Recent content by Paladin

1. Paladin

Are the USGA and R&A really doing what’s best for the game?

I think USGA and R&A believe they are doing what is in the best interests of an incredibly small percentage of course owners and designers by making certain prestigious clubs viable with their current layouts longer, and hypothetically making certain other prestigious clubs and courses viable in...
  2. Paladin

Your Name on Your Bag?

My wife did it for my current bag, and I like it. So sure, no reason not to.
  3. Paladin

Best value in putters?

Cleveland Huntington Beach putters remain the best value out there. Speed-matching faces on milled putters for $200? Can't beat it.
  4. Paladin

What do you consider forgiveness?

A draw-based driver is one that sets up closed at address, is more upright, has more offset, is weighted to have heel-side bias, or some combination of all of those things. It's not forgiving to someone who struggles with a hook.
  5. Paladin

What do you consider forgiveness?

Retention of ball speed across a higher percentage of the face is the only definition of forgiveness I've seen that makes a lick of sense. Having more of the club face react to impact as if the ball had struck the hottest part of the face.
  6. Paladin

Favorite Opening Hole in Golf

Tot Hill Farm. It's downhill, long, slopey, and looks like it's cut out of a mountainside. It's not Mike Stranz' best course I've played, but I think it's the most Mike Stranz course I've played.
  7. Paladin

What iron do you want to see ball comparisons done with?

If I were going in for a ball fitting, I'd want to use my 6-iron because it's either the longest club I can say I have a decent amount of consistency with, or the shortest club where I can say mis-strikes aren't uncommon, but aren't so egregious as to be shots I can just toss out.
  8. Paladin

Top 10: Who has the worst year?

Scottie Scheffler. He had an almost unsustainably good year tee-to-green. It only makes sense that he will regress towards the mean. But no one wakes up one day and is a great putter.
  9. Paladin

Rolling the Ball Back For Good?

I think my issue is not so much the idea that the ball might get rolled back but the mechanics of how will have outsized impact on certain subsets of golfers far more than others. If the USGA forces a ball that spins more, for example, the longest hitting pros won't be impacted nearly as much by...
  10. Paladin

How much benefit do you think strength has for your swing?

The golf swing is predicated on rate of force production, which is a function of acceleration, which can be improved by two things: proprioceptive timing (getting your body in the right position at the right time in your golf swing) and strength (as muscles are needed to accelerate and...
  11. Paladin

Golf Hoodies: Where do you stand now?

Love 'em. I like that it's a nice looking sweater with a hood so I can have something to keep a cold wind or hot sun off my neck. I don't need the front pocket, and I don't like bulky clothing. Got a Johnnie-O 1/4 zip hoodie that is, to me, the perfect sweater.
  12. Paladin

Hardest Club to Replace?

I'll never get rid of my 3W. Honestly, it'll be an emotional experience when it does get replaced.
  13. Paladin

What is the best part of your game?

Right now, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I am putting really well. Took 27 holes to get warmed up at Kinderlou, but in the past few trips to the course I have been putting really well for me. Certainly helped me scare 40 in 9 a couple of times in November.
  14. Paladin

What's your bag?

Jones Co. Trouper R has been the only bag I've needed. Had it for ~18 months now, see no reason to change.
  15. Paladin

Your best driver ever.

Cobra Fly-Z+ was a great driver for me. Not sure why I replaced it.
Back