Cheapest way to get my handicap?

I think i see how it works. My handicap came out much lower then I thought it would. I struggle to break a 100 but after entering 12 scores I came out to a 24.1 handicap on The Grint. Basically I'm a professional. :p
I am guessing here, but I would suspect that 24.1 is your handicap Index and not the course playing handicap (under the new World Handicap System), so whenever you go to play at a course, you look at the ratings for the tee you intend to play and it will give you your playing handicap for that course

For example, my index is 7.5, and at my home course, whether I play from the grey or black tees, my playing handicap is 9
But the course I played at a few weeks ago is rated differently and considered easier, so my playing handicap that day was only 7

So if you were to play my home course with an index of 24.1, from the grey tees your playing handicap would be 28, and from the black tees it wouuld be 29 (which would equate to just over 100 strokes with a par of 72

I found this online. Explains ESC. Each hole has a designated handicap 0-9, 10-19 etc you'll find on the scorecard of the course your playing. The below info explains it clearly.

Now, if your playing with your buddies and want to play pure stroke count, go for it. lol

===================================================================================

The USGA's Equitable Stroke Control is part of their Handicap System. You cannot calculate a valid USGA Index and course handicap without using Equitable Stroke Control or ESC.

"Equitable Stroke Control" (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability. ESC sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap. ESC is used only when a player's actual or most likely score exceeds the player's maximum number based on the table in Section 4-3.
This is section 4.3 noted above.
Equitable Stroke Control chart

I found this online. Explains ESC. Each hole has a designated handicap 0-9, 10-19 etc you'll find on the scorecard of the course your playing. The below info explains it clearly.

Now, if your playing with your buddies and want to play pure stroke count, go for it. lol

ESC is no longer part of the handicap system. It has been simplified to just a max of net double bogey on any hole.

If you use a system where you enter scores hole-by-hole, it should automatically adjust your score for you.

ESC is no longer part of the handicap system. It has been simplified to just a max of net double bogey on any hole.

If you use a system where you enter scores hole-by-hole, it should automatically adjust your score for you.
Thanks, I've just been going along this way. I just tally it up and use the HCP tracker to keep track for fun as I don't compete and also want to record how many times I play

===================================================================================

The USGA's Equitable Stroke Control is part of their Handicap System. You cannot calculate a valid USGA Index and course handicap without using Equitable Stroke Control or ESC.

This is section 4.3 noted above.
Equitable Stroke Control chart
As @uitar99 said above, that graphic/information was from the old handicap system prior to implementation of the WHS in 2020. It really didn't make much sense that if you were playing off a 19 course handicap, you could only take double bogey on a par 5, but a quadruple bogey on a par 3 (which is what that ESC score of 7 would give you).

It makes more sense under the new system, even if it's not quite as simple. For example, I'm currently a 14.1 handicap - my course handicap off the tees we usually play at my home club is a 9. If you look at the scorecard, the handicaps for each hole are almost always marked on them, they're ranked 1 through 18 (most difficult to least difficult). With my course handicap, I get a stroke on the holes that are handicapped 1 through 9, so on those holes the max I can card for posting purposes is a triple (double bogey + the one handicap stroke). On the rest of the holes (handicaps 10-18), the max I can card is a straight double bogey.

If you're playing off a course handicap of, say, 21, you get a stroke on every hole and two strokes on the holes handicapped 1-3 (18+3 to make your 21). So on the holes handicapped 1 through 3, you can card a quadruple bogey (double bogey plus your two handicap strokes) - on the rest of the course (hole handicaps 4 through 18) you can card triple bogey (double bogey plus your one handicap stroke).

Figuring out your course handicap manually involves math - the formula is Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating/113) + (Course Rating - par). But just about any phone app you use for handicapping purposes has a course handicap calculator built into it. You look up the course you're playing and which tees you're playing from, and it tells you what your course handicap is.

It all sounds complicated, but the application of it is actually pretty simple. To make it easy, get your course handicap and put a dot on your scorecard up in the corner of each hole where you get a stroke - if you get two strokes on certain holes, put two dots up there. Then you know on every hole how many strokes above double bogey you can take for your "net double bogey".

As a clarification, I called it "ESC" in post #8 earlier in the thread. It's actually not called ESC (Equitable Stroke Control) anymore under the WHS, but I still (admittedly wrongly) use the acronym as shorthand to refer to the "net double bogey" thing.

As a clarification, I called it "ESC" in post #8 earlier in the thread. It's actually not called ESC (Equitable Stroke Control) anymore under the WHS, but I still (admittedly wrongly) use the acronym as shorthand to refer to the "net double bogey" thing.
All the guys I play with (including me) still seem to call it ESC. The problem is, it's hard to tell which of us just use the familiar term while realizing it's now NDB and which are still applying the same ESC adjustments they have for years. I think it's probably 50/50.

Then again, quite a few people I play with just consider gross double bogey to be the biggest score they're supposed to post. Period. Even if they are a 10 or 12 handicap. Somehow "just put me down for double" got lodged in a lot of brains many years ago and refuses to budge, no doubt because writing down a 6 is less painful than the 7 you might have to write under ESC or NDB...

It doesn't help matters that TheGrint still uses the 'ESC' term in its software:

1624538349902.png

As @uitar99 said above, that graphic/information was from the old handicap system prior to implementation of the WHS in 2020. It really didn't make much sense that if you were playing off a 19 course handicap, you could only take double bogey on a par 5, but a quadruple bogey on a par 3 (which is what that ESC score of 7 would give you).

