The Car Shopping Thread

Haha, I know. It’s really JB’s fault for getting rid of the SUV. My new car has a 360 camera though, and that alone is worth it, it’s so badass haha. And I have my adaptive cruise control back, woohoo!!
very cool. I'm pumped for you!

Thanks! All I want to do is pull through spots now so I can turn on the 360 and see if I am past the line behind me and properly in the spot. I’m so easily amused.
Hmmmm can that thing take still images?? Soooo many possibilities! Having a party?? get a bunch of friends to around the car.... hit the 360 view and take a group photo!

Haha, I know. It’s really JB’s fault for getting rid of the SUV. My new car has a 360 camera though, and that alone is worth it, it’s so badass haha. And I have my adaptive cruise control back, woohoo!!
you dont have to be shy... post a pic of that bad boy/girl. haha :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I LOVE the 360° camera. It’s way too much fun!

you dont have to be shy... post a pic of that bad boy/girl. haha :cool::cool::cool::cool:
Caddy XT5 ? XT6? (drove an XT6 recently... i didn't even know 360 view was a "thing" !! before then)
(I'm driving a 2007 Tahoe with nearly 300k on it... doesn't even have bluetooth!!) The only time anything is in 360 view is if i'm spinning out on ice, or i whip my hear around really really fast. :LOL:

Caddy XT5 ? XT6? (drove an XT6 recently... i didn't even know 360 view was a "thing" !! before then)
(I'm driving a 2007 Tahoe with nearly 300k on it... doesn't even have bluetooth!!) The only time anything is in 360 view is if i'm spinning out on ice, or i whip my hear around really really fast. :LOL:
My Buddy has a 67' Buick LeSabre, Green with a Cream Vinyl top.
First time I saw it, I asked him if it had AC.
He said "Yes, 460 Air" I asked what is that?
He said: "Roll down the 4 windows and drive 60 MPH"

My Buddy has a 67' Buick LeSabre, Green with a Cream Vinyl top.
First time I saw it, I asked him if it had AC.
He said "Yes, 460 Air" I asked what is that?
He said: "Roll down the 4 windows and drive 60 MPH"
Love the floor vents you can open on my dad's '67 Camaro. That's the only AC I need on an evening drive!

I got a new car recently, won't fit the golf clubs though :(
f23283e40ea62cd399697385b4e1f643.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think buying a classic car that's been rotisserie restored is a better deal than a new car. A 1970 Olds 442 W-30 convertible, red with white interior and white top just sold on Mecum for $85k. Yep, that's a lot of money but there's no depreciation vs. paying $20k over MSRP and two years from losing $50k or more.

I'm starting to think buying a classic car that's been rotisserie restored is a better deal than a new car. A 1970 Olds 442 W-30 convertible, red with white interior and white top just sold on Mecum for $85k. Yep, that's a lot of money but there's no depreciation vs. paying $20k over MSRP and two years from losing $50k or more.
I would beg to differ with your view. And I am in and out of many classics restored and similar....The car will maintain it's value if it is babied and taken care of. Expecting to use a Classic as a daily driver...your depreciation will be just as much as a new car, and upkeep along the way will be more. My son is sales manager at F40 where Chasing Classic Cars is filmed. He's my reason I have never taken a hit with a Classic having had 12 in the last 10 years. But each was a weekend driver or less.

I got a new car recently, won't fit the golf clubs though :(
f23283e40ea62cd399697385b4e1f643.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
They fit nicely in the front seat....Ha

Went browsing today at a dealer that usually has well over a thousand cars. 17 available today.
Local Ford dealer had one of each model, not trim, model.
Never seen anything like it.
8ceb5c6a3883ca93dc73f095f968870d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would beg to differ with your view. And I am in and out of many classics restored and similar....The car will maintain it's value if it is babied and taken care of. Expecting to use a Classic as a daily driver...your depreciation will be just as much as a new car, and upkeep along the way will be more. My son is sales manager at F40 where Chasing Classic Cars is filmed. He's my reason I have never taken a hit with a Classic having had 12 in the last 10 years. But each was a weekend driver or less.
I think you're under the assumption I drive a lot, or say 10k+ miles per year which is a reasonable assumption. However, I probably drive about 2,500 miles per year. I may be wrong but I don't think a $90k classic will shed 50% of its value in 3 years (like most cars), even if it's driven around 5k miles/year. My thought on the restored car is the major work is completed. I'd actually prefer a driver's car that's been substantially completed so I don't have to worry as much.

Went browsing today at a dealer that usually has well over a thousand cars. 17 available today.
Local Ford dealer had one of each model, not trim, model.
Never seen anything like it.
8ceb5c6a3883ca93dc73f095f968870d.jpg

I've heard folks are buying out their leases because the buy-out is far lower in cost vs. paying all the markups on a new car. That's one reason why used car inventory has dried up.

Reactions: jkj
I've heard folks are buying out their leases because the buy-out is far lower in cost vs. paying all the markups on a new car. That's one reason why used car inventory has dried up.

