Recent content by ackman13

1. ackman13

Modernize a Classic? What’s your poison?

A lot of great clubs to choose from. My main set of irons are a set of Callaway Mavrik - which I love. However, I like to play classic clubs. The Hogan Apex 1999 are one of my favorites. I have a older set of Mizuno T-Zoids which are very good. Also, I have a set of 1978 Wilson Reflex which are...
  2. ackman13

Mizuno T-Zoid Pro irons, anyone play them?

I found a set of T-Zoid Sure Irons at a local Goodwill for $1.99 each. the lofts are approximately 2 degrees stronger on the Sure Vs the Pro. I haven't played a round with them yet but I did hit them on the range and I hit them very well. They had a good trajectory, felt great and were easy to...
  3. ackman13

Hogan Radial Blades

There were two versions of the Radials. It sounds like you have the 1983 (or so) version. They aren't worth much because of their age. I had a set and the lofts are pretty weak with the 8 iron being 41 degrees. They felt nice to hit - though the shorter distances also make them less desirable. I...
  4. ackman13

Henry - GriffittsClubs

Well, I didn't get to try them on the course when I planned to. I guess the best laid plans and all of that. However, I continued to hit them - along with my Hogan PTX. Well, I got the opportunity to play in a scramble and I decided to play the HG clubs. They performed very well. I had great...
  5. ackman13

Henry - GriffittsClubs

Does anyone have experience with Henry Griffitts irons? I found a set of irons at Goodwill. I hadn't heard of them and looked them up and discovered they do custom fitting. For $19.99 for 10 clubs I couldn't go wrong. I planned to sell them. I found out that they were stiff shaft with a standard...
  6. ackman13

Ben Hogan Ft Worth, PTX & Tommy Armour 845s Comparison

I bought a set of Hogan PTX irons about 7 months ago. They are great feeling clubs and perform pretty well - though I have been inconsistent with them. Of course, I am returning to golf seriously after not playing much for health and personal reasons. I am still a ways from the 6 handicap I used...
  7. ackman13

Driver Distances and Technology changwith man

Like most golfers I want improve my distance with my driver. Also, like many older golfers I have found as I have gotten older my distance has diminished. During this time I have gotten more sedimentary and out of shape. This contributed more to my lack of distance. Over the past few years I...
  8. ackman13

Old vs New MacGregor VIP Vs Ben Hogan PTXto

I had an interesting experience today. I found a set of MacGregor VIP irons on eBay. They had a stiff velocity frequency matched shafts. I used to have a set of VIP’s in my younger days - that were around 1969 = 1970 vintage. These were the clubs I played when I had 6 handicap. I played my set...
  9. ackman13

Ben Hogan Clubs Update

After doing a demo on the PTX irons and the Edge irons I decided to make a change from my Nike Vapor Fly irons and purchase a set of PTX irons and a Hogan Golf Bag. First, the customer service of the Hogan staff was amazing. Second of all, since I have had the irons I have hit them several times...
  10. ackman13

New versus old clubs and avoiding the hype of the latest and greatest.

In another thread I posted about how I bought a set of Tommy Armour 845s irons like the ones I played my best golf with in the 90's and while the loft is about 4 degrees weaker on every iron they felt great to hit. This, of course made them about 10 yards shorter on each club then my Nike Vapor...
  11. ackman13

Ballspeed, distance and my driver journey

Since I have been practicing and playing for a few months after essentially a 7 year absence I have found a lot tougher to get back into shape and regain a consistent swing. At 61 with some health issues behind me and some added weight I have struggled with consistency and distance. I have...
  12. ackman13

TaylorMade M2 distance

In the past few months since I have returned to playing and taking lessons I have continued to improve. My driver carry distance had increased by about 25 yards Or so during this time. Today, I was at the PGA Tour Superstore and pulled several drivers from the used rack to try. These included a...
  13. ackman13

Help with a shaft for a TaylorMade R9 460

Tuesday I was in the PGA Tour Superstore and an R9 460 on the used rack. Thinking it may have been the one I traded in several months or one exactly like it, I hit some shots in practice bays. I found I was hitting the ball close to, or in some cases, even or further than some of the new...
Back