Recent content by jmaier

1. J

WTB: 2012 Cleveland Mashie Hybrids

I'm looking for very good condition (minor face mark and sole scuffing is fine) 2012 Mashie M2 and M4 hybrids in the stock Miyazaki C. Kua 59 graphite stiff shaft. I'd take the pair for $100 shipped or a reasonable offer. Respond with face and shaft pics -- I'll regrip so grip size, condition...
  2. J

Flexible 58 wedge to replace current SW/LW pair

I'm going to try an experiment and replace my current SM5 54/60 wedge set with either the 54* SW from my XR set or a G30 54* I have laying around. I noticed that from the 80-105 yard range I miss more greens or hit more poor shots than I should. I'm actually closer to the pin at 110-130...
  3. J

Shaft advice/thoughts -- XR irons

I'm having a true love/hate relationship with my XR irons, stock Project X stiff (6.0) graphite shaft. I tend to have a rather sharp initial downswing and while i love the distance, I've never had worse iron dispersion since I started playing golf 8 years ago. I'm 56 and have a 6i swing speed...
  4. J

Ball Way Above Feet, In the Rough?

I've had this situation several times this year and I've badly flubbed each. The ball is lying on a hillside in the rough (2 inches or so) well above my feet. Probably at knee height. I basically have no idea what to do. In each case, I tried to close the face a bit, choke down, put it back...
  5. J

MP 52 Vs X24 -- Help Explaining the Results

In early 2010, I picked up a set of MP-52s. I didn't practice or play much last year and had indifferent results with these irons. Well, I almost always hit them straight but they were shorter, and a bit higher, than I would've liked since I regularly hit them toward (but not on) the toe...
  6. J

WTB: Ping Rapture V2 3W (16*)

I'm looking for a Ping Rapture V2 3W (16*) with the Mitsubishi Javln shaft in regular flex in the standard 43" length. Any grip is fine but I'm not interested in the TFC shaft. Looking for decent condition but I'm not put off by the odd scratch, scuff or minor skymark. Thanks, Jeff
  7. J

We love equipment but do changes make me better?

This is a blog/forum for golf and golf equipment so it stands to reason that frequent visitors are at least interested in the latest golf equipment, if we're not outright junkies. However, I'm interested in: How many of us actually think that definitive improvements in our game (specifically...
  8. J

I now know how the long hitters feel (high winds)

Played at Highland Park Country Club on Chicago's northshore today and shot my worst round in two years -- a 95. The sustained winds were over 20 with gusts to 30+ and the #1 & #2 difficulty holes -- both Par 5s of about 580 were dead into the wind. It was almost funny. Anyway, a long carry...
  9. J

09 Hybrid Shootout -- What Contributes the Hybrid Accuracy?

I was reviewing the results of the Hybrid shootout and noted the Adams a7 was most accurate. I'm curious about what more knowledgeable folks have to say about what makes a shaft more accurate? I'm currently bagging a Baffler DWS 20* (Aldila VS Proto By You 65(s)) and it is a very long...
  10. J

New Duffer from Chicago's North Shore

Hello All. I relocated to Evanston, IL from Indianapolis over the winter and I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the Chicago golfing scene. I'm an independent software consultant which requires a lot of hours but also great flexibility so weekday golf is great for me. This will be...
Back