Recent content by joebute

1. J

Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

This is what I mean by not understanding economics...
  2. J

The ones who say 'pricing effectively' are wrong, and don't understand the economy or the law.
  3. J

Agree. Not about scarcity... this is a stock-out, not a supply shortage. There is plenty of TP in the world. Unusual spikes in demand for the very short run are creating inventory management problems. Once that's sorted out everything will be back to normal.
  4. J

Campus Reform? Talk about pushing an agenda...
  5. J

Even here, people are flocking to restaurants and bars right up until the ban goes into effect. I think attitudes are influenced (even subconsciously) by the message that it's no big deal for healthy people. People hear "this probably won't kill you" and think "I'm not at risk". There are a...
  6. J

I don't understand the fixation with comparing this to the seasonal flu? It's not the seasonal flu. The CDC has a great graphic comparing seasonal illness to pandemic illness - check it out. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/about.html
  7. J

Coronavirus and the Masters

I don't think it will have the same appeal in the fall. In the spring people are excited about golf, the changing seasons, and the Masters capitalizes on that.
  8. J

How do you approach partial shots (touch shots under 100yds)

I have full swing yardages down to about 70 yards (lob wedge). By full swing, I mean a comfortable swing, I'm not usually going 100% with a wedge. I'm just saying I'm not purposefully trying to restrict anything. Less than 70 yards is just feel to me, because you need different shots to react...
  9. J

Could the COVID-19 virus actually “HELP” the golfIng industry?

I'm not seeing it. I think any widespread economic downturn would be bad for golf. The risk of infection is only part of the equation. If businesses close, consumer spending declines, and the market tanks, people will be squeezed financially. Seems unlikely to me that people would be looking...
  10. J

Forward/ladies tees are way too long

I don't think that's true. If you're requiring a tee shot, a layup, and an approach shot, you've effectively changed the hole into a par 5. Therefore a bogey golfer should expect to score 6, not 5, on this hypothetical par 4. Forcing a bogey golfer to play for doubles on most holes sounds...
  11. J

Do You Ever AIM For the Bunker?

I understand it for the pros - they're so good with routine bunker shots. Usually they're taking that bet vs. laying up and trying to get up and down from the fairway. I'll bet my up/down percentage from 50 yards and a fairway lie is very similar to my chances from most bunkers. So for me, it...
  12. J

Par 3 Struggles

Depending on the yardage I think par 3's can be the most difficult greens to hit on the course. They're usually longer than your typical par 4/5 approach shot, and the greens are better protected. If I have a short iron in hand, I'm looking for par and the middle of the green. If I'm hitting...
  13. J

Scott Piercy Social Media Comments

The common link between Kaepernick and Piercy is how their public image reflects on their sponsors. Nike thinks Kaepernick is sending the kind of message they want to associate with, and Titleist thinks Piercy's message is damaging. These are business decisions, made by companies trying to...
  14. J

Scott Piercy Social Media Comments

Hard to argue hypotheticals, but that's not necessarily true. High profile athletes can be even more damaging to a brand when they screw up. There have been some big names dropped recently because of stuff like this. That said, the top players usually land on their feet, and get new deals...
Back