Recent content by Good.Shepherd

1. Good.Shepherd

From Someone Who Hates Mallet Putters: A Strong Endorsement for Odyssey Tank Versa

WHO SHOULD CONSIDER: Golfers who prefer a heavier feel to a putter, and who benefit from a higher MOI putter. If you hit every putt on center every time, the higher MOI won't help. But if you could use the extra help to pad against off-center/off level hits, this putter will be an attractive...
  2. Good.Shepherd

14 Club Rule

Had a great conversation today on XM radio's PGA station about the 14 club rule. What struck me is how little is really understood about the origin of the rule (the USGA website tells a different story than other sites that track golf history) and why 14 was the magic number. . Now I know it's...
  3. Good.Shepherd

Pace of play idea: get rid of impossible rough.

I just had one of those never endiong rounds the other day--playing as a single. It was unreal. But they were booked ahead of me and there was a five in front of me and a six behind me. It started out fine, we weren't all bunched up and when the starter sent me out it was clear. But everyone was...
  4. Good.Shepherd

I've added distance to my shots this year. A lot.

One of the things I was always told--the big "trueism" of golf--was that you can't add that much distance. If you don't get it when you were young, you won't get it. That's false. Three times in my life I've either started golf as a beginner or taken 4+ years off and had to restart. Each...
  5. Good.Shepherd

How do you hit 200 yards?

I'm just curious how you guys do it. I can hit less. Easy. I can hit more. 230+ with a fairway wood but it's hard to be precise. Yet on Par 4s, I often find myself 200 yards out and it's an awkward but common distance for me. So I'm just curious how you guys hit it--clubs, swing...
  6. Good.Shepherd

Measuring the inches that affect your scorecard

So on advice from a great golf player I train with occasionally, I started tracking the "inches" in my scorecard. Essentially, Whenever I was just--literally--inches away from one stroke less. And I don't mean an Alabama gimme, but where it is legitimately close. Basically, whether I hit a...
  7. Good.Shepherd

The "Natural" transformation of Pinehurst and the future of golf courses

I know there's a lot of emotion about this here and there, especially for Americans, but I really hope that this type of course concept catches on. As a Colorado golfer, we've had "natural areas" more and more integrated into our courses over the years. And frankly, I find it gives golf courses...
  8. Good.Shepherd

WTB: 1913 US Open Golf Ball Marker

A mentor of mine, an older gentleman, has always loved the story of this US Open. He's a big golf fan. Anyway, he's had a few setbacks lately and I want to give him the marker as a gift to lift his spirits. Problem is, I can't find one. A few circulate ebay and I've bid on them but never...
  9. Good.Shepherd

Left eye dominant, right handed?

Talked with a professional putting fitter today. We were both on a training green today, and he mentioned that while I have a good stroke, I seem to be aligning a bit off. Made sense to me. He did a quick test and told me that I was left eye dominant but right handed, which can cause alignment...
  10. Good.Shepherd

REVIEW: Ogio Gotham Bag

I'm extremely hard to please when it comes to bags. I really like this bag. 1. The Ogio Gotham is a bag that tries to reference the lines of a staff bag while still being a high technology offering. It does this by using a very smooth material that doesn't look like standard "tech wear" in...
  11. Good.Shepherd

Odyssey Tank Cruiser Counterweights: How do they work?

What's the science behind the weighting? I know a good part is simply intuitive: what feels the best. But whats the science behind how the different weight packages work. For example, if I put more weight in the head and less in the shaft, what happens? Or what if I make the shaft heavier...
  12. Good.Shepherd

Reverse Overlap Grip?

So I love the interlock grip, but unfortunately, it's been tearing up my pinky and I've had a lot of hand pain. For the last two days, and hundreds of balls on the range and in sim (both), I figured I'd just go with a vardon grip. And I thought I was. Only, it's been a long time since I've...
  13. Good.Shepherd

Zen and the Simple Art of Golf

Disclaimer: this will be a longer post and a more full discussion of the topic. I'd handle it more incrementally, but many of these ideas function as a woven cord and do not really function so well in isolation. Please avoid the thread if longer discussions bother you as I have no desire to...
  14. Good.Shepherd

New poster from Colorado

Long time reader/lurker. Very active in other forums, but always just reading here. Happy to be more active here, now.
Back