length is everyone playing their Epic Speeds at? Stock or other?
I'm right at 45", so I think that's about 1/2" short of stock

My Epic Max LS is still continuing to be a stellar performer, very forgiving off the face although less off the heel side as far as distance but overall it’s a really great driver. I find and I’m not sure it’s also impacted a bit by a different shaft but it’s not as wild as my previous Epic Flash Subzero. In other words the dispersion is just significantly improved with the Max LS.

Recently tried Tensei CK Pro Blue in my Speed and that made me want one especially when I was able to hit a consistent slight cut with it...until I get around to adding one to the stable, I decided to give the LINQ Purple a try this past weekend in the Speed and I tried to hit cuts on all but one drive. I have preferred the draw for basically the entire time I've been playing (10ish years) but I am tired of not hitting fairways so tried something "new" -- unfortunately, I didn't really hit more fairways but I did enjoy the LINQ Purple in the Speed. There is a lot of potential there I think and I got plenty of distance which makes me less reluctant to try 65-67g shafts in my driver in the future. The tinkering saga continues...

Played the Speed for the first 9 for the first time in a while. It is nice...

7/7 for 309 avg.

Was different to look down on having not switched around as much recently. Looks more toe up than my TSi3, even at 1 flat. And MAN, that thing is quiet. lol So muted compared. Freaked me out a little on the first one, but after remembering I got into it and started going after a few. Really satisfying head. Like I've said before, I could play it everyday with very little complaint. It's just that tiny fraction not as phenomenal of a fit as my gamer. Big fan though. It's got Speed.

Last edited:
@Snickerdog ........played a 2 man scramble in the Florida first responder games ......me and my partner won the open division and had best score regardless of age bracket. 66 , 6 under par and Speed is just amazing! Really adding distance, confidence and swag to my game .

Played with a Tour player's older brother (Lebrun) and his very large teammate who could slaughter a golf ball.......but I actually hung in there on a few drives being within 10yds .

Speed has no weaknesses in my eyes .

20210615_184539.jpg20210615_184911.jpg

@Snickerdog ........played a 2 man scramble in the Florida first responder games ......me and my partner won the open division and had best score regardless of age bracket. 66 , 6 under par and Speed is just amazing! Really adding distance, confidence and swag to my game .

Played with a Tour player's older brother (Lebrun) and his very large teammate who could slaughter a golf ball.......but I actually hung in there on a few drives being within 10yds .

Speed has no weaknesses in my eyes .

View attachment 9013121View attachment 9013122
First Congrats on an awesome win!!!!!!!
You are correct sir, the Speed has no faults, plenty of forgiveness, plenty of distance and it looks great!!! Glad you are playing so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Hit the Speed again in my fitting this week. If I was to upgrade to this line I still think that'd be the safe choice, but it's really close to my Mavrik numbers wise. I couldn't get the Max LS going hitting it indoors and ultimately went another direction. That said though, I still find that the most intriguing in this lineup for me. I wish there was somewhere I could do green grass demos for a few rounds around here.

Really hard to want to leave the Speed home after yesterday's performance, .. so won't. 2 drivers it is again!! :p

Excluding a few bad swings I had another great day with my Epic Speed driver. I'm really seeing good distances and a great ball flight with it

Our golf club is not exclusive to any brand, but the amount of Epic Speed drivers I see out there is pretty astounding

Sticking with the 2 drivers right now continues to pay off. Playing the speed as the carry one, and it's been bomb-y. Lots of par 5's in 2 the last week or so. LOTS. I like it.

Played the MAX LS today and while it is more accurate, I'm missing the crunch of the std and the distance when struck well. I will have to try it again to confirm that the max is in fact better for me.
or I just keep both.. :p

Our golf club is not exclusive to any brand, but the amount of Epic Speed drivers I see out there is pretty astounding
Had the Epic Speed, liked it but had the ponders so got the Ping G425 Max. Ok, but did not like the sound so tried Epic Max. Did not find it any more forgiving so just circled all the way back to Epic Speed.

Seems the Epic Speed TripD temporarily popped up on the Cally Website this week. Wonder why only temporarily….?
Would love to buy one direct from Cally and hoping they do this again.

Jeeeeeez I have found my groove with the Epic Max.
I’ve really honed in on my swing the last couple rounds, and it’s paying off. Just beautiful high baby draws.
I did try the Ventus black in it again, but confirmed that it is not the shaft for me. So back to the RDX smoke black. Most of my drives today were in the 265-275 range, had one at 280, one at 294. And then a big one for the longest of the year now at 307!

DA2AB6F8-8C9E-4B26-B915-D3BC2C512E77.jpeg

The last two major winners had this line of driver in their bag, might be worth a 2nd look...

Back