Recent content by bumpnrun

1. bumpnrun

PGA says it will abide by anchored putter ban

http:// www.pgatour.com/news/2013/07/01/policy-board-allows-usga-ban-anchored-strokes.html I don't see how the Tour had any other alternative. Will be interesting to see what Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley etc will do.
  2. bumpnrun

Southeast Summer Vacation Ideas

I am taking the family to Washington DC this summer and am then planning to head south from there for a couple of weeks. Not a "golf vacation" but plan on playing a couple of rounds along the way. Considereing the girls don't golf, what are the places we should plan to visit? I am thinking...
  3. bumpnrun

Another glitch in the FedEx Cup?

With Rory now winning 50% of the playoff tournaments his chances aren't any better going into the final than if he had sat out of the BMW. I know they want there to be a reason to watch the final but come on. If a guy goes T24, Win, Win, top 25 in this field it says something. Is there a...
  4. bumpnrun

Energy Drinks & Shots

I love 5hr energy for long drives but have never tried it when I golf. I try to even stay away from coffee before rounds as it makes me jumpy and wrecks my tempo, perhaps an energy shot would be OK.
  5. bumpnrun

The Biggest Bargain in Palm Springs

While we were down there for winter break we learned that the Mountian Course in La Quinta has what they call their Little Links Program. If you bring a junior after 2:30 not only does the junior play 9 holes for free from special shortened tee boxes that were perfect for my 8 year old, the...
  6. bumpnrun

Westin Mission Hills Resort- Dye Course (Rancho Mirage, Ca)

This was my first time playing either desert golf or a Pete Dye layout so I wasn't sure exactly how it would play. I went in expecting hard, fast fairways and greens; lots of hazards and a tough test. While the greens and fairways played firm and fast and there was plenty of trouble out there...
  7. bumpnrun

Palm Springs Bound

The kids get Presidents Week off so we are heading South to stay at the Westin Mission Hills resort by Palm Springs. I have only booked one round so far at the resort's Pete Dye track. I've never played a Dye layout or a desert course for that matter so I'm wondering what to expect. Also...
  8. bumpnrun

Starting Kids at Golf

I am the golf coach for my kids middle school team and every year we have the same issue: 20 kids come out for the team and 10 of them have never held a club before. I needed a way to get the kids hooked on golf earlier. This year I convinced the school to adopt golf as part of the PE...
  9. bumpnrun

Just Back from Bandon Dunes

Just got back from a 3 day trip. The weather was phenominal - Mid 50's, blue skies and light breezes. This is my third time to the resort but my first time playing in perfect conditions. I will post pictures as soon as I get through them (I took about 300) but in the mean time her are some...
  10. bumpnrun

East Coast Vs. West Coast Buddies Trip

With all of the great golf along both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, which is the best place for a buddies vacation? My vote is the Pacific. You can bookend your trip with the #1 and #2 resorts (Bandon and Pebble) with plenty of great golf in between (Pasatiempo, Half Moon Bay, Harding Park...
  11. bumpnrun

Goin' Back to Bandon

We make a January trip up to the (Now) number 1 golf resort in the US every year at this time. The rounds are less than 1/2 of the in season price but you roll the dice with the conditions. This year the weather is shaping up to be perfect. I have played in everything from sun to snow and hail...
  12. bumpnrun

100 Years Old and Still Golfing

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/article/0,28224,2096301,00.html It just blows me away to see stuff like this. I can remember as a teenager not being able to imagine living to 40. Now that I am 40 I watch things like this and hope I will still be playing at 100 years old too. He plays 3 days...
  13. bumpnrun

Pondering Changes to my Bag

I currently play 4 wedges: the PW that came with the set plus a 52, 56, and a 60. I use the 60 (with less bounce) around the green, the 56 (with more bounce) from the sand, the 52 mostly for pitching outside of 50 yards and the PW is really just another iron. To keep to the 14 club limit I...
  14. bumpnrun

Anchoring a 4 Man Scramble Team

I play in charity scrambles from time to time. Can't say I love them, mostly because they usually take all day but also because they don't feel like real golf, but I had never anchored a team before. My team included my 7 year old son (27 handicap), my friend's 13 year old (21 handicap) and...
Back