My theory was to trade in both of my cars for a new suv. Based on trade offers I’d have enough to cover the new vehicle and possibly put a couple bucks in the bank. While eliminating two car payments. I can unload the current cars but I might have to wait months to see a new suv. Also some dealers here are doing market adjustments on regular vehicles. I kind of expected that when I bought my Shelby, but not on an Explorer or such. Crazy times.

It's crazy what used cars are bringing. I'm really thinking about selling my 2016 Wrangler Unlimited. I play golf with a few car guys and one said the book on Jeeps has gone up about $7,000 the last 3 months and I could probably get what I paid for it or more. Thinking about buying a Sonata from a guy who will be selling in about a month and drive that for 6 months to a year until trucks start hitting the lots. They have all said that there are tons of trucks that are finished and sitting at the factory just waiting for chips. Add on that they will have 22's out and there could be some rebates.
It is similar to how the housing market has been for the past few years, low inventory and tons of buyers. Issue is once you sell, unless you have a deal waiting for you (like in your case) you never get to enjoy the profits of selling. For me I have never bought a brand new car, so while the used car market might be tough it isn't dependent on a microchip being manufactured in order for me to get what I want. Just gotta look a little harder and travel a bit farther to get what you want.

I think you're under the assumption I drive a lot, or say 10k+ miles per year which is a reasonable assumption. However, I probably drive about 2,500 miles per year. I may be wrong but I don't think a $90k classic will shed 50% of its value in 3 years (like most cars), even if it's driven around 5k miles/year. My thought on the restored car is the major work is completed. I'd actually prefer a driver's car that's been substantially completed so I don't have to worry as much.
Given your logic you should roll to a used car a few years old. Pick up a Panamera for 45k.....It will never be worth less and the ride is unbelievable.

Last edited:
The crazy prices on the new and used vehicles on my radar has delayed me replacing my 2015 vehicle(118k miles) for another a year or two. . Instead I put new wheels, a carbon spoiler, and did a major stereo upgrade on my existing car. The stereo upgrade includes a Focal 30KX 12" subwoofer and Focal 165KX2 separates up front. It didn't change the utility of the car at all as all the amps/sub/processor was hidden away in a cubby underneath the rear cargo area that was never used other than for maybe storing some golf balls and shoes which I can still do. It sounds better than any factory or aftermarket system I've owned and it will make it easy for me to drive the car for another couple years or more. I can still fit a foursome comfortably with all their clubs and gear. :)

Attachments

• 46274F7C-FD65-4A68-AF7F-DCF1FF2309F6.jpeg
    46274F7C-FD65-4A68-AF7F-DCF1FF2309F6.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ACC77BDC-4B49-4772-99ED-F1A5C7124A17.jpeg
    ACC77BDC-4B49-4772-99ED-F1A5C7124A17.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 32
  • E5762F10-850F-43C7-ABEF-63A21610B285.jpeg
    E5762F10-850F-43C7-ABEF-63A21610B285.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2C14DAE6-4BC5-436F-804B-0816CA7C9F3F.jpeg
    2C14DAE6-4BC5-436F-804B-0816CA7C9F3F.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 30
It is similar to how the housing market has been for the past few years, low inventory and tons of buyers. Issue is once you sell, unless you have a deal waiting for you (like in your case) you never get to enjoy the profits of selling. For me I have never bought a brand new car, so while the used car market might be tough it isn't dependent on a microchip being manufactured in order for me to get what I want. Just gotta look a little harder and travel a bit farther to get what you want.
Yeah I for most vehicles I would look at CPO's so that they initial depreciation is taken by someone else but I still get a vehicle with a warranty which many times is actually longer than the initial warranty from the manufacturer. Jeeps and trucks are different though because they used car market on them is still so high. Many times it makes as much since to get a new one, especially if you catch the trucks during truck month.

Your right about this market being different though. I know a few people who have been in the business for years and they say they have never seen anything like it. Used cars on a lot may be priced higher next week just because the book value changes and goes up.

Given your logic you should roll to a used car a few years old. Pick up a Panamera for 45k.....It will never be worth less and the ride is unbelievable.
Logical, but out here Panamera's are not as popular anymore....nothing special...unlike something like a 1970 GTO Judge Convertible. But I understand your point.

Is there any validity to the idea of leasing vs. purchase because if the car is in an accident the lessee doesn't take the hit on Carfax? Seems to make sense.

Logical, but out here Panamera's are not as popular anymore....nothing special...unlike something like a 1970 GTO Judge Convertible. But I understand your point.
My son had one he was flipping and needed it delivered. I drove it. I had no visions that car was anything special. But after driving it I was in awe. And a few years old and a 140k car could be had for 50k. Personally all of my passions for older/classic go foreign. The art of the deal is all about the buy. So many really have no idea about the value of their older car.....hence I have moved in/out of about 7 Porsches...I have sold at auction a few times...Never bought. Gotta be the one and only when someone looks to sell.

Back