Recent content by havingfun

1. havingfun

Are irons the least important clubs in the bag?

My hybrid has more or less replaced use of my fairway woods. A 3 and 7 wood are in my bag purely by habit.
  2. havingfun

Vintage Equipment Groups/Clubs/Organizations?

I'm aware of hickory golf organizations, but is there an organization for people who like equipment from the 1950's though 1970's? Pre-cavity back and pre metal wood? It would be fun to go out with a group to play a tournament with old Blue Ridge or Dynapower clubs. I spend hours looking...
  3. havingfun

The most you will pay for a casual round of golf?

Golf must be a little more inexpensive in my region than most of your's. I won't play more than $50 for a casual round, which gets me into the vast majority of courses in my region. I pay more to treat myself a few times a year or charity events.
  4. havingfun

Uniflex for a high handicap weekender?

I get to golf with friends a few times a month, during the summer. I'm a high handicap player, and I'm good with that. With a young family time is a priority. Perhaps someday I'll get back to lessons. For now, I'm just having fun. I'm using a set of circa-2010 game improvement irons, with...
  5. havingfun

Par-3 Courses ...

Bob Golby is from my home town. He had a par 3 constructed which was designed by Pete Dye. It's owned by the city now. I really enjoy it. There is water on fourteen holes. Unfortunately a tornado took down a lot of the trees decade ago and the new ones haven't grown enough to replace the...
  6. havingfun

I Hate Thieves

Someone broke into my shed. They took my bicycle and tackle box but left my golf clubs. They were obviously on foot.
  7. havingfun

Golf pro killed on course in Georgia

Such a terrible situation. I don't understand what is happening in this world. Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen.
  8. havingfun

Golf course has been bought by a property developer

I tend to play at lower cost courses. I can think of five courses, including the one that I learned on, that are now neighborhoods.
  9. havingfun

What is the reason to join a Country Club?

I've often felt behind in life. I was the poor kid at a private Catholic school and further, it took my career a little while to take off. Now I'm 35 and many of my friends posted pictures of themselves enjoying fireworks at their country clubs. Honestly, it mad me feel envious. Yesterday I...
  10. havingfun

No tool included - used adjustable clubs

Something that I find as annoying: missing head covers. My local shop sells used clubs, then has a bin with all of the used head covers that come with trade-ins. You have to hunt, purchase separately, and hope that no one else picked it out because they liked it.
  11. havingfun

Baker's Dozen Of Bagels

4 Everything 2 Poppy Seed 2 cheese type 2 Plain 2 Cinnamon (for people who like that kind of thing) 1 Locally a grocery chain sells an abomination called a St. Louis Pizza Bagel. It has a tomato baked in and provel cheese backed on top on.
  12. havingfun

1960's - 1980's Equipment Question (for long time players)

First: I'm placing this question in Golf Talk because the equipment forum is dominated by modern equipment reviews and this is more a curiosity. Background: Today most of us play with clubs that are easier to hit than the clubs the pros use. They have blades and small cavity backs that allow...
  13. havingfun

What Will Be the Next Trend In Vintage Headcoves

We've seen the return of knit head covers from the 50's with the pom-pon on top. Now we have the round sockless leather ones from the 70's. What will be next? I'm personally hoping for a return of the plush head covers of the 90's. The plush was thick enough to protect the club head and the...
  14. havingfun

Two Strap Bag Question

I bought an older model Ping Hoofer from Goodwill for $5.00. It’s in like new condition, but I can’t, for the life of me, figure out the straps. It has two independent straps that aren’t attached to each other in any way. Do I cross them? If so, where; top or bottom? Every configuration I...
  15. havingfun

Which Future US Open Are You Most Looking Forward To?

Now that the US Open at Oakmont is over we all must ask ourselves which future US Open are we most looking forward to?
Back