Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Report of my thoughts from the Tour Authentic thread on my first range session with the Speed Triple Diamond.

After 1 range session I think the Triple Diamond is going to be exactly what I was hoping it was going to be. Almost a mix between the Speed and Max LS in every way. Most importantly, it definitely plays more neutral than the Standard. Hit a lot of balls and really only had 1 hook on me and that was from a hard high toe, so I kind of got what I deserved. Most were just straight, and flat. Launch seems to be a touch lower than on the Standard Speed. I think I prefer the look at address of the standard Speed, but think I will like the performance of this one just a bit more. We'll see on the course tomorrow.

Report of my thoughts from the Tour Authentic thread on my first range session with the Speed Triple Diamond.

After 1 range session I think the Triple Diamond is going to be exactly what I was hoping it was going to be. Almost a mix between the Speed and Max LS in every way. Most importantly, it definitely plays more neutral than the Standard. Hit a lot of balls and really only had 1 hook on me and that was from a hard high toe, so I kind of got what I deserved. Most were just straight, and flat. Launch seems to be a touch lower than on the Standard Speed. I think I prefer the look at address of the standard Speed, but think I will like the performance of this one just a bit more. We'll see on the course tomorrow.

Now is this the TD Speed or TD Speed LS ?

Dnevs has me in ponder from the THP Lige today.

Epic Speed helped me hit 6/7 FIR tonight. Put the stock shaft back in it and had a nice 3-5 yard fade all night. Started down the left side and let it come back to the middle.

Your description of the Speed TD being a blend of standard Speed and Max LS is spot on and I agree with you view on the Speed TD being very neutral. I have 3 rounds in the books and I’m very, very pleased.

Does anyone have a pic of the wpic speed triple diamond and epic speed LS triple diamond side by side? Are they the same look at address or is the LS shaped similar to the max LS? Thanks @JohnnyCallaway

First round out with the Triple Diamond was exactly what I hoped for. Totally minimized the draw, and was able to just hit some straight bombs. Couldn't be happier so far.

First round since the pull hook fest last week and the Epic Max LS redeemed itself in a big way. I did not hit a single hook or slice the whole round. I had a couple that stayed on a straight line that did not draw but they all ended up in good shape. The LS had been so very good for me until my last round. Its nice to know that the bad round was a fluke and this driver is perfect for me.

did a mini shaft to shaft test this afternoon at the range. Took Ventus Red, Ventus Blue, and Motore F1. Ventus Blue is the gamer and has been really good to me but requires a pretty full swing to be great. Ventus Red came out on top with more center strikes and better dispersion. She will get the spot in the bag for tomorrow 6:40A round.

Enjoy the weekend everyone and GO LOW!! Murica

I’m looking to be able to bring spin down a touch especially for those windy days. I went and hit both the Max LS and Speed and they spun 1k+ more than my Epic Flash.

It’s very clear to me that it is user error but I am not sure why. It could be my Flash head is heavier and I’m used to it? They didn’t have a max to try I’d like to find somewhere I could hit that outdoors.

I’m looking to be able to bring spin down a touch especially for those windy days. I went and hit both the Max LS and Speed and they spun 1k+ more than my Epic Flash.

It’s very clear to me that it is user error but I am not sure why. It could be my Flash head is heavier and I’m used to it? They didn’t have a max to try I’d like to find somewhere I could hit that outdoors.

Did you put same shaft from your flash into LS or Speed heads?

Did you put same shaft from your flash into LS or Speed heads?

Yeah same shaft, I brought my driver with me. It has to be the swing I put on it just not sure why.

Sold some clubs and got some money burning a hole in my pocket.
Would really like to get away from the MAX head. The draw bias is so strong for me that I’m setting up for fades to fit straight tee shots. Anyone hit the MAX vs Speed? If so thoughts? Is maybe the MAX LS option?

Would really like to get away from the MAX head. The draw bias is so strong for me that I’m setting up for fades to fit straight tee shots. Anyone hit the MAX vs Speed? If so thoughts? Is maybe the MAX LS option?
The LS has taken the hook mostly from my swing. Only real bad swings produce those. I am hitting more fades with it now but mostly straight or baby draws. I have the back weight slid towards the toe. It sets up nicely neutral to my Eyes.

