JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We get a lot of requests for information specific to the combo set fitting. Whether that be splitting the set once or going with something like the Callaway Apex Triple Combo.

We sat down with Michael Vrska, Director of Fitting for Callaway Golf and Brad Syslo, Lead Professor of Club Champion University, to have them discuss how it is done and who it might benefit.

After watching the two of them discuss combo set fitting, what type of information would you want your fitter to know heading into it? Are there certain aspects to your set and the golf you play that fit the combo set nicely?

For more information on the Callaway Apex line of irons, check out their website here. Want to give Club Champion a try? Find out if they have a location near you and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d want to make sure the fitter and myself were on the same page on what I was hoping to accomplish with the fitting, as well as my typical misses, struggles, brand biases, preference in looks, sound, and types of courses and conditions I typically play.

We get a lot of requests for information specific to the combo set fitting. Whether that be splitting the set once or going with something like the Callaway Apex Triple Combo.

We sat down with Michael Vrska, Director of Fitting for Callaway Golf and Brad Syslo, Lead Professor of Club Champion University, to have them discuss how it is done and who it might benefit.

After watching the two of them discuss combo set fitting, what type of information would you want your fitter to know heading into it? Are there certain aspects to your set and the golf you play that fit the combo set nicely?

Continue reading...

Hey, we know that guy! Great video and a great sitdown with Callaway!

I haven't watched the video yet but one of my concerns on combo set fitting is the fact that usually you fit with only a 6 or 7 iron and don't get to hit the the different heads that would be part of the combo set.

• Admin
I haven't watched the video yet but one of my concerns on combo set fitting is the fact that usually you fit with only a 6 or 7 iron and don't get to hit the the different heads that would be part of the combo set.

This is definitely discussed in the video.

how do i join the alba tross club? how much is it to join

• Admin
Cool video! I was just at @Club Champion checking out some irons. The Apex21 was hands down amazing for me. I really went just to see how my set was and i ended up with new KBS shafts but my next set will be the Apex!

Vosh has a video of how he assembles his mixed set bag. It’s not detailed, but still. Has anyone seen it?

I dont know mcuh about this and i didnt even read the whole intro, but Bryson, and Hardy, and another player have more than one type of iron. For example Bryson had speedzone and king tour, speedzone being the longer irons. Hardy has mbs and some type of other titliest in there too, oh here it is, he has mb and cb.

Why do they do this?

Fine.... JB, Ill watch the video.

i HAD to do this cause I lost a 52 degree, I replaced it with a blade pitching wedge from 2007. Meaning, the yardage are spaced out correctly but its an adjustment

This is great information in the video. I am all in for whatever will lower my scores. There are definite advantages to a mixed set.

I'm not anti combo-set and I basically play one currently with hybrids in the 3i and 4i spots. But I can't help but feel that triple combos are 90% about a consumers want to have it all, and 10% about actual beneficial performance. Nothing wrong with that of course.

If you fit into the Apex Pro 9 iron really well, it's hard to me to imagine how you then fit best into an Apex 21 7i and a DCB 5i. Just seems like so many variables when a fitting should be more about eliminating variables. Maybe one day I'll give it a true shot and prove myself wrong...we'll see.

I'm not anti combo-set and I basically play one currently with hybrids in the 3i and 4i spots. But I can't help but feel that triple combos are 90% about a consumers want to have it all, and 10% about actual beneficial performance. Nothing wrong with that of course.

If you fit into the Apex Pro 9 iron really well, it's hard to me to imagine how you then fit best into an Apex 21 7i and a DCB 5i. Just seems like so many variables when a fitting should be more about eliminating variables. Maybe one day I'll give it a true shot and prove myself wrong...we'll see.

I think that is partly true. I also think @vgolfman mentioned that in the "most golfers fit a single set" line of thinking. I do think you (golfers) are pretty much playing a triple combo now, just shortened/lengthened though, right? More forgiveness long, regular irons middle and then blade wedges scoring, right? Golfers for the most part, could continue their set into higher lofts with set AW, SW, etc.

Was finally able to sit down and stop running around like a lunatic long enough to give this one a go. This is some good stuff, and I got one love that the combo set is becoming more normalized, it just makes sense to mesh a set with your specific needs rather than just trying to mesh yourself to one particular setup.

I am using the Apex Mixed combo set this year that breaks at the 7 iron from Pro's to std. Apex. TBH the std. Apex have been performing better on the course than the 8-PW. Like most golfers I feel that the misses with the short clubs are my fault and not the clubs but I cannot help but wonder if a full set of std. Apex would perform better for me. The DCB 4 iron has the same Modus 120 shaft as the rest of my set but it is not part of the combo. It has a longer standard length that I considered cutting off but it performs so good I decided to leave it alone. I am not sure if I will go with a combo set next time around. The vastly different styling of the Pro's vs Std. looks out of place sitting in my bag but when I am on the course it is a non issue.

When I was getting fitted last month I was asking about combos and was told 'yes they do them, but not commonly' which was a bit disappointing.

I submitted an idea to callaway and to an engineer. They said they couldnt process it, or that it was an outside idea they could not accept in any of their branches. i already made a thread on this, if the club was adjustable, then you could buy 1 set of clubs, then change them before your round, not during your round.

Its not revolutionary, but something that could happen in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to sit down and watch this - some interesting pieces for sure. I'm still torn on the whole 6 iron vs 7 iron for fittings. I can see both sides there.

I play a combo set. ZX7 (P-8) and ZX5 (7-5). I split there based on a simple question, when do you stop caring about proximity, and only care about hitting the green?

For me it’s about the qualitative factors, for after not playing golf for 3 weeks, standing 170 metres out, the ZX5 just gives me more confidence, even though my fitting (with a 7 iron) put me in the ZX7 category for all brands.

Then the 180-185 metre question came up. And I just refused to accept that a 7 iron based fitting can tell me the 4 iron answer. I was proved correct when the Srixon rep had demos in the ZX5 ZX4 ZX utility 23’ and ZX Hybrid 22’ at a demonday. The answer was clear. All the irons I only got 5 metres or so gapping on my 5 iron, with the hybrid giving me the 10-15 metres I desired.

I wondered why is it acceptable to go significantly lower weight shaft when getting a hybrid, but not when getting fit for a 4 irons (swing weight assumed to be alligned). Most amateurs struggle keeping the swing speed up entering the longer irons, hence the gapping issues. Lighter irons as you progress (AMT???) might be less niche than actual combo heads.

All in all, I am sorry, a 7 / 6 iron one iron fitting just does not make sense to me. As consumers, we have to demand more.

Back