Recent content by darthweasel

1. darthweasel

Old Man shakes fist at sky; handicap posting as a single

have enjoyed reading the responses and, while I have no dog in the following fight, I do believe it is an important point: when the handicap system was moved towards unification under the World System, the ending of posting scores was done against the wishes of the USGA but done to fit in with...
  2. darthweasel

Old Man shakes fist at sky; handicap posting as a single

Okay, this one risks going down a dark rabbit hole but... Part of the nature of how I golf leads to an unfortunate number of solo rounds. I enjoy them...whenever I remember my earbuds I throw them in, thrown on some music I like and off I go. Whenever possible I try to match up with others but...
  3. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

So the last couple of nights have been pretty positive. Fat shots are few and far between. Chipping has been a much tighter dispersion, my putting touch is back and I have drained several mid to long range efforts without adding a commensurate short miss. So maintaining the eye point 2" past...
  4. darthweasel

Really random: which pocket?

I will presume you also don't hold your finish after a shot which is something any number of instructors recommend and for similar reasons. I absolutely want to ingrain the feel after a solid shot. Current brain research has strongly indicated it has long term positive impacts on learning and...
  5. darthweasel

Really random: which pocket?

I have experimented both ways and find I have a better connection and touch when chipping and putting both. So much so that I practiced with glove and then without for quote some time and tracked the results...it may or may not be psychosomatic but the numbers were undeniable. I average closer...
  6. darthweasel

Lou Stagner is a good follow

I am definitely one of those people who is grabbing putter whenever possible...I will putt from a good 15-20 yards into the fairway on occasion. Last night dropped one in for the unlikely birdie from the deep fringe, had a couple other up and downs...putters rule.
  7. darthweasel

makes sense to me. I know at one point I leaned into the "Rule of 12" and it worked for a while...and then it didn't. Went to using a 50 for everything and for a while it worked well but then started repeatedly being in a place where that meant landing it on the fringe. Mis-hit that about twice...
  8. darthweasel

Shot my best round ever this morning.

likely depends on the differential. It is the best feeling when you get the "the score posted is outside the expected range for this golfer" warning...well done
  9. darthweasel

so had a podcast or something on in the background and Stagner made a fascinating observation. With low...like scratch..golfers, the golfers who tend to have the best short game stats use a variety of clubs around the green...those who use one club tend to be statistically worse. He then went...
  10. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

Okay, been working on the keys so the list to work on - direction -distance control - contact - modifying my wedge For the contact, I made an adjustment and been spending time working on it. Instead of looking at the ball, I draw an imaginary line on the swing path and look at the ground about...
  11. darthweasel

Pet Peeves…???

I was just reminded of one of those a week and couple days ago. Anniversary of us playing a tournament and 3 of us played both years. Last year we were matched up with a single. Very gregarious, outgoing, smiling, laughing, talking about how he just enjoys golf, out to have a good time, doesn't...
  12. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

So Wednesday I played a round, Thursday was practice: lets update Things that went poorly Wednesday were all over the place, so I think I will review the round and pinpoint what needs work Hole 1, good drive, and the approach with a wedge was ab absolute shank 45 degrees right so instead of...
  13. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

Been thinking a bit about one of the drawbacks to having joined a semi-private club. It has mostly been beneficial...every break in the weather I go get in some cow pasture pool and as long as I stick to the private side the rounds top out around 3:43 with most of them quicker. But...BUT...I...
  14. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

So the first random thought is reflecting on Saturday's borderline disastrous tournament at Langdon Farms. Usually I don't really care about the tournament setting...I am playing with the NW Golf Guys primarily for 2 reasons: 1, to golf with specific friends, and/r 2, they play a lot of courses...
  15. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

Few threads out there on various handicap goals and so froth and this seems like a good place to start posting some of my random thoughts and reflections. Several people through the years have been shocked to hear I was not a single digit handicap. And to be fair, i have all the tools..I have...
Back