Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
PING is known for a lot of things, their legacy is obviously first and foremost, but in recent years they have been in a seemingly endless groove of positive feedback and success when it comes to their irons and metalwoods. Somewhere in the middle of all that, however, is the Crossover, a club that PING has continued to evolve in order to try and carve out a niche within the utility iron segment. 

Have they succeeded? Well, we at THP were able to get the new G425 Crossover in-hand to work out and attempt to answer just that. 

PING-G25-Crossover-1.jpg

Quick Take

The most visually appealing PING Crossover (utility) yet, though still one-hundred percent PING in its appearance. Easy to elevate, good ball speeds, but a feel that lands on the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, good write up.

With the crossover being a hollow bodied iron, would it be considered SGI? It's not a bad looking iron. I kind of like it. Pair the crossover with the G425 driver and fairways... a great combo for the course.

As usual, good write up.

With the crossover being a hollow bodied iron, would it be considered SGI? It's not a bad looking iron. I kind of like it. Pair the crossover with the G425 driver and fairways... a great combo for the course.

Not in my opinion. Hollow body construction and class of iron do not really go hand in hand. In the long iron/hybrid area, most would consider hybrids more forgiving due in part to the ability to manipulate weight easier through multi-material options. Similarly, taking a larger soled iron with weight low and deep could also give you as much or more forgiveness in this spot.

You were being kind when you said the feel was “sharp”. Lol..

I will just say don’t thin one on a cold day with this club.. you may never be able to use your hands again.

• Staff
You were being kind when you said the feel was “sharp”. Lol..

I will just say don’t thin one on a cold day with this club.. you may never be able to use your hands again.
Hahaha, tactful is more like it. ;)

That said I know some will be ok with the sound, but it’s definitely towards the bottom as far as feel is concerned in utilities on the market.

Last edited:
Great write up James. I've tried to hit several utilities and as much as I like the idea and aesthetics of them, my swing/game doesn't. But man, that does look good.

Good read. I haven't had much luck in the utility iron department so probably not for me, but they do look nice.

• Staff
Great write up James. I've tried to hit several utilities and as much as I like the idea and aesthetics of them, my swing/game doesn't. But man, that does look good.
It’s a good step for them, black was smart. If they can start implementing feel like in their iSeries clubs then they’ll be onto something special imo.

I really have to try hitting a crossover/utility club at some point. I’ve avoided them only because I know I can hit hybrids so I always look at those first. But crossovers usually look better/cleaner than hybrids.

I must also have a new found fondness of black clubs since I really like both this Ping and the Cobra King Tec hybrid.

Back