Recent content by Hoganman1

1. Hoganman1

The Masters is in a slump

I've been a fan of The Masters for over fifty years and have attended over twenty. It's a magical place. The committee strives for perfection and usually achieves it. Granted this year's final round wasn't as exciting as Friday or Saturday. Nothing against Scottie because he's a good guy and...
  2. Hoganman1

Tour Event 2024 Cognizant Classic in the Palm Beaches

With all due respect to those of you who have played this course and are enjoying this tournament; this is not what I want from professional golf. Granted, I'm old and have been a fan of the PGA Tour for over fifty years. While it's always great to see a young guy win his first Tour event; I...
  3. Hoganman1

Tell me what shoes to buy and i will buy them

I've been a Footjoy guy for decades and they are still my favorites. However, I recently found some inexpensive, waterproof shoes on Amazon called Fenlern. I bought two pairs to wear in the Winter when it's wet and/or muddy. So far they have performed well. They are made of some kind of...
  4. Hoganman1

Clermont National

I played Clermont National yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's in great shape. The greens were fantastic. They've cleaned up a lot of the surrounding areas and rebuilt all of the bunkers. The pace of play was slow, but I played as a single. It's Winter in Florida and we're coming off two solid...
  5. Hoganman1

Who is a player that you haven’t heard about in a while…

I don't follow LIV so I haven't heard much about Cam Smith. I think he has won one or two of their exhibitions, but I miss watching him play on the PGA Tour. Obviously, he will play in the Masters in a couple of months. With his putting stroke, he should contend at Augusta National.
  6. Hoganman1

What golf stuff did you buy today?

I just bought a Callaway Paradym 3HL and a Heavenwood to replace my Taylormade M2 3HL and 5HL. They performed well on the range. I can't wait to play a round with them.
  7. Hoganman1

There is so much good golf being played on the tours these days… why do I find my interest waning…?

I'm watching the WM Tournament now and there's really no excitement. There are a lot of birdies but most every par four is driver and wedge for these guys, Seventeen is interesting because of the risk/reward with trying to drive the green. It's clear that whomever makes the most putts is going...
  8. Hoganman1

There is so much good golf being played on the tours these days… why do I find my interest waning…?

I've found that I don't watch as much golf as I did years ago as well. Commercials are a deterrent. At least they do have the "playing through" feature sometimes. I still watch the majors and the Players religiously and I will probably watch the designated events on Sundays. So far I have never...
  9. Hoganman1

Clermont National

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will take some time for them to get it where they want it. The last time I played there a few years ago it was in really bad shape. I'm so glad it's back I can overlook the issues you mentioned. Looking forward to giving it a go next month.
  10. Hoganman1

Clermont National

It's a really interesting layout with a lot of elevation changes. I have enjoyed playing there ever since it opened. Unfortunately, it was in terrible shape for several years. I was looking back and the three courses I played most often in the early 2000s were Sanctuary (now Clermont National)...
  11. Hoganman1

Clermont National

I see the course is now open. I'll be back in Florida in February and cannot wait to play there. I see it's $90 but if it's in great shape,, I'm willing to pay that as the other courses around Clermont are around $65 in the Winter. Has anyone on this forum played there since they reopened? If...
  12. Hoganman1

Best country club for "Young Executive" in Charlotte, NC?

It's amazing how things have changed since this thread was created in 2019. Golf really exploded during and after COVID. I'm still at MPCC, but all I do there is play golf. It's way too crowded and getting tee times is like getting Taylor Swift tickets. I still think there are some good clubs...
  13. Hoganman1

How did you get into golf

Like the OP, my uncle introduced me to golf in the early 1960s. My dad was a hunter and a fisherman so he didn't play. About the same time a nine hole course opened in the small South Carolina town where I lived. My buddies and I played during the summer as a change of pace from football...
  14. Hoganman1

News: Ben Hogan Golf Closing Doors

So DSG has bought the Ben Hogan name? I know they have the Walter Hagen brand for apparel and Tommy Armour clubs. As I've said many times I am a fan of Hogan clubs. If the plan is to put Hogan's name on an inferior product, that is very disappointing.
  15. Hoganman1

What are you watching (No Spoilers)

We just finished Season 2 of The Lincoln Lawyer. It's great. I hope they do a few more seasons.
Back