Recent content by leftshot

1. leftshot

Newest Club In Your Bag?

Titleist Vokey wedge. 56-degree, 10 degrees of bounce, M-grind. Got it two months ago. Wedges wear out every 2-3 years.
  2. leftshot

The best shot of the round

Today was all about the distance gain resulting from my offseason work, so we'll go with a drive. I had several drives to pick from, but I'm picking this one. The longest hole on the course you launch from the top of one hill over a ravine and try to get it as close to the top of the next hill...
  3. leftshot

What did you shoot today?

The score was not good...80. But I can't stop smiling! I've done several things in the off-season to get back distance at age 67. I had several drives between 250-275 yards and all clubs are longer. Can't remember the last round I went long on this many greens. The swing changes aren't...
  4. leftshot

How much difference do your fitted clubs actually make?

Hope you all watched the video. Pretty amazing how, with a couple of swings, Bryson dissected the major fit issues with lie angle, shaft flex, and the timing of the kick of the shaft. While he didn't comment on it, notice the ease at which he adjusted how far he had to bend at the hips on full...
  5. leftshot

How much difference do your fitted clubs actually make?

I had a scratch golfer take my low profile Orlimar driver and started stripping it after only one swing. I was a 20 handicap at the time and really struggled with that club. So, yeah who is swinging the club matters. The other question is what would Bryson have scored on those same 6 holes...
  6. leftshot

Driving Range

Hillarious! In large part because if you've been around the game long enough you have encountered at least one real-life example of this guy.
  7. leftshot

Worst Club Tech Name?

I worked in high tech for 40 years, primarily in marketing. You just don't know how this works. Jailbreak was the name chosen by Callaway's marketing department. Callaway's marketing department filed an application to trademark the Jailbreak name on January 25, 2016 in the Toys and Sporting...
  8. leftshot

Worst Club Tech Name?

Yeah, I get that. But so what? What it looks like inside the head, where you can’t see it, isn’t going to do squat to sell your clubs, and communicates nothing regarding what the technology does or why it would be advantageous to you as a golfer. It was a big miss! Compare that to a name...
  9. leftshot

What did you shoot today?

Rollercoaster round, eh Jman?
  10. leftshot

Worst Club Tech Name?

The name or in industry terms, the handle chosen for a technology or innovation can be a great advantage. But more often than not companies completely fumble the ball. So many examples of this. I’ll just give one as an example to get the ball rolling. Jailbreak - while the products Callaway...
  11. leftshot

Is driving or putting harder? The math...

Sure you can. Are you familiar with Strokes Gained Driving and Strokes Gained Putting stats?
  12. leftshot

Is driving or putting harder? The math...

Since this is a math thing, a couple of things to point out. On a standard par 72 course we are allotted 14 times using driver and 36 times using the putter. By the math, the use of the putter has a weighted advantage when determining which has more impact. However, a poor drive will almost...
  13. leftshot

Contemplating Retirement - Describe Your Transition

She has! However, we decided the large garden she was working on probably wasn't a good idea at this life stage. I've got new grass growing there. Plenty of landscaping besides that to keep us busy.
  14. leftshot

Contemplating Retirement - Describe Your Transition

I owe you all an update. A year and a half later, we are now settled into our new home in Central Pennsylvania. Things we did well. Decided to move to an apartment initially so we could get the lie of the land and not have all the pressure of trying to sell one house and buy another on the...
Back