It makes more sense under the new system, even if it's not quite as simple. For example, I'm currently a 14.1 handicap - my course handicap off the tees we usually play at my home club is a 9. If you look at the scorecard, the handicaps for each hole are almost always marked on them, they're ranked 1 through 18 (most difficult to least difficult). With my course handicap, I get a stroke on the holes that are handicapped 1 through 9, so on those holes the max I can card for posting purposes is a triple (double bogey + the one handicap stroke). On the rest of the holes (handicaps 10-18), the max I can card is a straight double bogey.

If you're playing off a course handicap of, say, 21, you get a stroke on every hole and two strokes on the holes handicapped 1-3 (18+3 to make your 21). So on the holes handicapped 1 through 3, you can card a quadruple bogey (double bogey plus your two handicap strokes) - on the rest of the course (hole handicaps 4 through 18) you can card triple bogey (double bogey plus your one handicap stroke).

Figuring out your course handicap manually involves math - the formula is Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating/113) + (Course Rating - par). But just about any phone app you use for handicapping purposes has a course handicap calculator built into it. You look up the course you're playing and which tees you're playing from, and it tells you what your course handicap is.

It all sounds complicated, but the application of it is actually pretty simple. To make it easy, get your course handicap and put a dot on your scorecard up in the corner of each hole where you get a stroke - if you get two strokes on certain holes, put two dots up there. Then you know on every hole how many strokes above double bogey you can take for your "net double bogey".

I thought I understood net double bogey, but then yesterday here's my scorecard after going into The Grint and I'm confused by hole 2 where I only had to take a 7 which to me is not net double bogey? The 8 would've been net double bogey? I was understanding your explanation as basically 4 over.

You also said most apps will just give you the course handicap after you set your tee box, but I'm not actually seeing a way to do this in Arccos, or Golf Logix?

1624703308393.png

I thought I understood net double bogey, but then yesterday here's my scorecard after going into The Grint and I'm confused by hole 2 where I only had to take a 7 which to me is not net double bogey? The 8 would've been net double bogey? I was understanding your explanation as basically 4 over.

You also said most apps will just give you the course handicap after you set your tee box, but I'm not actually seeing a way to do this in Arccos, or Golf Logix?

View attachment 9014645

Way over on the right end, your course handicap is listed as 28, so you get 2 strokes on the 1 thru 10 handicap holes, and 1 on the rest. Hole 2 is handicap hole 13. So you get 1 stroke. Par is 4, so a 7 is net double bogey (7 minus 1 makes 6).

At least back when I used it, Arccos does not compute USGA handicap index or course handicap.

On the scorecard you're showing, it says your Course Handicap is 28. That means you get two strokes on holes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 and 17. Those are your two-stroke holes (Stroke Index<=10) and on all the other holes you get one stroke.

The second hole is Stroke Index 13, that's a one-stroke hole for you. So net par is 5, net double bogey is 7.

So it looks to me even though the app is saying "Equitable Stroke Control" they are actually using Net Double Bogey. If it were the old ESC, with your course handicap over 20 it would be applying the old ESC limit of 8 on that hole.

P.S. I've got to say 71.7/134 is a really, really tough course for a 20+ handicapper. Not a criticism, I'm just thinking dang that's a tough course!

That means you get two strokes on holes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 and 17. Those are your two-stroke holes (Stroke Index<=10) and on all the other holes you get one stroke.
I want to note that the above is incorrect. You always apply stokes from handicap hole 1 to 18 in order. Never skip any holes.

Edited to add:
I am bad at reading. The holes listed were handicap 1-10. So it was correct!

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
WOW... My head hurts :banghead:

I think where i'm getting confused on what it means to "get 2 strokes" so on holes that are handicapped 1-10 i basically can take a 4 over? and holes 11-18 I can take a 3 over? That just seems so opposite to me, the harder holes are the ones I can take a bigger score on?

So, took a look at my phone app-I assume it has the new info...it tells me for my handicap (does it use my hcp at the time of posting) that for the course selected, a hole stroke index from 1-4 the max score is +4 and for all others, +3 . That begs the question: how do I know what the stroke index is by hole. Card doesn't show it

I want to note that the above is incorrect. You always apply stokes from handicap hole 1 to 18 in order. Never skip any holes.
The holes he listed were the 1-10 handicap holes (noted as "Index" on the scorecard). Index #1,3,5,7 and 9 on the front, and 2,4,6,8,10 on the back.

I think where i'm getting confused on what it means to "get 2 strokes" so on holes that are handicapped 1-10 i basically can take a 4 over? and holes 11-18 I can take a 3 over? That just seems so opposite to me, the harder holes are the ones I can take a bigger score on?
Yes, because the harder holes are where you'd be more likely to score higher.

So, took a look at my phone app-I assume it has the new info...it tells me for my handicap (does it use my hcp at the time of posting) that for the course selected, a hole stroke index from 1-4 the max score is +4 and for all others, +3 . That begs the question: how do I know what the stroke index is by hole. Card doesn't show it
If the scorecard doesn't show an Index/Handicap for the holes, you're screwed - at that point it would be a guessing game where the strokes apply. But if a course has a USGA rating, they should have that info on the scorecard.

The holes he listed were the 1-10 handicap holes (noted as "Index" on the scorecard). Index #1,3,5,7 and 9 on the front, and 2,4,6,8,10 on the back.

Reading comprehension with one cup of joe was low this morning.

Saw this on twitter today:

Yup, I use Arccos on the course and post my scores in Grint after the round. To my knowledge it lets you post retroactive scores as well.

are these sensors durable? i just kinda throw my clubs back in the bag after swinging...do i gotta baby them in now?

are these sensors durable? i just kinda throw my clubs back in the bag after swinging...do i gotta baby them in now?
I babied them for one round and then completely forgot about them. No issues here!

Back