What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I have been a little disappointed with the greenside spin I've been seeing lately. I haven't chosen a ball for the season yet so I think I'm going to pick up some CSX to try out.
Did you end up getting these out on the course?

Played the Chrome Soft last round and honestly forgot how much I like this ball. Soft at impact, really good distance and hitting it nice and high.

Played the Chrome Soft last round and honestly forgot how much I like this ball. Soft at impact, really good distance and hitting it nice and high.

Have you done a side by side comparison with the CSX on the GCQuad? Are you seeing a 200-300 increase in spin between the 2 with the CS?

Have you done a side by side comparison with the CSX on the GCQuad? Are you seeing a 200-300 increase in spin between the 2 with the CS?

Closer to 500 for me, in irons and full swings. With driver its closer to 400.
We will have a full video coming up comparing various models as it relates to spin and speed.

I played exclusively with the CSX this last week while in Arkansas and I can tell on the longer clubs especially, there is more spin. I don't have numbers to support, but I could tell by flight path. I hit it well. I have a couple more dozen of the CSX to go through and I will be switching to the CSX-LS that I have.

Closer to 500 for me, in irons and full swings. With driver its closer to 400.
We will have a full video coming up comparing various models as it relates to spin and speed.
That's awesome!

I love the soft feel and performance of the Chrome Soft as well. I have friends with faster and slower swings than me that swear by the CSX but I keep on using the CSTT with great results. @JB can you elaborate on why the Chrome Soft has a straighter flight and if the forgivness it offers compared to the CSX would be noticable by most golfers? Looking forward to the video coming soon.

I love the soft feel and performance of the Chrome Soft as well. I have friends with faster and slower swings than me that swear by the CSX but I keep on using the CSTT with great results. @JB can you elaborate on how the Chrome Soft has a straighter flight and if the forgivness it offers compared to the CSX would be noticable by most golfers? Looking forward to the video coming soon.

Straighter flight comes from less spin. Therefore less curvature of the ball. It won't keep a ball on the planet that you pull or push, but less spin overall on full swings as it still spins plenty around the green on partial shots.

Forgiveness in golf balls in my opinion is vastly overlooked. When you compress a golf ball, good things can happen (dependent on swing plane). Missing the sweet spot of the golf club, can reduce the amount of energy transfer to the ball, thus making a firmer golf ball harder to compress. This can lead to a deduction of speed. A softer golf ball is easier to compress, therefore making it a bit more forgiving.

A firmer golf ball, generally speaking will have more speed and the CSX is one of the fastest golf balls out there. However it is important to note that speed does not mean distance, solely. Distance is a combination of speed, spin and launch angle (generally speaking). So it is important to find the ball that gives each golfer the best odds of attacking those three things together.

We have a good video up on THP TV with @Canadan showing what happens in irons when you have a very firm ball vs a soft ball and how it is not solely designed around swing speed that gives distance. In this instance, the softer golf ball gave him more distance than the firmer one on each of his irons (and the same with driver) due to it reducing spin.

Im not sure if that helps, but hopefully it answers your questions.

I actually put the CS ball back in play and do like the softer feel around the green. It will be interesting as I'm mainly going between the CS and CSX-LS. There are qualities of each which are appealing to me but I feel like I can game either

Finally got the CSX in and put them in play today for the first time and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. What I saw compared to my last round with a different ball was lower launch off the tee, softer feeling than I expected for a X ball and some nice spin around the greens even in wet conditions. This is also my first go round with Triple Track and while I didn't think I would like it much, turns out I do :oops: Had 3 birdies today. I don't love the price though and would be hard pressed to buy another dozen or so without a deal but I really enjoyed this ball quite a bit today. Looking forward to some further use.

I actually put the CS ball back in play and do like the softer feel around the green. It will be interesting as I'm mainly going between the CS and CSX-LS. There are qualities of each which are appealing to me but I feel like I can game either

This was me earlier this year, but I quickly found that I prefer a firmer ball, and the CSX LS won out. But this Chrome Soft line-up is the best ball offerings callaway has ever had.

Finally got the CSX in and put them in play today for the first time and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. What I saw compared to my last round with a different ball was lower launch off the tee, softer feeling than I expected for a X ball and some nice spin around the greens even in wet conditions. This is also my first go round with Triple Track and while I didn't think I would like it much, turns out I do :oops: Had 3 birdies today. I don't love the price though and would be hard pressed to buy another dozen or so without a deal but I really enjoyed this ball quite a bit today. Looking forward to some further use.

another convert. i agree i hate the price, but it is what it is right now in the premium market. how was durability for you?

another convert. i agree i hate the price, but it is what it is right now in the premium market. how was durability for you?
Durability was solid. I had one little mark on one from a thin heely shot but nothing I'd pull it from play for. I agree about the price, though if I'm making multiple birdies a round with it I could probably get over it quickly haha. It just seemed to work well for me today but time will tell and with new gear on the way it could change again but for what I had today it was literally perfect.

These are henceforth known as Unicorn Balls.

Thanks to @JohnnyCallaway on THP TV.

Back to original Chrome Soft in the bag for tomorrow's round.

Durability was solid. I had one little mark on one from a thin heely shot but nothing I'd pull it from play for. I agree about the price, though if I'm making multiple birdies a round with it I could probably get over it quickly haha. It just seemed to work well for me today but time will tell and with new gear on the way it could change again but for what I had today it was literally perfect.
We just have to be vigilant when they have the buy 3 dozen get 1 free sales. I will be saving some of my shop credit for next spring for that occasion.

Played another round with the CSx last night.

I am really enjoying this ball, it does everything so well. I will say though, side by side with the TP5x it is practically identical. Except for the feel. If they could find a way to soften it just a bit, it would be the best all around ball out there imo.

TT while good on the green, is just too distracting for me everywhere else. I feel like I gave it a fair shake, but I just need a clean ball. I'll play the rest until gone, but moving forward, it's standard for me.

Do those that play with triple track see a noticeable difference in the three lines compared to the single alignment line found on other balls? If so, what is different for you?

Do those that play with triple track see a noticeable difference in the three lines compared to the single alignment line found on other balls? If so, what is different for you?

100%, without a doubt, I am a firm believer in Triple Track. It’s a few things for me:
  1. The triple track are significantly easier to line up
  2. It’s easier to see the putting line when over the putt with it
  3. It’s easier for me to align the face of my putter in relation to the triple track
  4. MOST IMPORTANTLY - I am confident on my line, so i only have to worry about other aspects of my stroke

Absolutely. For me it's easier to line up and lastly on the tt, I focus on that middle line and connecting the alignment aid on my putter with it and I know if I can do that it's going to end up pretty close to wear it's aligned. Some could say, you can do that with just 1 line on the ball. You are probably right, but having the 3 does something with my eyes and allows me to focus more on the middle line, instead of the space around it. My putting has drastically improved over the last 3 years. I have my weird rounds where it's off, but that happens in the game of golf lol.

I used the CSX today instead of my normal CS. I immediately noticed the firmer feel on the practice green and the first drive of the day startled me at impact how much louder it was. I had a good day with driver and there are a couple wide open holes on my course that I hit bombs. Knowing this ball works best for fast swingers makes me want to give it a ride but I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. The extra spin of the CSX greenside and on short pitches is noticeable and cost me a couple times when it checked up when I am used to more rollout from the CS. I have a couple dozen of the CSX that I need to use up but I prefer the soft feel and predictability of the std. Chrome Soft.

I hit a very upper 300's drive with a CSX today. That was fun.

Back