Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Haven't played at all in a few weeks, but this ST-X picked up right where it left off. Basically eliminates the right side of the course. Even turned a bit down and flat, a 5-10 yard fade is pretty standard,, Nothing went more right than that. The miss is a shut down pull which popped up a couple times when timing failed me. 8/10 fairways on the day, pretty huge for me.
Caught a couple out on the toe that stayed straight and carried really well.

Love hitting the X and not having to worry about it flailing out to the right unless I get nearly Bubba handsy on the end of it then that’s on me. Able to keep the deep rough at bay and I am averaging 3-4 fairways hit a round more than ever before with this head and shaft combo. It’s nice being able to step up to the tee box and not have to worry where the shot is going.

Had a number of 260-270 yard drives this weekend with stx head from Shaft up #2. But the pic shows the longest. Love it @DannyLe and @JB and @fuffle master 81FC48B5-AD83-4621-BEF8-FD379BA3B378.png

Nice work. That's what I like to see.
Thanks, found a ton of fairways yesterday or sand traps in the middle or sides of fairways. But drives were in play all day. Was really happy with the club. Great course too Oceans Edge in Brewster, MA

Nice work. That's what I like to see.

I can't find the Lin-q Blue online anywhere (just Purple and GunMetal) ... who sells Blue?

would like to try other shafts eventually but time to try the ST-X with stock Motore again

Looks like many of you are preferring the X over the Z . Is the Z the more forgiving head? Need all the help I can get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like many of you are preferring the X over the Z . Is the Z the more forgiving head? Need all the help I can get!

There is a really good video in the first post that walks through the forgiveness and which head is for which golfer including some swings and data.

When doing my fitting, @DannyLe gave me the Z head to see how the lower spin head would work for me. I did need to lower my spin numbers. The spin did decrease, but my dispersion and distance were off.

We found the X to have more forgiveness and my off-hits were better with the X head. That is why we then concentrated on the shaft. The X head produced a much more consistent strike with distance and dispersion than my off-hits on the Z head.

When doing my fitting, @DannyLe gave me the Z head to see how the lower spin head would work for me. I did need to lower my spin numbers. The spin did decrease, but my dispersion and distance were off.

We found the X to have more forgiveness and my off-hits were better with the X head. That is why we then concentrated on the shaft. The X head produced a much more consistent strike with distance and dispersion than my off-hits on the Z head.
To piggyback off this a little too, finding a ball with what you need off the tee helps tremendously. I had used high spin balls predominantly since I started playing and after getting back from Vegas the ball still wound up in the right side of the fairway or first cut although nowhere near my typical big right miss. Played 18 alternating between a high spin and lower spin ball and could visually see a big difference in both distance and ability to keep the ball in the fairway. The X with the Lin-Q Black as well as a low spin ball has allowed me to really enjoy hitting tee shots with what used to be my least favorite club before being fitted and working with Danny.

I'm using the Z with a pro V1x and the Hzrdus smoke RDX. It's a great combo. Extremely forgiving.

It's very straight for me. Either straight or like a 2 yard fade is the typical flight for me.

Hit a couple over 280 for me (total distance). I'm only like a 103-105 CHS so that's about as good as i can do.

To piggyback off this a little too, finding a ball with what you need off the tee helps tremendously. I had used high spin balls predominantly since I started playing and after getting back from Vegas the ball still wound up in the right side of the fairway or first cut although nowhere near my typical big right miss. Played 18 alternating between a high spin and lower spin ball and could visually see a big difference in both distance and ability to keep the ball in the fairway. The X with the Lin-Q Black as well as a low spin ball has allowed me to really enjoy hitting tee shots with what used to be my least favorite club before being fitted and working with Danny.

Agree with the importance of the right ball. I have found the Bridgestone Tour B RXS has worked very well over a few others I have used prior.

If only every hole could be like this one.

All starts with that good drive.

FAA75193-428C-4CC3-BB79-13F6FB763692.jpeg

had a little range session with the old man this morning.

I think he's in love with the ST-X hahaha

Tell him not to fall too in love because I assume you are bringing it back next week :D

Interesting tip on the ball. What ball do you play? I have been using the Bridgestone e-12, or the Q-star tour, or the Mizuno RB

Interesting tip on the ball. What ball do you play? I have been using the Bridgestone e-12, or the Q-star tour, or the Mizuno RB
I played quite a few recently and for my swing I’ll rank the 4 in order of how I felt they played with the ST-X:
1. Pro V1 Yellow (straightest off tee, solid all around)
2. Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide (solid all around)
3. Pro V1x Yellow (lost distance off tee with spin)
4. Mizuno RB Tour X (too much spin off driver, and irons)

just silliness with this ST-X. multiple over 315 today.

one downhill, downwind probably a bit over 350 -> gap wedge into par 5. 🤯

Still one moderately bad hook i've got to limit.

but wowza.

Nice range session with this bad boy. Really works with 0 right shots and nice distance too... Had a couple head turns today, I was getting close and landing "near" the furthest flag that was 245 out. Not on that "green" yet but consistently rolling to or past. It's huge to be able to aim at a flag like that and hit it consistently or near considering this club isn't supposed to be pin point accurate.

Playing with hovering and proximity as I stand to the ball because these are off center hits... Mostly high and towards heel, not complaining distance but believe I have a bit more in the tank if I find the center...

Here's to tomorrows battle in Columbus!

Looks like I need to dive deep into this thread based on the news I received today 😀

just silliness with this ST-X. multiple over 315 today.

one downhill, downwind probably a bit over 350 -> gap wedge into par 5. 🤯

Still one moderately bad hook i've got to limit.

but wowza.

It’s not healthy for my club-buying addiction that this thread keeps rising to the top of Latest Posts.

Back