Recent content by dannyka

1. dannyka

Hottest temp in which you'll walk a round?

We're heading into the hottest days of the year so far here in Utah. Luckily, it's nice and dry so I will probably venture out and walk the round this weekend, especially if I can get out a little earlier. I have walked rounds where the temp has been in the high 90's before, and that's what I...
  2. dannyka

What is this "fairway" thing you speak of?

I hit ONE fairway today (out of fourteen)! (And that was on the 17th hole...) I couldn't believe it. You'd think just out of sheer, dumb luck I'd have hit at least two! And no, after a point I did not put my driver away. It was plain, ol' stubbornness that just kept me going after it to see...
  3. dannyka

Rory and the washing machine

Sorry if this has been posted here already (I did a search! Really!). A young (10-year old) Rory McIlroy demonstrating one of his drills: chipping golf balls into his mother's washing machine. Okay you folks with kids. You now know how to start your younglings on the way to stardom... Rory...
  4. dannyka

Regular vs Stiff shafts for irons

Hi all, Since I have no idea about regular vs stiff shafts, I thought I'd come to the experts. :D I've been demoing some irons the past few weeks and I came across something weird yesterday. As background, I currently play the Callaway X-20s with their Uniflex shafts. It seems to fit me...
  5. dannyka

Why I'm a fan of the LPGA

Being a dad (especially of two daughters), I love hearing stories like this. For the Love of the Fans - Morgan Pressel Mostly because of the girls, we had season tickets for the WNBA Starzz when they were in Utah. The players were always friendly, accessible, and seemed to be good role models...
  6. dannyka

So what does GHIN give me?

I just read that the UGA (Utah Golf Assn.) has joined GHIN for their handicapping. How exactly is GHIN different from any other handicapping calculation? From what I've seen, it's just another vendor, right? (albeit THE USGA vendor...) I just hope it doesn't mean higher fees... :smile-big:
  7. dannyka

Golfing in the rain (and I don't mean a light sprinkle...)

Does anyone else enjoy playing their golf in the rain? (Of course, this is minus the thunder/lightning--forget that!) I'd never really done it much before this summer, but twice now I've played in pretty much a downpour (for at least 1/2 of a round) and I find I quite enjoy it. Things are...
  8. dannyka

Recommendations please - golf glove for rain

Hi all, Played a round today where it rained for about half the time. Do any of you have a recommendation for a good glove to use in the rain? My usual dry weather glove was pretty worthless after it got wet. I managed to make it through okay the rest of the round with a Mizuno winter glove...
  9. dannyka

Golfing term question -- What is "Moving Day?"

I hear this sometimes, I'm assuming it refers to Saturday (or 3rd round based on this post), but what does it really mean? What/Who is "moving"? Is it up/down the leaderboard?
  10. dannyka

Would like your opinion: 3 Wood or 2 Hybrid?

Hi all, I have a 3 Wood 15° (metal of course) in the bag, but I hardly ever use it. When I'm not hitting a driver, I much prefer turning to my hybrid or an iron. I practice with the 3W, but just don't really like using it. Where I would pull out the 3W most is to hit off the deck (e.g., 2nd...
  11. dannyka

How about some Mesquite, NV suggestions?

Some buddies and I are heading down to Mesquite for some warmer golfing. Provisional seems to like Wolf Creek there. What other courses would you all suggest? Thanks!
  12. dannyka

Winter exercise

With the frozen golf tundra and the x-c skiers gliding across the fairways, I'm not getting much golf in these days. To keep myself from totally going to pot (shape), I continue to run, do some light weights, and do some balancing-type exercises. What are you all doing to stay in golf-shape...
  13. dannyka

Just a wee bit chilly this morning...

8° here at my office in Park City this morning. And I'm not talkin' Celsius! :snowman: How's it where you are?
  14. dannyka

JB - Out of curiosity...

...how many countries are represented here by forum members? Xabi from Argentina and shewythemuss from Wales got me thinking about it.
  15. dannyka

Now *that's* a driver...

The driver I'm referring to is Ken Block. A buddy of mine sent me these vids since 1) I drive a Subaru and 2) I live in Utah and 3) Top Gear is one of my favorite shows. This first one is set not very far from where I work. I believe the ski runs you see are Deer Valley. nTDNLUzjkpg However...
Back