Embarrassed (by your golf) on the golf course?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
It’s only a game and hopefully the vast majority of us THP’ers play with golfers that don’t judge us (and understand how fickle this game is!) But have you ever been genuinely embarrassed by your performance on the golf course? What was the situation?

I've been far, far more embarrassed by how I reacted to a poor performance. Almost nobody cares if you suck at golf.
Yes that’s a good point, I’d say the same for me too! 😔

That was more of a youthful response for me. Now, I'm of the mind that if you don't get how things can go bad for anyone out there, I don't care about your opinion/judgement enough to feel embarrassed.

I'll probably remember how I felt the first year I tried out for the golf team until the day I die though. Lol First group and I barely kept my THIRD tee shot in play, in front of everyone. Took a 10 on the opening par 5. Coach made a point to bring it up in front of everyone (just in case they forgot) at the end too, after I had successfully moved on from the initial embarrassment. :LOL:

I've been upset with myself many times with how poorly I think I might have played, but I don't have a crowd or cameras following me on the course so I don't think embarrassed is the definition I would use.

Take today as an example: I played with with the same three guys yesterday. Today I shot 87 and struggled the entire time doing it. Yesterday I shot 74. Embarrassment never once crossed my mind. Frustration? Oh yeah.

I've been embarrassed by some of my actions on the course, but never by my game.

My usual playing partners know what to expect from me, and I don’t usually get too embarrassed since they’re around the same level as me. I do play with some buddies who are much better a couple of times a year. When I have a bad round with them it is quite embarrassing…especially when they know I’ve been taking lessons.

Embarrassed - no. Frustrated - for sure.

Anyone can have an off day. Golf is hard!

Hell yeah I get embarrassed! Especially on the first tee with a crowd watching. Or when a group lets you play through because you're the "better" players and you roll one. It's gotten a little easier through the years, but like right now I'm trying out a new swing, and I hit my first tee shot off the heel into some bushes ten yards away. Not a lot of fun.

I figure dealing with the embarrassment helps me in the rest of my life. Like putting golf into perspective. It really is just a game. There are all kinds of real problems out there. Why should I be getting embarrassed by a bad shot?

Maybe a zen approach to the game helps too. Or as Bill Murray would put it:

Nobody cares if you suck as long as you do so as quickly as possible because no one enjoys slow play.

Personally, I don’t get embarrassed but I do get frustrated when I’m not playing to the level I’m capable of.

Worst was probably last year playing a scramble. I just had nothing at all working that day. I honestly looked like I had never picked up a club

Never really been embarrassed, I know anybody I'm playing with isn't good enough to make a living playing golf, just like me! 😎

It’s only a game and hopefully the vast majority of us THP’ers play with golfers that don’t judge us (and understand how fickle this game is!) But have you ever been genuinely embarrassed by your performance on the golf course? What was the situation?
Don't think I am really embarrassed at anything in the golf game, although sometimes it can get frustrating when you have to fight through on some blow up holes. I remember some time back I hit two balls in the water on a Par 5 hole. To me that stunk as I wound up with an 11 on it. I don't think anyone else cared, but I did.

Don't really get embarrassed as I know my game and all of it's inconsistencies and pretty much know what to expect. I do get frustrated with missing the simpler shots and shake my head a lot at shot. :ROFLMAO:

Not embarrassed, but I feel like I am, on average, playing 5 strokes worse than I should. Mostly missed putts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at first, i was...now?

Was in a THP event with Callaway using a Taylormade driver. Blocked my opening t-shirt OB. Worst feeling ever.

I've been far, far more embarrassed by how I reacted to a poor performance. Almost nobody cares if you suck at golf.

So much truth in this. Most of my most embarrassing moments are how I reacted to my own performance

This right here. I played today and shot an 89 on a course that (I thought) I should have been threatening to break 80 on. I lost my cool a couple times and felt like a jack@$$ more due to that reaction than my poor play 🤦‍♂️

Today was pretty bad, but other than a couple "what are you doing?" mutters, I maintained a positive attitude and continued to joke and be a good "team player" for the rest of my group even though I hit some really awful, embarrassing shots. Though I was not happy with my game or myself, it's just golf. There will be another day.

Last edited:
absolutely i’ve been embarrassed. mostly about chipping and pitching. there are times i’ve had the shanks during a round, and that’s pretty terrible too.

Many times. From a meltdown in a high school match to bouts of the shanks to playing golf not even representative of what I expect. You never fully get over being embarrassed on the course but I'm a lot more comfortable with it now. You realize it happens to everyone that plays this game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Funny timing on this post, just 2 days ago on first tee, we had a crowd of 20 or more golfers a record for. This hole has been a nemesis to me last few rounds, so this time I decided to use my trusted 4 Iron a club I have a lot of confidence and is the right club for this particular hole. 200 yards gives me a easy 8 iron to the green.
So I set up to the ball, I honestly didn't feel that nervous my Boys all hit good drives and I have my trusted 4 iron after all.
I started my backswingand then my mind went blank, I am pretty positive I did everything wrong a series of unfortunate events has just transpired, I barley hit the ball and it traveled 20 yards. I wanted to dispear something fierce, all I could do is close my eyes and shake my head and walk up for my 2nd shot trying not to make eye contact with anyone.
I am pretty sure I was hallucinating on the 2nd shot and hit a solid shot over 200 and down the middle.
Luckily I recovered from this event by the 3rd hole and played decent round.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I don't get embarrassed by my play, I'm not really that good and my friends know it. What I do get is frustrated at myself because I know I can make the shots but I'm just so inconsistent.

Back