Recent content by KingsKraken

1. KingsKraken

Van Halen Fans - DLR or Sammy?

Steve Vai! I remember being 11 years old and blown away by how he made the guitar “talk” at the beginning of Yankee Rose.
  2. KingsKraken

Van Halen Fans - DLR or Sammy?

When I get in the mood to listen to Van Halen now, I never end up picking anything after 1984. Van Hagar was ok - I even saw them live in ‘92 - but it’s DLR all the way for me.
  3. KingsKraken

Yay or Nay on Cracker Barrel

No Cracker Barrels near me, but my parents love the place and always take me there for breakfast when I visit them. It’s meh. I’ve had worse breakfasts. I’ve had better. I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat at one.
  4. KingsKraken

Breakfast Pizza - Yay or Nay?

Breakfast burrito 100%. I’d say I eat, at least, one every week. We gave up trying to find a good breakfast burrito since leaving SoCal though, so we just make them at home now. I’ll pass on breakfast pizza. Pizza is all about the interaction of the crust, tomato sauce, and cheese for me. No...
  5. KingsKraken

Your favorite coffee mug

I never developed a taste for coffee, so I don’t own any coffee mugs. I drink a Red Bull every morning instead.
  6. KingsKraken

Musicians???

Yeah, HB is great option for anyone on a budget, or for people who want an affordable tool to get the job done without caring about the name on the headstock. For me, I’ve been playing more acoustic than electric since buying a Flamenco guitar a few years back. I was looking to replace an old...
  7. KingsKraken

Musicians???

I decided to take a flyer on solid wood acoustic guitar from Harley Benton. For those who don’t know the name, Harley Benton is Thomann Music’s house brand. Thomann is sort of like Germany’s version of Guitar Center. Their guitars are Chinese made on the cheap side, but they’ve gotten a lot of...
  8. KingsKraken

Buying an electric car

I bought my first house with a yard five years ago, and I bought all electric yard tools to avoid all that maintenance. I love them. My mower and leaf blower are still going as strong as the day I bought them.
  9. KingsKraken

Buying an electric car

I’ve had a hybrid electric for 5 1/2 years. It’s obviously different from pure electric in that I can gas up for long trips, but even before I was working from home, I hardly ever used the gas until the car told me I had to because it was getting stale. That‘s with only 41 miles of electric...
  10. KingsKraken

Covid vaccine - what were your side effects?

About six years ago, I was walking to the bathroom when I started feeling lightheaded. I immediately sat down on my bathroom floor, in case was about to pass out, which had happened to me once many years prior. Next thing I knew, I was waking up on the floor of my bathroom and the back of my...
  11. KingsKraken

I’m almost 24 hours from getting the shot and the pain I described above is almost gone, just feels like a bruise when touched now.
  12. KingsKraken

Got the first Pfizer dose yesterday afternoon. My arm was really sore last night, like somewhere in between getting punched really hard and the feeling after a gym workout that went way too far. It hurt a lot to move certain ways, like raising my arm over my head. Pain level went down this...
  13. KingsKraken

Relatives that served in WWII

Both of my grandfathers fought in the European theater. Neither talked much about it, aside from one of them explaining how he got the prominent scar on his arm. He was shot while behind enemy lines and had to swim across a river, while holding his arm on, to get back to the friendly side. The...
  14. KingsKraken

Software developers. Talk to me.

Happy to help! One last thing, learn the basics of digital electronics. Computers aren’t much more than a huge bank switches (in this case a bunch of transistors, which act like a switch, crammed into a CPU chip) where a switch being on represents a 1 and a switch being off represents a 0 (aka...
  15. KingsKraken

Software developers. Talk to me.

Figured I’d answer this as well. Here’s my typical day as a web application developer/architect: 1. Start work and check emails and instant messages. 2. Put out any fires that started since I left work the previous day. 3. Start coding on the highest priority feature/bug assigned to me, which...
Back