12/14 FIR today with the Speed. Had 2 drives that for me where long, 270 and 264.
Have been able to move the ball both ways without much issue. Had a couple today that I caught high on the face (like almost crowning high) and they still went a long way.

The LS has taken the hook mostly from my swing. Only real bad swings produce those. I am hitting more fades with it now but mostly straight or baby draws. I have the back weight slid towards the toe. It sets up nicely neutral to my Eyes.
The course I played today had a Speed demo and put that in play today with the Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 50 Graphite 6.0 shaft. Like the look and a couple nice drives. Should have put the head on Nemesys shaft to really give it a true test. Think I’m going to try to pick up a Max LS. What’s life without Whimsy ?

Last edited:
I have no need for another driver, but these have me intrigued

If you can get a demo out on the course that would be great. I was able to bring an LS demo on my home course and learned a couple things. I was coming from the 9 degree Mavrik Max turned up to 10. Decided to demo the 10.5. It definitely launches lower than the Mavrik Max and the 10.5 is perfect for me. It took away the left miss for me and I now play it in N/S with the weight between the middle and the heel. At first I was getting straight or slight fades even in the draw setting. For whatever reason as time passed I was turning it over more in a draw not a miss but I switched it to N/S. Originally I went with the stock mmt stiff shaft and it was good. I switched to the Ventus Blue 5s and it is even better so for me it works. But if you can get a demo out I think on the Course you will know if it will work for you.

Last edited:
Just got back from a two day buddy trip 36 holes a day and the Max LS continues to shine. Sometimes they say that if your driver swings shows up that day as a slight cut then don’t try to manipulate it to something else just play what comes to you. I am what I would consider a slow adapter when it comes to irons and drivers so it takes me a little while to get into a nice groove, which I feel I have now accomplished.

I have found that basically I have two swings with the LS, a little cut which just goes a long way surprisingly, and the second swing I would consider a straight to slight draw swing. I am not a long driver of the ball but consistently say 250 to 260 with either shot shape.
For myself I have basically lost the left miss completely with this driver head. It just does not want to go left. Anyway I think for myself this has been just a great fit and combine with the Accra TZ6 M4, it has been a lethal combination. Undeniably it’s the best head/shaft combination I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:
Anyone playing a speed max 7w?

did a mini shaft to shaft test this afternoon at the range. Took Ventus Red, Ventus Blue, and Motore F1. Ventus Blue is the gamer and has been really good to me but requires a pretty full swing to be great. Ventus Red came out on top with more center strikes and better dispersion. She will get the spot in the bag for tomorrow 6:40A round.

Enjoy the weekend everyone and GO LOW!! Murica
Love reading about shaft tests. I need to do a shaft comparison as well soon, would like to add Tensei CK Pro Blue and Ventus Blue to the test but should probably start with what I have! 😅

Love reading about shaft tests. I need to do a shaft comparison as well soon, would like to add Tensei CK Pro Blue and Ventus Blue to the test but should probably start with what I have! 😅
shane what you have in your closet rivals almost what club champions has their wall :LOL::LOL:

2nd round out with the Speed TD was a pretty good one. Hit a few pretty long balls for me. One thing I still need to get used to a bit is that I don't have to aim a bit right and play for the draw. Just aim it down the middle and it goes straight. Plays quite a bit differently than the standard Speed in that regard. It's exactly what I want it to be, just have to get used to that mentally.

If you can get a demo out on the course that would be great. I was able to bring an LS demo on my home course and learned a couple things. I was coming from the 9 degree Mavrik Max turned up to 10. Decided to demo the 10.5. It definitely launches lower than the Mavrik Max and the 10.5 is perfect for me. It took away the left miss for me and I now play it in N/S with the weight between the middle and the heel. At first I was getting straight or slight fades even in the draw setting. For whatever reason as time passed I was turning it over more in a draw not a miss but I switched it to N/S. Originally I went with the stock mmt stiff shaft and it was good. I switched to the Ventus Blue 5s and it is even better so for me it works. But if you can get a demo out I think on the Course you will know if it will work for you.
Well a 20% sale and reward credit just made that easy. Based on the comments above, I picked up a 9° Max LS with the Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 50 Graphite 5.5 shaft. Figured I could loft up to open up the face. I’m going away for a 4 day golf weekend with 7 other guys on Thursday and had the club shipped 2 day UPS to the Pro Shop to put in to play this weekend.

Last edited:
Back