Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

I am in super ponder mode on the STZ, I need to find somewhere to go hit one. Super in love with my st190 3w and hella curious on the newer clubs now.

Budget Golf is a top notch company and I love their 90 playability guarantee.

I have also found the X to be lower launching, so I’ve been playing it set at one click “higher” and with a Ventus Red

Wouldn't say this at all, but then again, I have the blue 11g weight in the heel of mine. With the mid-launch Tensei Orange, I actually have it dialed down to 8.25° and the launch is still perfect. Totally shaft dependent.

As far as I know, all adapters change face angle when you change loft. That's how they work.

Right on the Mizuno site:

ST-X loft sleeve.jpg

As mentioned earlier I did a blind buy of an ST-X 12 from 2nd Swing.

I was able to hit a 9.5 ST-Z today cranked up to 11.5 and loved the flight I was getting.

So I did the sensible thing and ordered one of them as well.

:)

I was able to hit a 9.5 ST-Z today cranked up to 11.5 and loved the flight I was getting.

Best possible choice in this scenario!

I mean, that’s definitely the THP way! :LOL:

Took the ST-Z out today in the mid-week comp. The results were not as positive as they were on the LM, but my swing was admittedly off-kilter.

With the cranked up loft the face looked awfully closed and I had more pulls than normal. I'll try it less cranked tomorrow.

In spite of the stock Riptide shaft being my Mizuno Optimizer No.1 pick, it felt a tad loose. So I'll stick my usual AD VR in and see what happens. Possibly my Ventus Blue too.

Took the ST-Z out today in the mid-week comp. The results were not as positive as they were on the LM, but my swing was admittedly off-kilter.

With the cranked up loft the face looked awfully closed and I had more pulls than normal. I'll try it less cranked tomorrow.

In spite of the stock Riptide shaft being my Mizuno Optimizer No.1 pick, it felt a tad loose. So I'll stick my usual AD VR in and see what happens. Possibly my Ventus Blue too.
I’d give that shaft more of a shot, one day on the course doesn’t ever tell the whole story ;)

Nice driving Monday with another over 60% fairway hit. (9/14 for 64%)

The X has been a lock and load driver for my game.

I picked up the 3 wood yesterday in a weak moment while picking up a new grip for my driver. 3 wood is usually a strong spot in my bag but this year has been really hit or miss with the tsi3 so I’m hoping this one one works out. It was great on the launch monitor.

Just ordered a ST-X 10.5 head only from ebay to compare against my ST-Z. Just didn't like the shaft options from Mizuno so want to try the HZRDUS RDX and a Ventus i have lying around.
I want to hear your thoughts on this. I really like the ST-Z but am thinking of switching to the ST-X for the draw bias.

My ST-X has been sneaking more and more left last couple of rounds.

So, obviously, I got a new shaft to try.

I mentioned in a previous post that I'm (also) going to a new shaft the my ST-X. Not due to direction, but would like a bit higher launch. Although, and of course, my last round with the ST_X was so, so good. I have a feeling that my shaft experiment is going to backfire.

Really am having a blast off the tee box with the X. I’m almost to the point now that I’m shocked if I’m to far out of play off the tee. Danny worked his magic for sure on this thing. Shot net 30 in league last week driving it aggressively without a worry of going offline. The shape of the head frames the ball so great on the tee with the carbon makes setup second nature and ensures consistent play.

I have hit some absolute gems with the X but can’t figure out if the Motore is for me. Would like to try other shafts but already have a shaft battle going on with my Speed and not sure if I want to go down another rabbit hole 🙃

All I can say is if the driver is anywhere as impressive as the 3 wood I may need to try one. The 3 woods with the stock motore x is an absolute cannon and with a high straight ball flight. I had a couple off the tee that were creeping on driver distance. Another plus is that even for its size it’s very easy to hit off the deck

Spent a little time on the launch monitor with the Z today. Shockingly easy to hit..

I want to hear your thoughts on this. I really like the ST-Z but am thinking of switching to the ST-X for the draw bias.
I know it's arrived but I'm down in NC right now. Will definitely let you know how it goes.

All I can say is if the driver is anywhere as impressive as the 3 wood I may need to try one. The 3 woods with the stock motore x is an absolute cannon and with a high straight ball flight. I had a couple off the tee that were creeping on driver distance. Another plus is that even for its size it’s very easy to hit off the deck
I mean, I’ve only been yelling it for months Mike! :LOL:

I mean, I’ve only been yelling it for months Mike! :LOL:
Haha, I know you have. You forget where I live we literally just got one in the rack and I grabbed it before anyone else even had a chance to look at it and I’m glad I did! It is definitely a monster and love how flat it seems when addressing the ball.

Last edited:
So I finally had a chance to go to the range and hit these two heads side by side. I used my Ventus 6S shaft. I wanted to try the HZRDUS RDX but I forgot to bring it.

Long story short, both are great but I think ST-X is a better fit for me. My miss tends to be a block/fade if my wrists get a little lazy and i don't turn my wrists over. When I remember to turn them over, which happens more than not, i hit a little baby fade or straight shot with the ST-Z and a little baby draw with the ST-X.

So for good shots, both are perfect...I might even prefer the baby fade/straight shot since it's a little more predictable and may get me in play more often.

But because I rarely over turn the wrists and am more likely to block right with an open club face I think I prefer the ST-X since it limits it to a fade or a straight block out right. The ST-Z can get way right and super spinny for me with my miss.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely slice it pretty bad with the ST-X if you're over the top, but since my swing path is usually in to out a little the ST-X worked for me.

But both are very forgiving and feel and sound great.

Really am having a blast off the tee box with the X. I’m almost to the point now that I’m shocked if I’m to far out of play off the tee. Danny worked his magic for sure on this thing. Shot net 30 in league last week driving it aggressively without a worry of going offline. The shape of the head frames the ball so great on the tee with the carbon makes setup second nature and ensures consistent play.
@DannyLe totally got the driver right for me as well. been really hitting that club good. the other clubs need to start behaving themselves a bit more

Unfortunately my city (Sydney Australia) is back in lockdown and that means no more comp golf.

On the slightly positive side, that means I've played a couple of social rounds lately where scores don't count and I can hit two drives off the tee.

And I'm afraid my gushing over the ST-Z has to be reigned a little further back now I have hit it side by side on course against my Mavrik.

Still a very good driver. But whilst (for me) the ST-Z was somewhat better than the Max LS and SIm2 Max in my LM shootout, the Mavrik performs just as well objectively and subjectively has notably better sound and feel.

I'm still waiting on my ST-X to arrive, but the ST-Z will be moving on.

Unfortunately my city (Sydney Australia) is back in lockdown and that means no more comp golf.

On the slightly positive side, that means I've played a couple of social rounds lately where scores don't count and I can hit two drives off the tee.

And I'm afraid my gushing over the ST-Z has to be reigned a little further back now I have hit it side by side on course against my Mavrik.

Still a very good driver. But whilst (for me) the ST-Z was somewhat better than the Max LS and SIm2 Max in my LM shootout, the Mavrik performs just as well objectively and subjectively has notably better sound and feel.

I'm still waiting on my ST-X to arrive, but the ST-Z will be moving on.
Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I use both the ST-X and Mavrik. The X is my long driver and the Mavrik is my shorter driver degree up to 12.5°.

Both are fantastic drivers. Sound wise, I like the sound off the ST-X.

Back