Recent content by Et Tu Brute?

1. E

Just curious...........what style putter is in your bag? Blade in mine. Thanks!

I think of putters in three basic styles. 1) Blades 2) Mallets 3) Flange on the back The most common style is probably the flange-back design, like a Ping Anser and a million others. Maybe most people call those "blades" but I save that term for a true blade. I use a Anser-style putter with...
  2. E

How would feel...

When I was a beginner, I had LOTS of well intentioned older golfers tell me how important it was to finish every hole, count every stroke, play according to the rules no matter how many shots it took. Otherwise, you'll never learn to be a "real golfer". I'm saying I heard pretty much some slight...
  3. E

Would you play non conforming wedges?

Are you talking about new or recent wedges designed from the off to be non-conforming? No. Das interessiert mich nicht. Are you talking about old wedges that USGA may or may not get around to declaring non-conforming at some point a few years hence? Sure. If I owned one I'd have no qualms...
  4. E

Does the Nikon Coolshot ProII Stabilized have an audio alert

OK, I have to retract what I posted earlier. There IS in fact an audible locked-on beep function in the Coolshot Pro II Stabilized. It's a beep, not a shake, and if turned on it only beeps when the "First Target Priority" reading is happening (i.e. when you are lasering a foreground object with...
  5. E

Completely and comprehensively better. It's amazingly stable.
  6. E

That's just crazy they put that on their website for some reason. I have the Pro II and used to have the original Pro. I'm sure I read every bit of marketing info out there before buying and never saw any mention of that. And it's not in the user manual, nor is it a function of either of the...
  7. E

How much would you pay for green fees on vacation?

I did a lot of golf travel, often at considerable expense, back in the day. Now I am pretty much, “been there, done that” and am not willing to fly anywhere for golf or to spend hundreds of dollars. Generally I am not looking to spend more than a hundred dollars for a round of golf. The only...
  8. E

"Consistency" - what does it mean?

Last summer playing a short Par 4 I sliced a tee shot into the rough about 25 yards off the fairway. Got there and it was on a patch of hardpan, no problem getting the ball up around the green. The next day, same hole, same slice. I told the guy I was playing with, "Hope I fixed my divot...
  9. E

Nebulous Question Alert: At what handicap is one considered a "good" golfer?

I'm a short-hitting, older hacker with a handicap index that runs in the 16-19 range, mostly. On an easy course, from the 5,500 yard tees, playing by myself with nothing on the line I almost always shoot in the 80's and a few times of year I'll post a 78 or 79. Bogey golf involves either some...
  10. E

Favorite type of golf course

Any course that's plays firm and fast, drains well, has interesting greens and isn't choked by water hazards and OB everywhere. The exact "style" or whether it has views of the ocean matters much less.
  11. E

The fact that the "average" golfer is really, really bad does not make the guy shooting in the 80's whose 'cap is 9 or 10 a good golfer. He's just not as bad as most people. C'mon guys, look around you next time you play golf! Nine of ten golfers on a typical course on a typical day are truly...
  12. E

Walkers: Steps per round?

That's 27 holes for me. I hardly ever do 27 in a day any more (couple times a year?) but the most steps I've ever tracked on a 27-hole day were in the 22K-23K range (and that was for the entire day, including the rest of the day before and after golf). When I was younger I'd do 36 in a day...
  13. E

Walkers: Steps per round?

Back when I wore a Garmin tracker, my golf rounds were consistently give or take a few hundred steps of 13,600 per round. My tracker broke a year or so ago and I haven't replaced it. At the low end on my home course I can do a full 18 holes with only 12,700 steps but that would be playing by...
  14. E

I think if you need to get strokes to compete, you're not a "good golfer". What I'd consider "good golfers" play straight up and can shoot somewhere around par or better in tournaments or money games. A 2-handicapper or a 20-handicapper are just different levels of golfers who aren't highly...
  15. E

Describe Your Golf Game With A Song Title

Mine's the entire chorus to a Bluegrass song.
Back