Official Rant of the Day

There are certain constants in life… the lane you choose will always be slowest one… food tastes better when someone else is paying for it… the ice cream machine is always broken at McDonald’s… and your child will always get sick the day before you take a trip!

Wait Wait Wait. You are the person that drives 35 in a 45 is what you told me. #LaneSquatter

Wait Wait Wait. You are the person that drives 35 in a 45 is what you told me. #LaneSquatter

Holy Memory Batman!:oops: I’m impressed. But, it’s 8 over the speed limit.

My health insurance, BCBS of NC, is trying to recoup almost $400 dollars of benefits they paid to providers after my car wreck in 2019!:mad: A wreck that wasn’t my fault!😡😡 That wreck has done nothing but be a nightmare from day 1.

My health insurance, BCBS of NC, is trying to recoup almost $400 dollars of benefits they paid to providers after my car wreck in 2019!:mad: A wreck that wasn’t my fault!😡😡 That wreck has done nothing but be a nightmare from day 1.

From you? Tell em to go braid their :poop:

The spinny thinking thingie has been stuck here for 3 min. Now I’m just waiting for windows to crash. You know, things like writing a word document should be this adventurous.
0025AFC6-F215-4ACF-82D1-2C2315A3F8F7.jpeg

This sums up exactly how I feel today.

I am SO mad. I hurt my wrist so I decided to take the week off from the gym, and instead would go outside for a walk/jog. Went out yesterday morning and did 3.5 miles, my knee felt a little funny, but I didn't think much of it. Later that day I tried to walk the course for 9 holes with JB. I couldn't make it past the 3rd hole, I was in so much pain. Couldn't sleep at all last night either. My knee is either straight or bent, but trying to go between the two is excruciatingly painful.

Now, my dilemma is, do I go to a doctor that I know is going to ask for an x-ray and MRI, and I have crap for insurance so this is going to make me need to take out a second mortgage, or do I just throw a knee brace on and hope for the best? I am strongly leaning towards the second option, but I don't want to do any kind of major damage to my knee either.

I am SO mad. I hurt my wrist so I decided to take the week off from the gym, and instead would go outside for a walk/jog. Went out yesterday morning and did 3.5 miles, my knee felt a little funny, but I didn't think much of it. Later that day I tried to walk the course for 9 holes with JB. I couldn't make it past the 3rd hole, I was in so much pain. Couldn't sleep at all last night either. My knee is either straight or bent, but trying to go between the two is excruciatingly painful.

Now, my dilemma is, do I go to a doctor that I know is going to ask for an x-ray and MRI, and I have crap for insurance so this is going to make me need to take out a second mortgage, or do I just throw a knee brace on and hope for the best? I am strongly leaning towards the second option, but I don't want to do any kind of major damage to my knee either.
Get it checked out! As someone with 3 knee injuries under their belt trust me, if you put it off and it is something serious, you can do some major damage letting it go. JMHO :)

I have very little cartilage in both knees and I know them well. I got precautionary MRI’s a while back and there’s really no cartilage left to tear on the medial side, so if something is feeling off I give it a few days. But if you’re worried, get it checked out! Knees ought not to be messed with!

I have very little cartilage in both knees and I know them well. I got precautionary MRI’s a while back and there’s really no cartilage left to tear on the medial side, so if something is feeling off I give it a few days. But if you’re worried, get it checked out! Knees ought not to be messed with!

I just did same day delivery for a knee brace on Amazon, I decided to give it some time this way first, and if it doesn't feel any better after the weekend, I will make an appointment at a doctor.

It’s my understanding that exercise, over time can improve knee joints. That said do get it checked, start with an x Ray and go from there.
If you’re seeing an ortho ask them up front about non invasive solutions to fix or delay, should you need surgery at some point. Maybe a brace will suffice for now.

i don’t jog on roads/sidewalks anymore due to the added shock to the joints maybe that’s all it is? I can say that when i jog on a treadmill 8-10 miles a week i have very few issues, same for beach jogging. Only on concrete/road etc surfaces do i feel pain. I wear either adidas ultra boost or Nike Pegasus shoes. They also help with cushioning.
Good luck!

This fitness lark is not all it is hyped up to be..... :LOL:

Joking aside, I hope the problem isn't serious, and some rest and possibly anti-inflammatory meds will help

If you are not used to running on tarmac, then it could be the higher impact than you get on a treadmill has irritated the tendons in the knee and caused them to become inflamed, so it should wear off in a few days if you take it easy
A worse case could be a tear in the meniscus, which could result in sudden sharp pains when it moves wrong, or constant pain if it is caught in the wrong place in the knee joint, but it could also sit quietly for a long period of time without any symptoms

It’s my understanding that exercise, over time can improve knee joints. That said do get it checked, start with an x Ray and go from there.
If you’re seeing an ortho ask them up front about non invasive solutions to fix or delay, should you need surgery at some point. Maybe a brace will suffice for now.

i don’t jog on roads/sidewalks anymore due to the added shock to the joints maybe that’s all it is? I can say that when i jog on a treadmill 8-10 miles a week i have very few issues, same for beach jogging. Only on concrete/road etc surfaces do i feel pain. I wear either adidas ultra boost or Nike Pegasus shoes. They also help with cushioning.
Good luck!
This fitness lark is not all it is hyped up to be..... :LOL:

Joking aside, I hope the problem isn't serious, and some rest and possibly anti-inflammatory meds will help

If you are not used to running on tarmac, then it could be the higher impact than you get on a treadmill has irritated the tendons in the knee and caused them to become inflamed, so it should wear off in a few days if you take it easy
A worse case could be a tear in the meniscus, which could result in sudden sharp pains when it moves wrong, or constant pain if it is caught in the wrong place in the knee joint, but it could also sit quietly for a long period of time without any symptoms

No kidding, all I wanted to do was get fit and healthy, but clearly a higher power thinks I should be a fat couch potato haha.

It’s been a while since I have run, but I used to run outside all the time, even competed in a few 5K’s. This getting old crap is for the birds!

It’s been a while since I have run, but I used to run outside all the time, even competed in a few 5K’s. This getting old crap is for the birds!
No kidding!!

I’d suggest longer walks and maybe biking, before running on pavement, but that’s just me. Though it was my experience on our last beach vacation. Walked, biked, jogged on sand, all good. Jogged on pavement almost immediate pain. Haven’t done it since.
Still, hope it’s just a sprain/strain and nothing more.

Get you a tube of Voltaren or generic at any drug store and use it on your knees.My Dr. uses it and recommended it to me.It is for arthritis but works great for any joint pain.I work a PT job and stand a lot and couldn't work without it.I also use it before a round of golf .I have almost no cartlage in my knees and had a torn menicus about two years ago.Course I am old (69) so that is to be expected. The Voltaren contains a NSAID and is for pain and inflammation.

I've lived in this house for over thirty years, and in all that time I have rarely seen any crows around here. This year they are everywhere, and not unusual for 10 - 12 of them to be hanging around our two acres in the morning, making enough noise to wake the dead, and bringing trash from who knows where to scatter all over the place. :angry:

Already been said but knee issues don't just go away. If Aleve doesn't help,(#notadoctor) get it checked out.

Remember the guy who made jogging a fad? Know how he died? Heart attack. While jogging. Probably found by a guy on a smoke break.

I am a former serious runner with three completed marathons. I also have had knee problems since 1980 and had surgery on my left knee in 1982 and my right knee in 1983 to correct kneecap tracking issues. I ran the marathons in 1992, 1996 and 2000. And I have degenerative articular cartilage in both knees.

I would go to a doctor. It could be something as simple as needing a brace. More than 10 years ago, I went to the ortho because if I played golf on any day, my knee would be painful for the next three or four days. I'm talking about pain that wasn't alleviated by ice or ibuprofen or naproxen. I assumed the worst. When I went to the doctor, he told me one thing and asked me one question. He told me that I had really tight hamstrings and that affected my knee and he asked if I ever wore a brace. He gave me a brace to wear. To this day, I wear a brace or knee sleeve depending on how my knee feels every time that I play golf and wear a brace every time that I run. To date, I have not been back to the ortho for a knee issue. I use ice and ibuprofen as needed.

Best of luck to you. I obviously can understand your feelings and concerns about your knee,

Remember the guy who made jogging a fad? Know how he died? Heart attack. While jogging. Probably found by a guy on a smoke break.

Yes. I recall Jim Fixx very well. The author of The Complete Book of Running. Despite the fact that he was a runner, he had serious heart disease. And as I recall, his family had a history of it at an early age. He did die of a heart attack while out for a run.

Why does a paper cut hurt so much?!?! Managed to get one right across the knuckle of my finger and it is stinging

Getting old sucks. Both my wife's parents are struggling in hospitals 90 miles apart at the same time. Very troubling and stressful. The entire extended family is pulling together but even with a bunch of us... its all we can do to keep up. My wife is going through the wringer. The kids are starting to feel it. I just want to carry them all on my shoulders...

Getting old sucks. Both my wife's parents are struggling in hospitals 90 miles apart at the same time. Very troubling and stressful. The entire extended family is pulling together but even with a bunch of us... its all we can do to keep up. My wife is going through the wringer. The kids are starting to feel it. I just want to carry them all on my shoulders...

Totally agree. Im watching my parents age and as they enter their 80s and still pretty sharp, you notice a decline that is stressful.
Stay strong.

Totally agree. Im watching my parents age and as they enter their 80s and still pretty sharp, you notice a decline that is stressful.
Stay strong.

I appreciate the kind words @JB. Means a LOT. You too.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB

I think you are doing the right thing giving it a few days, and getting a brace to tide you over. Three summers ago I tore an MCL on my dirt bike. I never actually went to ortho for for an MRI, I went to a good PT that we know in the area, and even though I was on crutches for a few weeks his opinion was that it as preferable to deal with the injury through PT and it would be apparent if surgical consult was eventually needed. I completed 8-12 weeks of PT, eventually got rid of the crutches and got my range of motion back, and the knee is close to good as new.

Running on pavement for the first time in a while probably just pissed it off for a bit. Go check in with a good PT for an assessment before dropping $$ on ortho or imaging. In my case, the PT I recall said that even though it was clear I had a torn MCL, insurance probably wouldn't authorize an MRI anyway. I forget why....

Back